Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
ZEISS Summer Savings - Experience unique moments of nature. Save up to £250 on selected ZEISS Binoculars - limited time only!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

MM4 77mm

Old Thursday 15th August 2019, 14:01   #26
dipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Avery View Post
Does the MM4 77 ED with its shorter focal length have as crisp an image as the ES 80 ED or does the weight saving come at the cost of some optical quality?
I think it's more likely to come down to which is the best specimen with the least aberrations.
Old Friday 23rd August 2019, 15:56   #27
Jonathan Avery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Avery View Post
I have an MM4 60 ED and must compare the MM4 77 ED with it when I get a chance (maybe next week).
I had the opportunity to compare the MM4 60 ED side by side with the MM4 77 ED earlier this week on a birding trip to Norfolk. The MM4 77 has a bigger brighter image and obviously a further reach than the MM4 60. However, to my eyes, the colour in the MM4 60 looked more intense and vivid (is the technical term saturated?). I have to say that this was just an impression on a quick look through both scopes and was in no way a rigorous technical comparison. It was based on one sample of each model although the colour intensity of the MM4 60 demo model did remind me of my own MM4 60.

I am not an expert optics analyst so I would be interested to know what other people think.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: