Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Where are all the 8x32 SF reviews? After all the speculation...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old Thursday 15th October 2020, 16:26   #101
[email protected]
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by eronald View Post
No, but I’ll buy you a drink :)

Edmund
Is that a promise? If I ever make to Paris with this Covid stuff I will take you up on that.
denco@comcast.n is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th October 2020, 16:27   #102
[email protected]
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Colorado
Posts: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Sounds like a great idea. May I join you?
I would like to buy you both a Chimay Blue.

Lee
Sounds good to me! Are you sure though at $18 a bottle!

"Chimay Blue, 9% ABV darker ale. In the 75 cl bottle, it is known as Grande Réserve. This copper-brown beer has a light creamy head and a slightly bitter taste. Considered to be the "classic" Chimay ale, it exhibits a considerable depth of fruity, peppery character."

Last edited by [email protected] : Thursday 15th October 2020 at 16:30.
denco@comcast.n is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th October 2020, 20:27   #103
Mark9473
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: 51°N 4°E
Posts: 382
Only €5.50 for that bottle here.
Sounds like the US importer slaps on a hefty surcharge.
Mark9473 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 15th October 2020, 22:45   #104
xaver
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Nordschweiz
Posts: 14
Ok, here's a late evening thought. As it often happens these days, I'm sitting at my computer shortly before midnight and have the SF 10x32 on the table simply because it feels so nice to pick it up from time to time (does this sound a bit strange?).

I read quite often that "at 152 mm, the overall length of this model exceeds the average length normally associated with a 32 mm binocular" (https://www.birdguides.com/reviews/z...32-binocular/#).

What if Zeiss had tried to redefine binoculars for the everyday use of birdwatchers? To set a new standard and replace our 42 binoculars with 32? Because that is how the SF 32 feels to me: not a small-sized binocular that fits into a jacket pocket but a regular birding binocular, slimmer and lighter than our traditional models, but with a top level of optical performance.
xaver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th October 2020, 08:02   #105
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Holger Merlitz in https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/...410#msg-448410 says this about SF32: "The Zeiss is very bright, with high edge definition and - you can hear! - without a noticeable green cast."

Holger is a pretty astute judge of binoculars and clearly deliberately looked for a colour cast and didn't find it.
Lee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias Mennle View Post
Green. The unforgivable sin. As the high intensity magenta coatings suggest. Thanks for pointing that out, Kimmo. Saves me time and money.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Tobias, post 97,
The brand new Zeiss Victory SF 8x32 I have here in front of me certainly does not have a green color cast, it is slightly more brown-red pointing at a slightly higher light transmission in the red part of the spectrum in comparison with green and blue.
Gijs van Ginkel


Gijs

See the quote from Holger Merlitz who looked for, but did not find, a green cast in SF32.

Lee
__________________
"You are never alone, with a sheep"
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th October 2020, 08:30   #106
Gijs van Ginkel
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: utrecht
Posts: 1,982
Lee, post 105,
So I am in good company.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs van Ginkel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th October 2020, 10:08   #107
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly
 
Chosun Juan's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Central West NSW, Australia
Posts: 8,173
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Lee, post 105,
So I am in good company.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs - would you say the colour cast you saw was like a light tint of "corned beef" ...... ?





Chosun
Chosun Juan is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 16th October 2020, 10:40   #108
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaver View Post

I read quite often that "at 152 mm, the overall length of this model exceeds the average length normally associated with a 32 mm binocular" (https://www.birdguides.com/reviews/z...32-binocular/#).

What if Zeiss had tried to redefine binoculars for the everyday use of birdwatchers? To set a new standard and replace our 42 binoculars with 32? Because that is how the SF 32 feels to me: not a small-sized binocular that fits into a jacket pocket but a regular birding binocular, slimmer and lighter than our traditional models, but with a top level of optical performance.
You may be right. IMHO it is very clear what has defined the length of SF32 and that is to make available sufficient room for the average hand to achieve a normal open-hinge grip, with 1st finger on the focus wheel and the other fingers wrapped around the optical tube as shown in the pic.

