• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Visiting Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary (Keoladeo National Park) (1 Viewer)

Joshua-B

Hi everyone
My group is currently in the final stages of planning for a school trip to India in January, and I've managed to convince everyone that we should visit Bharatpur Bird Sanctuary. As no-one else in the group is a really really keen birder like me, I was wondering how easily accessible the park is?

We were thinking of travelling from Jaipur to Agra and stopping for a few hours at the sanctuary, then heading off and arriving at Agra the evening (the next day is spent at the Taj Mahal and shopping ;) ). Many of the group would be interested in other animals in the park, so being able to see both mammals and birds would be great!

I was wondering, is it actually possible to see at least some of the sanctuary in 3/4/5 hours, and what is the best way to go about accessing it? Any recommendations (eg; walking, cycling, getting a guide, etc?)

Regards
Josh

Last edited:
Hi Joshua - you will definitely have a great time even with just 2-3 hours at Bharatput. Right at the entrance you can hire rickshaws operated by bird guides - they can take 2-3 people per rickshaw and they know the park well and where to find wildlife, both birds and mammals. Even non-birders will be impressed by the Bharatpur bird spectacle but will also enjoy Nilgai and other wildlife. Ask the guides if there are any pythons when you are there. Have a great time! Best wishes
Adam

Thank you both!!! I'm definitely looking forward to going there, even if it is only for a few hours ;) Would anyone be able to give me an idea of the cost of park entry and hiring a few rickshaws (for 15 people), and maybe a guide?

Hi Joshua-B,
Please remember that Bharatpur in recent years is often dry and has few waterbirds. Many landbirds, like owls and nightjars, are still found. This changes every year and it is best to contact Indian birders for the current situation.

I loved Bharatput (when I went some years ago), but we spend 3 days there. I would find out how long a trip it is, because while it is "good", I'm not sure it would be "spectacular" for people spending twice as much time traveling as being there. That is to say, I'm not completely sure that in 2 hours you would see things that would make everyone say "wow", but others can speak to that too.

When we went we rented and rode bikes, but I don't know if they still let folks do that. I guess that fees won't be that high, I'm sorry I can't contribute any "up to date" info though.

Last edited:
It's a shame it's so brief, as it takes long enough to get from the gates to the first water! Your crew asking you to spend a couple of hours at Bharatpur is the equivalent of getting them to spend 3 seconds at the Taj Mahal! Agree with Gretchen you need days. Try and swing an overnight stay if you can.

I still think it would be worth visiting, even if just for a few hours and I am sure that it will be appreciated even by non-birders and maybe foster an interest in birding. I have been informed that the park has now been granted a permanent water supply from the Chambal River so the waterbird spectacle will now be annual and guaranteed.

Yeah, I'm going to be trying to convince everyone to stay there for as long as possible - hopefully I will be successful ;)

Note the rickshaws can only go along the main tracks, if you are confident of your own skills or simply like the birding, I'd recommend either walking or renting a bike. Guides not bad if you want the owls or nightjars, they know where they roost. Otherwise, Bharatphur is simply idyllic for birding alone/

As for the non-birding folk you travel with, provided Bharaphur has water, they can not fail to be impressed - the place positively drips with birds, pythons and turtles are reasonably easy to find and deer should be noted too.

Last edited:
Yeah, I might have to consult the group as to what we want to do there.
Jos - are the pythons around during winter? I would have thought they were sleeping...?

Our visit in January, we saw one disappearing into his hole. He was right in the area marked "Python Corner" (or something similar) on the map. Our sighting was kind of mid-day I believe. It was not the close end of the park, and we didn't take time then to try to find more....

Used to be a Tiger Area too (a corner of the park where the tiger was supposed to remain and people shouldn't go) - we wondered if the tiger was completely clear on his boundaries, but we didn't run into him!

I can find out the latest situation for you as I have a friend who runs Sunbird Hotel there. If you don't have much time then you are definitely better off getting a cycle rickshaw guide, because the ride in is quite long before you get to the birds. Here's a link to my last trip, I've been three times, twice when it was wet and once when it was dry. The difference is staggering.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kittykat23uk/sets/72157614414371596/

If you don't have much time then you are definitely better off getting a cycle rickshaw guide, because the ride in is quite long before you get to the birds.

Agreed quite a long way, but simply renting a bike rather than rickshaw and guide is another solution for the independent-minded.

Jos - are the pythons around during winter? I would have thought they were sleeping...?

Yes, they are. Ask around near the small temple inthe middle of the park.

Keoladeo NP (Bharatpur) has lost most of the glory.

Here is a message from Delhibird-mail-list;

"We (Family) visited Keoladeo National Park, Bharatpur, on 20 Oct 2011. The
place was a disappointment. There were no birders that we saw & about 50
tourist Indian and foreign. The hotel we stayed in Kadam Kunj- we were the
only occupants of the hotel.

There is very little water. The heronary is scattered along the road with
not more than two to three hundred Painted storks. You can hear the chicks
but these are not visible from the road. Saw some open bills and Spoonbills
flying over head. Near the temple the water body on the left of the road has
water but no nesting. A lone common Kingfisher was seen diving for fish. A
snake bird caused a commotion in the water with the small fish almost
running on the water for 10 ft.

As you turn left at the temple, 30 ft turn left again, we could see the
heronary in on small area which had a mix of Painted stork, Ibis, Egret,
openbill, Cormorant etc. This was the largest heronary in the park.

Early morning on the stretch before the water starts we saw 7 spotted owlet
on one tree, white eared & red vented bulbul, Hornbill, Red breasted
Flycatcher, Indian robin, Number of Magpie Robins, Wabbler which I could not
ID and was unable to take photos. Lone Woolly necked Stork, Darters flying
overhead, the common White Throated Kingfisher. Etc"

The dead acacia-trees are numerous in Keoladeo as there are so little water. Villagers are alloud to collect wood from Keoladeo wich are good, cause they clear the park to be more open than it would've been without the wood collecting.

I would recomened a visit to Bund Bhareta. Ususally more water there and more birds. BB need one full day to make it a fare visit.

Last edited:
Josh...if you are able to convince your group to get to Bharatpur in January, would very much appreciate an update of how you got on, especially having seen the extract in post #18. I had understood that the allocation/diversion of ground water to Bharatpur had been sorted....I had also thought that this year's monsoon had been 'above average' in Rajasthan. Interested as I have a couple of days there in early March....never been before, although I do understand that Bharatpur can be rewarding even if drier.
Many thanks

Thanks for that detailed info Lappkrabben :) I'd be happy with only 200 Painted Storks ;)
Sneil: I'll make sure I write up a trip report and PM you when I get back

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back