• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Using - enjoying quality optics... (1 Viewer)

John M Robinson

Hello all,

I haven't posted much in recent years because, believe it or not, I quit obsessing about minutia and just started using my binos.

I joined back in 2009 when my old Leitz Trinovids died and I was ready for an upgrade. This site was an eye opener (forgive the pun), I learned more about how binoculars were designed and constructed, strengths and weaknesses of the highest of high, forum members likes and dislikes and much-much more. I believe a year of reading, posting questions and listening to answers on this forum is equivalent to a university degree. I learned so much from this site over several years, that most bino salesmen seemed dumb by comparison.

Based on what I learned here, combined with lots of testing at various stores and my limited budget, I bought, sold, traded and borrowed a number of high end binos including Zeiss 8x32 FLs, Swarovski 8.5x42 ELs, 10x42 CLS, Leica Trinovid 8x32 BNs, Ultravids of all sizes, Pentax DCF and Nikon SE's 8x32 and 10x42. I discovered a few salient facts regarding myself; 1) All of these optics are very-very good. 2) Everybody's different. Some people complain about blackouts with the Nikon SE's, not an issue for me, very easy view actually. On the other hand, though I love the view and contrast of all the Leica products, I get blackouts with all their 32mm size bins. I see CA in high contrast situations, but can null it out by centering my bins, so it really doesn't bother me. 3) There is no perfect binocular, everything's a compromise, you just have to figure out what's important and what minor flaw you can accept for the greater good.

Anyway, after several years I found myself obsessing over this site more than actually using my bins in the field, and when I did use them I'd focus more on the tiny faults than the wonderful view. Finally one day I just started using them and realized they work pretty damn good. I currently own seven pair of nice binoculars, but I really only use two; my 8x32 SE's and if it's raining, my 8x42 Ultravid BR's. I just started reading this forum again as I'm very interested in the proposed retro Trinovid 7x35. It might not be waterproof, and not quite as good optically as the latest EL or Noctovid, but I love that small package, and if the view is half as good as the best, I would use them and love them. I hope they do release them, otherwise I'm still pretty well set.

Your experience sounds similar to my own. I never really obsessed about what people were writing about whatever latest thing came along, but I did go trough some high end bins along the way. I also share a preference for Leicas.

I also wound up with one pair of Leica and one of Nikon as my primary birding bins. In my case 8x32 BNs and 8x30 EIIs. My reaction was opposite of yours in that the BNs fit me perfect w/o blackouts. or any issue actually, and 8x32 SEs were a constant fight with blackouts, hence the EIIs.

One of my realizations was that I prefer roof prism bins for their form while holding and how the hang from a strap. Recently selling the EIIs, I'm down to the 8x32 BNs and more recently picked up a mint pair of 12x50 BNs for use with a mono or tripod.

I don't mind the fact that I'm not using the current ne plus ultra or if someone alludes that I shouldn't believe my lying eyes. I know what I see, and do not see, and somehow am quite happy using these great bins.

BTW, I also got excited at the prospect of the "new Leitz" 7x35 Trinovid. I'm not holding my breath that Leica will ever bring it out however.

Cheers

Last edited:
I started from the Astro crowd, wanting big and cheap, though I have been using some 12x36IS for many years very happily. Started wondering about wide angle and learnt about the ancient art of the Japanese Porro, ending up with some Rangemasters... everything else is like looking through a straw. I had some concern when I found out about the magic papilio... tiny and very narrow field of view... but I got some and it’s mesmerising using them and transporting yourself into the world of the little crawly bugs.
As you say, it’s easy to obsess, the cure is to just get out there and enjoy the view when and wherever you can... all the optics will allow you to see more/closer/better.

Peter

John,

Welcome back to Birdforum, just curious what are the other five glass in the closet, I have a few located in mine also. With respect to the Trinovids a delay or possible cancellation may have been transpired, but what do I know? I also enjoy both of the aforementioned glass, (Leica=the best contrast IMO) the SE will go down as the best 8X32 IMO, I also don't have a problem with blackouts/kidney bean shadows.

Regards,

Andy W.

John,

Welcome back to Birdforum, just curious what are the other five glass in the closet, I have a few located in mine also. With respect to the Trinovids a delay or possible cancellation may have been transpired, but what do I know? I also enjoy both of the aforementioned glass, (Leica=the best contrast IMO) the SE will go down as the best 8X32 IMO, I also don't have a problem with blackouts/kidney bean shadows.

Regards,

Andy W.

Thanks for the welcome Andy. The other five in no particular order are; 6x30 Leupold Yosemite, Pentax 8x42 DCF, Fujinon 7x50 MTRC, Nikon 10x42 SE and my original Leitz 7x35 Trinovid that's in pretty bad shape.

