• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonfly Larva case ID please. (1 Viewer)

T&E

I noticed this dragonfly larva case on a reed stem at the edge of a small woodland pond late morning yesterday. I`m trying to identify it, the nearest I can get is maybe a Four Spotted Chaser.
Does anybody have any ideas please?

Attachments

• Dragonfly Case Chambers 3 7 2018.jpg
    Dragonfly Case Chambers 3 7 2018.jpg
    249.1 KB · Views: 33
It's either an emperor or a hawker - if you have collected the exuvia then a measurement of the length and a photo of it from above (so we can see the eye shape) and below (so we can see the mask) would be useful.

Thanks Paul. This is the only photo I have, I saw it from the other side of the pond and couldn`t get any closer.

Eileen.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back