Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Discover the ZEISS Digital Nature Hub

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Where are all the 8x32 SF reviews? After all the speculation...

Old Friday 25th September 2020, 05:35   #1
b-lilja

Where are all the 8x32 SF reviews? After all the speculation...

Come on...haven't people received theirs yet?
Old Friday 25th September 2020, 07:55   #2
Troubador

I recently got 8x32 but haven't had a chance to take it to places different from those used in my review. We have plans to do this in November and I will report in December.

Lee
Old Friday 25th September 2020, 10:18   #3
eronald

Lee,

I am afraid your contributing another wonderful review would not resolve the mystery of why the dog didn’t bark this September night. The NL release evoked strong(er) reactions.

Edmund
Old Friday 25th September 2020, 12:35   #4
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by eronald View Post
Lee,

I am afraid your contributing another wonderful review would not resolve the mystery of why the dog didn’t bark this September night. The NL release evoked strong(er) reactions.

Edmund
Edmund
It remains to be seen whether the next report will be wonderful or not. It won't be a full review but it will take place in dramatically different habitats and weather from those experienced during my severe lock-down at the time of the original review. So the comments and conclusions may differ from the earlier review.

And it is not so much of a mystery as to why a totally new model from Swarovski, with a totally new model name, taking the place as top of Swarovski's binocular line-up and displacing the most successful premium bino model in modern times, the Swaro EL, should arouse more interest and speculation than 'another SF' from Zeiss.

And actually scanning back through Birdforum pages the level of interest shown isn't as different as I (and perhaps you) thought:

About SF32, 12 threads and 134,000 views
About NL, 14 threads (including mine about the shape/baguette and one speculating about an NL32) and 165,000 views

Lee
Old Friday 25th September 2020, 12:50   #5
range

You can read my review with a translator.
http://www.bggd.com/bbs/forum.php?mo...=450881&extra=
Old Friday 25th September 2020, 12:57   #6
Patudo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post

And actually scanning back through Birdforum pages the level of interest shown isn't as different as I (and perhaps you) thought:

About SF32, 12 threads and 134,000 views
About NL, 14 threads (including mine about the shape/baguette and one speculating about an NL32) and 165,000 views

Lee
I'm impressed by your dedication to the task of researching the level of Birdforum interest in both models. The one metric, of course, that isn't shown is the total number of posts in threads relating to each model. I wonder what those numbers might be? ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by range View Post
Thank you sir. I'm reading your notes right now.
Old Friday 25th September 2020, 13:49   #7
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patudo View Post
I'm impressed by your dedication to the task of researching the level of Birdforum interest in both models. The one metric, of course, that isn't shown is the total number of posts in threads relating to each model. I wonder what those numbers might be? ...
You are right of course but this consideration is not as simple as it might seem. Posts can only be made by members but the site-traffic by guests who visit but do not join (and so cannot post) far outstrips the numbers of members who post. So although the number of visits can be boosted by the same people revisiting, this applies to both members and guests and of course to both the Swaro count and the Zeiss count. And it is arguable that re-visiting is of itself a relevant indication of continuing interest.

Then there is the fact that not all posts are about the main topic of the thread........

To give an idea of the difference between Members numbers and that of guests, when I originally posted this there were 200 Members logged on and 1257 guests visiting. Right now as I type this there are 175 Members logged on an 1589 guests visiting.

Overall I think the numbers of visits stemming from a far wider audience than only the members, is probably a fairer indication of the level of interest.

Lee

Last edited by Troubador : Friday 25th September 2020 at 16:47.
Old Friday 25th September 2020, 14:57   #8
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

I ended up getting one. I actually got it yesterday(yesterday was a good day for binoculars!) I looked thru it BRIEFLY and put in on my digital scale. I was pleased with with ER which is going to be a little more than I need. I may go the o-ring route AND the weight which was 21.3 ounces. It's going to be a while before I get to really use it. College football(SEC) starts tomorrow. I do have a birding trip planned for the gulf coast in October. So hopefully sometimes after that.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1583.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	738314  Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1581.jpeg
Views:	212
Size:	124.1 KB
ID:	738315  

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 25th September 2020, 15:51   #9
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by range View Post
Nice review and very informative. Thanks!
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 02:09   #10
lmans66
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-lilja View Post
Come on...haven't people received theirs yet?
I have to admit...I am surprised at the lack of any review too.... I was really interested in this at one time, and many people seemed to pre-order....but not much to read since. Very surprising....the lack of reviews might be 'telling perhaps?' ....

