• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Box Help. (1 Viewer)

birdman

Орнитол&
I am looking to put some bird-boxes up in my garden, so I am hoping that BF members can give me some advice and/or share their experiences.

I have a normal UK two storey brick house (detached), with a rear garden that faces SE-ish. The garden has a 6 foot wooden fence, but the back and one side are used as a thoroughfare by a few of the local cats – so I am reluctant to fix any to the fence.

I am fortunate enough that our garden faces out over a largely green (scrubby) area, with a pond and a wood within easy flying distance of our house (not sure if that's a good or a bad thing bird-box wise!).

Our garden is still less than 1 year old, and whilst it is become more attractive to the birdies – there is not an awful lot of cover available.

What I'm after is any suggestion as to suitable boxes, how many and how high!

I you need any more info, just ask.

Thanks all…

My rear garden faces east-south-east. It gets the sun ion the morning,, but even in mid June the sun goes from the wall about 1.00pm. I have two nestboxes mounted on the house wall 8' apart and 8' above ground so as the birds aren't disturbed by people walking past. Blue Tits have nested for the last two years.
I have 5' high wood fences around three sides of the garden from which I have hung nest pockets which a Robin and Coal Tit have explored. We used to have problems with cats, but don't at the moment.
An alternative I did consider was simply erecting a free standing 8' fence post and attaching a nest box to the north side of it or even a box to the end of the shed.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back