• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Viking Swallow scope, anyone looked through one? (1 Viewer)

Colin 57

I've been happy birdwatching just with binoculars for many years, but lately I've been wondering whether possibly a compact scope and tripod would be worth taking along to bring more stuff within watching range. I've decided to start with something at the cheaper end of the market and after a while, depending on how much I actually use it, I might then get something of more quality.

I'm thinking, for now, of a Viking Swallow 12-36x50, 625gms, £129. Unfortunately it is difficult to find any reviews of this scope on the internet. No-one seems to have anything to say, good or ill, about the thing, suggesting maybe that it is a sound, but unspectacular scope. The question is, how unspectacular? I would be grateful if anyone who has looked through one would care to say a few words.

Hi Colin

I've looked through it a number of times and have been pleasantly surprised. It provides a clear, sharp view even at full zoom. If you're into the technical aspects of it, I've artificially star tested and whilst I'm no expert it has provided better results than more expensive larger but still cheap telescopes. It's led me to believe it may be easier to manufacture a smaller scope with good optics than a larger one.

Certainly as a starter scope I don't think you can go wrong. The range has just been expanded too with 65mm and 80mm models with zooms 16-48 and 20-60x. I've not seen through these so can't comment, but of course these are more expensive.

From your post I presume you have not had a chance to look through one yet which is the next step...

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back