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 02:23   #11
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmans66 View Post
I have to admit...I am surprised at the lack of any review too.... I was really interested in this at one time, and many people seemed to pre-order....but not much to read since. Very surprising....the lack of reviews might be 'telling perhaps?' ....
They cancelled their pre-orders when the NL came out!
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 04:04   #12
b-lilja

I actually have looked through them, my comments are on the Swaro comparo thread, but I just was surprised not to see more thoughts and I am curious about others' impressions.

I'm not gonna spend $3k on bins. NL's out.
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 04:10   #13
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Everything so far has been extremely positive.
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 04:58   #14
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2020

Quote:
I think in the big scheme of things that an 8X32 is not quite as popular as a 8X42. Hunters generally aren't interest in 32mm and neither are astronomers. I also think many scratched the SF itch with the 42mm. No doubt the NL stole a little of the 32mm SFs thunder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-lilja View Post
I actually have looked through them, my comments are on the Swaro comparo thread, but I just was surprised not to see more thoughts and I am curious about others' impressions.

I'm not gonna spend $3k on bins. NL's out.
I think more impressions will be forthcoming. I'm not about to post anything after I've had one for two days! I believe if something were amiss Jan and Lee would have said so.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 2020 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 07:08   #15
Chosun Juan
Given to Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
...... No doubt the NL stole a little of the 32mm SFs thunder.
Chuck - most of the thunder ?

It was indeed unfortunate for Zeiss with the timing of the Swarovski NL .... for the sake of a several extra metres Fov it is like it is completely overshadowed .... !

The other thing that I think was a factor is the size - it's getting big and heavy for a 32mm. Not overly so by any means, but it's only ~2oz (~60g) lighter than a Nikon 42mm MHG. Personally I think Zeiss would have been better off going with the MHG form factor - that may not have saved any length, but it would have knocked some grams off and lost nothing in ergonomics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chill6x6 View Post
I think more impressions will be forthcoming. I'm not about to post anything after I've had one for two days! I believe if something were amiss Jan and Lee would have said so.
Chuck - look forward to your impressions - particularly the handling, size, weight in comparison to the 42mm MHG. Also, how the glare performance of the 32SF stacks up - would be very interesting if you could somehow manage to compare it to the Swaro 8x42 NL.

Chosun

BF Supporter 2016 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 07:26   #16
Canip

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Not everything - Holger Merlitz‘ very first encounter with the 8x32 seems not to have gone extremely positive, see his initial impression in a German optics forum:

https://www.juelich-bonn.com/jForum/...410#msg-448410

Canip

Last edited by Canip : Saturday 26th September 2020 at 07:36.
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 08:07   #17
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Ranges review wasn't extremely positive either. He also commented on blackouts like Holger which was interesting.

Last edited by [email protected] : Saturday 26th September 2020 at 08:10.
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 11:25   #18
PYRTLE

Here come the bashers! Full of expectation prior to production, that's fine, then being dissapointed with this and that and quick to "evaluate" the binocular to the assembled crowd as a ""could have been better".

I concur that the announcement and timing of the NL probably affected purchases of the SF32 and the resultant panic by some lemmings saw a few hurried cancellations and changes to pre orders.

Now, the baying crowd is seeking fresh blood - why no reviews yet, ( the McDonald's Syndrome ), but meanwhile here's some negatives to satisfy the craving for a while.

It is after all just a new alpha binocular. Here are two more review comments, as per the thread title......

1. Got my 8x32 today - first impression is very positive!!! More perhaps later.

I registered the new SF on Zeiss' website and found that experience a bit less positive - Zeiss now says that the warranty period is generally only 2 years (!) from date of purchase, but if you register, the "extended warranty period" is 3 years. This is valid for products purchased after Dec. 15, 2018.

So definitely gone are the times when we got 10 years warranty on Zeiss binoculars. And since I recently had to send in several of my Zeiss binoculars due to beginning internal fogging (all binos less than 5 years old, so clearly product quality issue), for me the reduced warranty period is not necessarily going to instil a lot of confidence when considering to buy future Zeiss products.

Canip

2. Unbelievable but true--- many years ago it was 30y, more recently 10y, and now it's 2y:
https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-produ...istration.html
This basically means that if you bought a pair of used Zeiss binoculars you would likely have no warranty.
Thanks, Canip, for the heads-up.

Last edited by PYRTLE : Saturday 26th September 2020 at 11:43.
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 11:28   #19
PYRTLE

"(I think more impressions will be forthcoming. I'm not about to post anything after I've had one for two days! I believe if something were amiss Jan and Lee would have said so.)"

