• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Couple of days in Exemouth. (1 Viewer)

Shaggy2070

On monday 7th Dec I going to the Imperial Hotel, Exemouth for a couple of days on a coach holiday. I've never been before so is there anywhere in easy walking distance for a couple of hours birding one day?

Glen.

Yes there is.

Walk towards the river (behind the railway and bus stations) and look out over the water and mud. May take a couple of goes to get the tide right.

From the west end of the prom, looking over the estuary mouth towards Dawlish Warren can be good.

Or walk eastwards up the coast path to Orcombe Point, and check the fields around there.

Good luck.

I'd hop on the train to Topsham (10 mins) for a look out over the mudflats Bowling green marsh

Avocet should be there by now with Mergansers, Grey plover, Godwits and of course Geese.

Offshore from Exmouth (and Dawlish) is good for Great crested grebe.

Had a nice relaxing couple of days. Went on the Exmouth river cruise and managed to see quite a few species of wader and other water birds but missed out on the 3 hour Birdwatching trip.

Quite a few Little Egret, Brent Geese, Cormorant, Shag, Curlew, Redshank, Distant Godwits (not sure if Black or Bar Tailed|:$|), family of Great Crested Grebe, Shelduck and Widgeon. Various Gulls, Pied Wagtails and Rock Pipit at the Marina.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back