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4361 Red.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	136.5 KB
ID:	739962  
__________________
"You are never alone, with a sheep"
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th October 2020, 11:23   #109
pm42
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Paris
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
IMHO it is very clear what has defined the length of SF32 and that is to make available sufficient room for the average hand to achieve a normal open-hinge grip, with 1st finger on the focus wheel and the other fingers wrapped around the optical tube as shown in the pic.
I agree that the SF is very comfortable. On the other, the Swaro relative compactness and the Ultravid extreme compactness can compensate. I tried all of them and I think it is more a matter of preference.
I would switch to an Ultravid tomorrow if it had the optics of the Zeiss for instance.
pm42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 16th October 2020, 11:48   #110
Gijs van Ginkel
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: utrecht
Posts: 1,982
Chosun, post 107,
The differences are small, you could call it for the SF a slightly warmer image impression and the NL's whites are brilliant white, some may call it cooler, but every word I write can be misunderstood, you must see it and experience it. Both binoculars feel as taking a warm bath, I can not describe the color as corned beef, that is far too red. Moreover I am a vegetarian, so I have to dig in my imagination as you will understand. The best thing you can do is: go to a shop and buy both or take the time to look at a bright white surface and experience it and start mourning that you did spend so much money. Both binoculars are a joy to use by the way. If you have weight lifting problems: the SF weighs 603 g and the NL 875 g.
I hope that his is clear, if not please ask.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs van Ginkel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 17th October 2020, 05:18   #111
b_reynolds_ak
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_reynolds_ak View Post
I returned the 10x32's as I just did not have the comfortable viewing experience that I hoped for. I think I may give the 8's a try though. I placed a backorder for them, as they seem to have sold out of stock in most places in the U.S. already.
The larger exit pupil and decreased magnification may prove to be more relaxed.
Has anyone tried both the 8's and 10's outside in real conditions that may be able to comment on this?
Also, would a larger exit pupil make any difference in blackouts or decreased field of vision at the respective eye cup positions?
To answer my own question, yes the 8x32 SF’s are easier to look through and less sensitive to eyecup position than the 10’s. The 8’s just arrived today and already they are noticeably easier for me to use comfortably. I don’t get the rolling ball effect that I was getting with the 10’s. Despite the very large fov with the 10’s, you still only have a 3.2 mm exit pupil. You can’t get away from that and if you want a more relaxed viewing experience, you’ll have to just go to a bigger exit pupil. I’m really just starting to understand this through experience and not just on paper.
I also have a pair of 2020 manufactured Swaro 8x32 EL’s on hand at the moment. As a direct comparison between the two, the SF’s have a noticeably wider fov. Weight balance is pronounced between the two, with the SF being more ocular heavy and feeling lighter in hand while using. Shining a light into the oculars and viewing through the objective lens, you can see prisms and internals of the Swarovski’s. The same view through the Zeiss is very different. It’s almost entirely dark. The Swaros even have an exposed stainless rod in the top part of the objective side that is completely exposed, which was quite surprising. These observations made it pretty apparent to me why the Zeiss handle glare better the the EL’s. Not to be a binocular butterfly... but I’m back on board with the Zeiss SF.
b_reynolds_ak is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 17th October 2020, 16:57   #112
Swissboy
Registered User
BF Supporter 2020
 
Swissboy's Avatar

 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Sempach, Switzerland
Posts: 3,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by xaver View Post
post 104.............

What if Zeiss had tried to redefine binoculars for the everyday use of birdwatchers? To set a new standard and replace our 42 binoculars with 32? Because that is how the SF 32 feels to me: not a small-sized binocular that fits into a jacket pocket but a regular birding binocular, slimmer and lighter than our traditional models, but with a top level of optical performance.
The problem is that with this there is still the smaller exit pupil. I have yet to experience an equally easy view with a x32 that the corresponding x42 delivers. Thus I doubt that Zeiss had in mind what you suggest.
__________________
Robert
--PS: That's a Sooty Falcon on the avatar, photo taken near Sharm el Sheik, Egypt. My highest priority raptor at the time.
What's your species on the avatar? I often have no clue
!
Swissboy is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 17th October 2020, 19:10   #113
pbjosh
Registered User

 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Buenos Aires
Posts: 1,350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissboy View Post
The problem is that with this there is still the smaller exit pupil. I have yet to experience an equally easy view with a x32 that the corresponding x42 delivers. Thus I doubt that Zeiss had in mind what you suggest.
Of course it's hard to know what Zeiss design philosophy was. But an 8x32 has essentially the same exit pupil as a 10x42... and it does seem that the "critical" break in exit pupil size is somewhere below 3,75mm, es evidenced by the popularity of 8x30, 8x32, and 10x42 while 10x30/32 remains a much less common format. Of course 8x42 is more comfortable than 8x32 for eye placement, and worse for the neck/shoulders :) I think that the number of 10x42 seen vs 10x50 is a bit of evidence that exit pupil isn't the only consideration, 800-900g seems to be a "critical" break as well, with most birders not wanting to carry a larger bin all day.

Personally I view the SF32 (and the SV32 FWIW) as competition for 42mm bins rather than as competition with truly compact bins (like the MHG/CL and perhaps UV 8x32)
pbjosh is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 17th October 2020, 22:50   #114
eronald
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Paris
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
Sounds like a great idea. May I join you?
I would like to buy you both a Chimay Blue.

Lee
Lee,

I would be honored.

There is the question though of when things will return to normal.
There’s a big birding meet in Abbeville every spring which I guess some members usually would attend.

Edmund
__________________
My sketches http://instagram.com/edmundronald
eronald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Saturday 17th October 2020, 22:59   #115
eronald
Registered User

 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Paris
Posts: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Is that a promise? If I ever make to Paris with this Covid stuff I will take you up on that.
I will be delighted. Bring some of your collection and we’ll point them at the seagulls fighting the ducks in the Luxembourg garden pond.

Edmund
__________________
My sketches http://instagram.com/edmundronald
eronald is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 00:38   #116
binomania
Registered User
 
binomania's Avatar

 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Valganna- Italy
Posts: 289
Hi from Italy...
I love MTB and I own an enduro bike: my new purchase has 160mm of travel and flies over rocks and branches, flies over everything... I started in the late 80's with a completely rigid bike and each trail was a real physical exercise.. What I mean? Well, that the difference from the first models to the new ones is obvious. I only had improvements and immense pleasure in using it.
Of course now my enduro mtb has forks, I have to adjust the preload, the pressure, but I don't have to stop during the lap to continue making adjustments .
Therefore, still talking about binoculars.... if I have to struggle to use 8X binoculars with 9 degrees of field, I prefer to use 8X binoculars with 8 degrees or even less.

I understand that it is nice to have a very large field of view, but, at first, i have to see my raptor friends well and i want less glares between me and them :-)
By the way i don't think that the problem is a big field of view, I don't think it's a cause.. My SF 8x42 works well also with 8.5°. Speaking of other things, i am very very sorry but I don't agree that SF32 has the same glare issues as NL PURE as i read , here on BF. I have been using the SF 32 with my SF42 for days. I took part in global birding today and had no problem with glare in 10 hours as I did in the three to four hours a day testing the NL PURE.
I believe that as far as glare is concerned the SF32 is more correct. I love NL PURE, I like it a lot, but I hope Swarovski tries to improve the situation.

Having the good fortune of being able to use dozens of binoculars every year for binomania,
I don't take part with a particular brand. I have favorite binoculars from various brands. (Canon 10x42, APM 100 SD, Docter Aspectem 40x80, Kowa Higlander, Docter Nobilem 8x56, Leica Trinovid 8x32, Zeiss SF 8x42, Nikon EDG 10x42, Nikon 8x30 E II, Victory Fl 7x42, Vixen 6.5x32, Sard 6x32 and many others). I'm not creating a war between Zeiss and Swarovski, mine are just very personal impressions on the field..


In any case, I don't think I'll sell my SF42 for the SF32, I use binoculars in many situations and still prefer the 8x42 exit pupil. But I'd like to see the latest mechanical-optical innovations used on the SF32 in the SF 42.
Once again I hope not to sound like an idiot with my bad English .. happy Sunday everyone from Italy.
Piergiovanni
__________________
Piergiovanni Salimbeni
www.binomania.it binoculars and spottingscopes reviews.
https://www.youtube.com/c/binomania
If you want, subscribe to my youtube channel

Last edited by binomania : Sunday 18th October 2020 at 00:52.
binomania is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 05:29   #117
b-lilja
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: US
Posts: 198
Well, I bought them.

Spent the day with the 8x32SFs. Really incredible binoculars. My main hesitation is the yellow/green - it is there - but I was looking for it, and compared to the Conquest HD, Nikon SE, and Leica 8x32 BNs, more neutral in most situations. Somehow spending over $2k for bins makes you much much more picky.

More to follow.
b-lilja is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 08:11   #118
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by eronald View Post
Lee,

I would be honored.

There is the question though of when things will return to normal.
There’s a big birding meet in Abbeville every spring which I guess some members usually would attend.

Edmund
Thank you Edmund. There is also the problem of my lung condition which means I have to be extra cautious about Covid-19.

There is also BirdFair in the UK in August, which might tempt you over La Manche, but events like this are not certain to happen next year.

Lee
__________________
"You are never alone, with a sheep"
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 09:53   #119
nzwild
Registered User

 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Canterbury
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by binomania View Post
Hi from Italy...
Therefore, still talking about binoculars.... if I have to struggle to use 8X binoculars with 9 degrees of field, I prefer to use 8X binoculars with 8 degrees or even less.

I understand that it is nice to have a very large field of view, but, at first, i have to see my raptor friends well and i want less glares between me and them :-)
By the way i don't think that the problem is a big field of view, I don't think it's a cause.. My SF 8x42 works well also with 8.5°. Speaking of other things, i am very very sorry but I don't agree that SF32 has the same glare issues as NL PURE as i read , here on BF. I have been using the SF 32 with my SF42 for days. I took part in global birding today and had no problem with glare in 10 hours as I did in the three to four hours a day testing the NL PURE.
I believe that as far as glare is concerned the SF32 is more correct. I love NL PURE, I like it a lot, but I hope Swarovski tries to improve the situation.

Having the good fortune of being able to use dozens of binoculars every year for binomania,
I don't take part with a particular brand. I have favorite binoculars from various brands. (Canon 10x42, APM 100 SD, Docter Aspectem 40x80, Kowa Higlander, Docter Nobilem 8x56, Leica Trinovid 8x32, Zeiss SF 8x42, Nikon EDG 10x42, Nikon 8x30 E II, Victory Fl 7x42, Vixen 6.5x32, Sard 6x32 and many others). I'm not creating a war between Zeiss and Swarovski, mine are just very personal impressions on the field..


In any case, I don't think I'll sell my SF42 for the SF32, I use binoculars in many situations and still prefer the 8x42 exit pupil. But I'd like to see the latest mechanical-optical innovations used on the SF32 in the SF 42.
Once again I hope not to sound like an idiot with my bad English .. happy Sunday everyone from Italy.
Piergiovanni
Well written insightful thoughts. I appreciate the way you have put so much into context. Thank you.
nzwild is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 10:02   #120
paddy7
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: suffolk
Posts: 738
On exit pupil and 32mm binoculars, i speak as a convert to the size. It is obvious the 4mm of the 8x32 is reduced from the 5mm+ of the 8x42 - the implications being less light (provided you are capable of a 4mm+ dilation of the pupil) and perhaps a trickier eye position.
However, the difficulty with reviews and eye position with 32mm is that often the correct position is a matter of familiarity and technique, which develops over time.
For someone used to larger EPs to go onto a 8x32 for a few hours in order to evaluate a review model - and then give it back - is perhaps tricky in this regard.
The binoculars i do own are various sizes. After using one model extensively, adapting to a change often takes a period of assimilation, after which hitting the sweet spot in regard to eye placement is not a problem.
I have never used 10x32mm, so this might be more difficult - i can't say.
However, 8x32mm has been my most-used format for some years - i may lose 20mins of light at the end of the day on gull roosts etc. but other than that, i can't say i've had a problem with eye placement - after a short adaption period, if i've been using something else previously.
paddy7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 10:04   #121
paddy7
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: suffolk
Posts: 738
I should add that sufficient eye relief and eye cups that properly exploit this is probably an essential element....
paddy7 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 11:33   #122
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy7 View Post
On exit pupil and 32mm binoculars, i speak as a convert to the size. It is obvious the 4mm of the 8x32 is reduced from the 5mm+ of the 8x42 - the implications being less light (provided you are capable of a 4mm+ dilation of the pupil) and perhaps a trickier eye position.
However, the difficulty with reviews and eye position with 32mm is that often the correct position is a matter of familiarity and technique, which develops over time.
For someone used to larger EPs to go onto a 8x32 for a few hours in order to evaluate a review model - and then give it back - is perhaps tricky in this regard.
The binoculars i do own are various sizes. After using one model extensively, adapting to a change often takes a period of assimilation, after which hitting the sweet spot in regard to eye placement is not a problem.
I have never used 10x32mm, so this might be more difficult - i can't say.
However, 8x32mm has been my most-used format for some years - i may lose 20mins of light at the end of the day on gull roosts etc. but other than that, i can't say i've had a problem with eye placement - after a short adaption period, if i've been using something else previously.
I agree wholeheartedly Paddy.

I would think that those who do not wear spectacles would find no difficulty in using the exit pupil of 32mm binos since their eye sockets surely guide the eyecups into the right position. I hesitate to be dogmatic about this though as there surely is a huge variation in facial structures but the eye sockets are surely better guides than the featureless glass of spectacle lenses that give no help in positioning and allow the eyecups to skid around if you aren't careful.

On the question of 10x32s, I only experiemented with this format fairly recently and found them no problem at all despite being a spectacle wearer.

On the question of 32mms binos in general, I find them plenty bright enough during the day and seldom use binos at dusk, except when reviewing.

Lee
__________________
"You are never alone, with a sheep"
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 11:44   #123
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 10,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gijs van Ginkel View Post
Lee, post 105,
So I am in good company.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs

I notice that one member on Post 5 of this thread https://www.birdforum.net/showthread...51#post4074651 reports a 'blueish tint' for SF32.

It only demonstrates that we each see things a little differently.....

Lee
__________________
"You are never alone, with a sheep"
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 11:59   #124
Gijs van Ginkel
Registered User

 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: utrecht
Posts: 1,982
Lee, post 123,
There is a saying in Dutch, that someone who is very much annoyed "sees green of annoyance". But that does not apply here I suppose.
Gijs van Ginkel
Gijs van Ginkel is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Sunday 18th October 2020, 13:06   #125
pm42
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: Paris
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
I notice that one member on Post 5 of this thread https://www.birdforum.net/showthread...51#post4074651 reports a 'blueish tint' for SF32.

It only demonstrates that we each see things a little differently.....
I wonder if there is a way to measure it. I tried by shooting a color chart through the binoculars and setting the same white balance, exposure...
One would need a lot of binoculars to calibrate the process though.

Another solution would be to use a spectrometer (which I have) like allbinos does but once again, not 100% sure one can easily detect a slight tint.
pm42 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Alula reviews of Zeiss 8x32 FL Swissboy Binoculars 2 Thursday 4th April 2019 15:02
Allbinos - recent reviews of 8x32 models. NDhunter Binoculars 2 Tuesday 8th September 2015 04:18
Pentax Papilio, Zen Rays & Speculation of Admiration Nixterdemus Zen Ray 30 Wednesday 20th April 2011 04:18
'Golden eagle' speculation mounts (BBC News) BF Newsroom Live Bird News from around the World 13 Wednesday 23rd April 2008 07:40
idle speculation Surreybirder Butterflies and Moths 34 Wednesday 28th September 2005 08:30

{googleads}

Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.13794494 seconds with 40 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:36.