Chucks comments above are the most sensible response on this thread.
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 13:42   #20
paddy7

I'd have to say the unfortunate release timing of the SF (with the NL around the same time) is largely Zeiss' fault. There was talk of the 32mm SF probably 5 years ago - i remember discussing it at the time the grey 42mm became the black version. There have been teasers and comments of 'soon, soon' on trade stands for the intervening period.
There were threads on BF along these lines too - discussions of how big it would be if it followed the 42mm SF's lens characteristics etc.
I can't remember another release that has been so long discussed, and so drawn out.
I also can't believe that Zeiss and Swarovski are not aware of each other's R and D and impending new models, or when they are likely to hit the retailers.

So what happens now? A 32mm Noctovid?
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 14:54   #21
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYRTLE View Post
Here come the bashers! Full of expectation prior to production, that's fine, then being dissapointed with this and that and quick to "evaluate" the binocular to the assembled crowd as a ""could have been better".

I concur that the announcement and timing of the NL probably affected purchases of the SF32 and the resultant panic by some lemmings saw a few hurried cancellations and changes to pre orders.

Now, the baying crowd is seeking fresh blood - why no reviews yet, ( the McDonald's Syndrome ), but meanwhile here's some negatives to satisfy the craving for a while.

It is after all just a new alpha binocular. Here are two more review comments, as per the thread title......

1. Got my 8x32 today - first impression is very positive!!! More perhaps later.

I registered the new SF on Zeiss' website and found that experience a bit less positive - Zeiss now says that the warranty period is generally only 2 years (!) from date of purchase, but if you register, the "extended warranty period" is 3 years. This is valid for products purchased after Dec. 15, 2018.

So definitely gone are the times when we got 10 years warranty on Zeiss binoculars. And since I recently had to send in several of my Zeiss binoculars due to beginning internal fogging (all binos less than 5 years old, so clearly product quality issue), for me the reduced warranty period is not necessarily going to instil a lot of confidence when considering to buy future Zeiss products.

Canip

2. Unbelievable but true--- many years ago it was 30y, more recently 10y, and now it's 2y:
https://www.zeiss.com/consumer-produ...istration.html
This basically means that if you bought a pair of used Zeiss binoculars you would likely have no warranty.
Thanks, Canip, for the heads-up.
According to the enclosed warranty card the SF 32 has 10 years warranty.

Jan
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 22:14   #22
b-lilja

And still...no recent reviews for units hitting the market!
Old Saturday 26th September 2020, 23:31   #23
b_reynolds_ak

I just received my 10x32’s in the mail today.
Initial impressions are that the view is certainly immersive, something I highly value in my optics.
A couple quick thoughts: The diopter adjustment has only one detent at “0”. This could be slightly annoying while pushing back in, if it moves slightly after making your adjustments.
The eye relief is really big, however the space between the 4 positions is quite large. At the 3rd position, I get blackouts if I hold them securely up to my face. At the 4th position, I lose field of view. This could be an issue for myself. I am going to see the Swaro winged eye cups will fit later this evening, which may effectively make the 3rd position fit a little better.
I expected to be completely sold on these when I got them, but still undecided as of now if I’ll be moving away from Swarovski or not. The 10x32 EL’s were great, except for the horrible glare for me. Currently I have a new pair of 8.5x42’s, which is the bino I’ll be comparing these to, not for a direct comparison for anyone else per se, but for my own needs.

Last edited by b_reynolds_ak : Saturday 26th September 2020 at 23:59.
Old Sunday 27th September 2020, 02:17   #24
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_reynolds_ak View Post
I just received my 10x32’s in the mail today.
Initial impressions are that the view is certainly immersive, something I highly value in my optics.
A couple quick thoughts: The diopter adjustment has only one detent at “0”. This could be slightly annoying while pushing back in, if it moves slightly after making your adjustments.
The eye relief is really big, however the space between the 4 positions is quite large. At the 3rd position, I get blackouts if I hold them securely up to my face. At the 4th position, I lose field of view. This could be an issue for myself. I am going to see the Swaro winged eye cups will fit later this evening, which may effectively make the 3rd position fit a little better.
I expected to be completely sold on these when I got them, but still undecided as of now if I’ll be moving away from Swarovski or not. The 10x32 EL’s were great, except for the horrible glare for me. Currently I have a new pair of 8.5x42’s, which is the bino I’ll be comparing these to, not for a direct comparison for anyone else per se, but for my own needs.
That is the third report of issues with the eye cup length and blackouts with the SF. Must be a problem.
Old Sunday 27th September 2020, 03:02   #25
dries1

With the 8x32 format, ergonomics. i.e. facial features will in some ways dictate how they perform to a specific individual. No doubt the consumer market has been jaded by the pandemic, as some time passes lets see some more folks with the SF 8X32 give more opinions. I mean the NL 8X42 is a heavy glass for some, and will not be first choice for everyone, so the SF will be the other likely choice.

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: