• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Whats this a Pencil (1 Viewer)

Bigshent

Biddulph Birder
I'm no Artist and never will be its something your born with but I enjoy looking at wonderful works of art. Nearly anyone can pick up a camera & take a pretty good shot but picking up a pen brush or pencil and producing work like Tim (id have the lot if id got £s) Phil master of the sketch pad, nick, Russ, and a chap I cant remember his name (Mr Bic Pen) + many more is a hell of a skill.
Well I have not picked up a pencil in 25 years (since leaving school) but looking at all the art on here I did. Its not worthy for a forum of this quality but I enjoyed putting pencil to paper & will do again if only for my own pleasure. I wont be a regular poster but keep up the gob smacking work for us all to enjoy:t:

Attachments

• scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    317.2 KB · Views: 331
  • scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 338
Nowt wrong with those two pics mate :t: Certainly a LOT better than I can do :-O

Look forward to seeing more at YOUR pace - no point in doing art if it becomes a chore instead of fun and relaxing, is it? :king:

Well all have to start somewhere in life, what ever we do, Painting or Photography. Having now done both, and starting with very basic knowledge, Ive progressed slowly....but my listerning, watching and trying for yourself, learn from your mistakes and most of all, enjoy the ride.....Changes do happen, all to different degrees..

WOW Paul - these are great, man. The textures you're introducing here, paricularly the avocet piece, contribute to very accomplished work. Your lines are sensitively but confidently made. Lovely work - but take Gill's advice; do it for yourself and at your own pace. Just make sure you post the results here!!!

you say that your no artist......well I'd hate to see if you were, nowt wrong with them, don't be so hard on yourself, its all practice....mark

so glad you did pick up the pencil again! DO post what you do, when you can - there's nothing but enjoyment to be had in doing so. Some really lovely work there.

Many Thanks for kind words!I had an hour last night whilst the Mrs was watching I'm a celebrity get me out of here:-C Looks like I may treat myself to some pencils instead of pinching the kids & nip to the Library for some basic art books

Attachments

• scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
I had an hour last night whilst the Mrs was watching I'm a celebrity get me out of here:-C Looks like I may treat myself to some pencils instead of pinching the kids & nip to the Library for some basic art books

You so should! For someone who claims to be 'no artist' these show a great deal of accomplishment. Well done and keep doing!

Mike

I'm no Artist and never will be its something your born with but I enjoy looking at wonderful works of art. Nearly anyone can pick up a camera & take a pretty good shot but picking up a pen brush or pencil and producing work like Tim (id have the lot if id got £s) Phil master of the sketch pad, nick, Russ, and a chap I cant remember his name (Mr Bic Pen) + many more is a hell of a skill.
Well I have not picked up a pencil in 25 years (since leaving school) but looking at all the art on here I did. Its not worthy for a forum of this quality but I enjoyed putting pencil to paper & will do again if only for my own pleasure. I wont be a regular poster but keep up the gob smacking work for us all to enjoy:t:

Hi there,
Not sure I fully agree with your comments here. True, talent is required to be outstanding, but hard work, application and enthusiasm will take you a very long way, at least I'm led to believe! I don't consider myself a talent compared to what's on offer on BF. What you see from me is the product of many, many hours field sketching. Some of time I'm not birding as such; I go out solely with drawing/sketching in mind. Most of it I find very enjoyable; in the wind and cold it's more a labour of love.
Are these done from life? If so they are a thousand miles better than I could manage a few years ago. Advice? Listen to the guys on here, don't be afraid to experiment (unlike me!) and enjoy!

Keep 'em coming.

Russ

so glad you did pick up the pencil again! DO post what you do, when you can - there's nothing but enjoyment to be had in doing so. Some really lovely work there.

Have to agree with Nick, Tim and all the others. There's nothing but enjoyment to be had in continuing to work and posting it. These are really very nice drawings, esp. after a 25 year absence.

I had a another little play after the kids were in bed. My last post on this thread for a bit untill I improve or aquire a lot more of my own blury digiscope images to copy off:-O

Attachments

• scan0007.jpg
    scan0007.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 186
  • scan0002.jpg
    scan0002.jpg
    266.9 KB · Views: 155
  • scan0001 (2).jpg
    scan0001 (2).jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 161
Had another little play using pen instead of pencil, tricky to say the least:-O Ok its no Mr Bic Pen but to be honest Im quite happy with the results for a non artist:t:

Attachments

• scan0014.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 174
  • scan0016.jpg
    scan0016.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 170
  • scan0013.jpg
    scan0013.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
It is easy to be self deprecating as an artist ( I am rarely happy with my own work) However, practice does bring it's own rewards - I enjoy the proccess so much particulary when working in the field - I have spent the last few years documenting my artistic adventures and although I can look back with a critical 'eye' - it is the subjects that inspire my work, that are the 'stars of the show'
www.amblingartist.com

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back