Nice selection, you have all the viewing formats covered. I also have the SE 10X42 a great light glass with almost perfect edge detail even at distance. Regarding the Leitz, I have a couple in 7X42 B with the flexible rubber eyecups, which I got replacements for at $25 a piece from Leica, pricy but justified to me.
I found out on this forum about Company 7 who actually will work on them, also Suddarth Optical. Leica even told me they can repair them, but I think will likely sub the work out. There are others on the forum who know more about those Leitz models, a great glass, built like a tank with very fine metal, work fit and finish. The optics are not what is offered to today, but still a pleasure to view with.

Andy W.

Your experience sounds similar to my own. I never really obsessed about what people were writing about whatever latest thing came along, but I did go trough some high end bins along the way. I also share a preference for Leicas.

I also wound up with one pair of Leica and one of Nikon as my primary birding bins. In my case 8x32 BNs and 8x30 EIIs. My reaction was opposite of yours in that the BNs fit me perfect w/o blackouts. or any issue actually, and 8x32 SEs were a constant fight with blackouts, hence the EIIs.

One of my realizations was that I prefer roof prism bins for their form while holding and how the hang from a strap. Recently selling the EIIs, I'm down to the 8x32 BNs and more recently picked up a mint pair of 12x50 BNs for use with a mono or tripod.

I don't mind the fact that I'm not using the current ne plus ultra or if someone alludes that I shouldn't believe my lying eyes. I know what I see, and do not see, and somehow am quite happy using these great bins.

BTW, I also got excited at the prospect of the "new Leitz" 7x35 Trinovid. I'm not holding my breath that Leica will ever bring it out however.

Cheers

Hi Kevin, I remember we both agreed the little 8x32 BN was a wonderful combination of view and ergonomics. I liked it better than the 32 mm size Ultravids, though the Ultravids were lighter. I just loved the feel of the BN's in the hand, and I loved the view, but for a minor issue with black outs.

I actually bought an 8x32 BN brand new and both SE's, 8x32 and 10x42. I took both 8x32s on an extended trip that winter. I was out in the field every day and spent hours comparing them. If I only had the BNs I would have adapted my hold and been happy with them, but day after day, the little SE's were just easier, with an equally good view. That said the waterproof issue would have tilted me toward the BN's if I didn't already own the larger 8x42 Ultravids to cover my needs in bad weather.

To illustrate my point about different strokes for different folks, I also love the feel of the little SE's in my hand, and don't have any issue with the way they hang. I suppose I could really analyze the way they hang, but I don't want to ruin them for me. Suffice it to say, I've carried them for years with the stock Nikon strap, and have never noticed a thing. The larger 10x42 SE's are another story, wonderful optics, but I hate carrying them or even holding them. Of all my viewing I'd say I use the 8x32 SEs 65-70% of the time, 8x42 Ultravids 25-28% and the 10x42 SEs 2-3%.

Nice selection, you have all the viewing formats covered. I also have the SE 10X42 a great light glass with almost perfect edge detail even at distance. Regarding the Leitz, I have a couple in 7X42 B with the flexible rubber eyecups, which I got replacements for at $25 a piece from Leica, pricy but justified to me.
I found out on this forum about Company 7 who actually will work on them, also Suddarth Optical. Leica even told me they can repair them, but I think will likely sub the work out. There are others on the forum who know more about those Leitz models, a great glass, built like a tank with very fine metal, work fit and finish. The optics are not what is offered to today, but still a pleasure to view with.

Andy W.

My Leitz died in the late 90's, so I sent them back to Leica New Jersey. They sent back a repair estimate, almost $500.00 was more than the cost of some really good new glass, so I passed. I'm pretty well set with what I have now, so I'm not holding my breath on the new 7x35 Trinovids, but if they do come out I would definitely check them out.

I agree w/the overall message. Once one has a set of bins that perform as desired, it is best just to use and enjoy them. I use my bins a lot. However, I have a great affection for bins (and bicycles), so I can't help but be interested in the latest models (or at least significant new features/tech or combinations of specs). I like to know about them, but the technology is quite mature and most new models do not do anything better for my uses than what I already own, so I resist making purchases. I'll only add a bin now if it represents a significant step up from what I already have. I'm fairly certain that I've only purchased two bins for myself since 2007 (and no bicycles since ~2005). One is the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL SV (of late pre-FP vintage). The other, purchased a couple weeks ago, is the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket. It is stunningly good to an extent that I have trouble comprehending. Those two bins, along with the Pentax 6.5x42 Papilio do everything I need a set of bins to do. I can say now that I don't see a point to future purchases, but that's what I've been saying since ~2005 and yet (embarrassing enough), my favorite and currently most-used bins are quite recent (i.e. "latest and greatest") models! So where does that leave these sentiments?

--AP

Alexis, I'm also into bikes, though I live in NW Montana where it is a five month a year activity. A few years ago I found a 74 Raleigh International which was my favorite bike back in the day. It is pretty mint and has become my favorite rides. I'll have to check out the Zeiss 8x25 Victory Pocket, sounds like my kind of binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back