Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Victory FL 7x42 NIB

Old Thursday 18th July 2019, 23:03   #26
etudiant
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrellii View Post
(In case this is of any help).
I have a 7x42 FL T* and find myself in the opposite situation. These binoculars provide the most pleasing view I've experienced (I had the 8x32 FL but it is quite simply another device altogether). The 7x42 FL is not only bright and crisp, but there's something about the view, I guess it is a mix between the attributes of 7x plus the use of AK prisms (I opened a thread about the 3D-esque view of the 7x42 FL, and I'm still amazed about this). Many times I simply look through them for the sheer pleasure of seeing, even if there's no bird on sight, just to indulge in the delights of the texture of a branch or a leave (the foliage of a tree is just a completely different story to any other binocular I've tried, maybe the 8x30W Habicht were in the same league; mind you, I have not tried neither the SF nor the HT).

If I was into full-sized binoculars, I would keep the 7x42 FL for life. However, my favourite format is 8x30-32, because most of my "quality time" birding is done while trekking, so there are situations where I'd love to have my best glass, but I carry a lighter one instead (E2 and Nikon M7 8x30 are the usual suspects). So I'm facing a similar dilemma: should I sell the 7x42 FL to fund a better 8x30-32 like the Swarovski EL? But then, if I do, I'm afraid I'll regret not being able to enjoy the lovely view of the FL (which is quite a gamble, given how scarce they are). My main issue is that, light as it is for a 7x42, I know I won't use the FL in as many situations as a lighter 8x30-32. Ahhhh, choices, choices, choices!
Yours is a common dilemma.
The view provided by a quality 7x42 is so much more comfortable than the best 8x32 alternative that we recoil at the practical considerations of weight and bulk.
It remains true that the only binocular to ever give me a 'wow' viewing experience was the Zeiss 7x42 Classic. I sold mine in favor of something higher powered, but have regretted it ever since.

BF Supporter 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 19th July 2019, 20:56   #27
Swissboy
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarrellii View Post
I have a 7x42 FL T* and find myself in the opposite situation. These binoculars provide the most pleasing view I've experienced (I had the 8x32 FL but it is quite simply another device altogether). The 7x42 FL is not only bright and crisp, but there's something about the view, I guess it is a mix between the attributes of 7x plus the use of AK prisms (I opened a thread about the 3D-esque view of the 7x42 FL, and I'm still amazed about this). Many times I simply look through them for the sheer pleasure of seeing, even if there's no bird on sight, just to indulge in the delights of the texture of a branch or a leaf......... mind you, I have not tried neither the SF nor the HT).
I fully subscribe to what you say, though I have a 8x42 FL, not the 7x. But the special impression you describe is there with the 8x model as well. In my case, I just bought an 8x32 FL thus replacing a 23 year old Leica 8x32 BA. Same reason, needing a lighter model for longer hikes etc. But no way I would give up the x42 FL. Since Zeiss refurbished them recently, they are like brand new again. (But they were only around 10 years old, and it nevertheless cost me 370 Swiss Francs.) So here too, it means at times taking along the second best model I own, but at home, it's definitely the x42 FL I use. And like you, I may just delight in studying the structure of some bark or leaf.
!

BF Supporter 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 00:12   #28
GoldenBear

Well I took the plunge and bought FL 7X42's. I appreciate everyone's input this week.

I compared them to the Ultravid HD+, and while the Leica has less astigmatism, the FOV seemed noticeably less. Leica was almost too small and compact for my taste (sister's Noctivd was the same way), but then the HT has the best ergo's for me of any bin - period.

Going to be interesting to see how the FL's compare after some time has passed. First impression side by side with the HT suggests the FL may be even sharper, albeit with a smaller sweet spot. Anxious to compare them in low light.
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 04:51   #29
chill6x6
BF Supporter 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Well I took the plunge and bought FL 7X42's. I appreciate everyone's input this week.

I compared them to the Ultravid HD+, and while the Leica has less astigmatism, the FOV seemed noticeably less. Leica was almost too small and compact for my taste (sister's Noctivd was the same way), but then the HT has the best ergo's for me of any bin - period.

Going to be interesting to see how the FL's compare after some time has passed. First impression side by side with the HT suggests the FL may be even sharper, albeit with a smaller sweet spot. Anxious to compare them in low light.
Good for you and I think that was a smart move! I don't see how your thoughts on it could do anything but improve over time.

BF Supporter 2017 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 07:43   #30
DocSarvis

GB, I think you made a wise decision to purchase the 7x42 FLs, especially at that price. I have never regretted owning mine although they are my least used pair of full sized binoculars. I dont consider my 15x pair full-size; they are a special use item I mainly mount on a monopod.
Old Saturday 20th July 2019, 11:59   #31
GoldenBear

Still kind of amazed a NIB specimen was still out there after all this time... the FL's were discontinued around 2012 I'm not mistaken.

Considering they were sitting in serious specialty shop that caters to birders, I would have thought someone would have grabbed them before now.

Have spent most of the morning peering out the window rabbits, squirrels, and birds frolicking in the back yard... good fun.
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 11:39   #32
Sebzwo

Congratulations on buying it. That was the right decision for sure. It's some classy Zeiss binocular with AK-prisms. I wished they would continue building it new.
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 11:53   #33
rollingthunder

My Zeiss West Dialyt 7x42Bs are as much of a pleasure to use today as when i bought them over 35 years ago

Laurie -
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 15:26   #34
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
Still kind of amazed a NIB specimen was still out there after all this time... the FL's were discontinued around 2012 I'm not mistaken.

Considering they were sitting in serious specialty shop that caters to birders, I would have thought someone would have grabbed them before now.

Have spent most of the morning peering out the window rabbits, squirrels, and birds frolicking in the back yard... good fun.

The more you use it the more you will like it!

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 15:45   #35
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Thinking about it - specifically with mid size aperture size (~ 42 mm), my FL 8X42 and 10X42, along with the more recent HT 8 and 10X42 were/are the last premium glass made with AK prisms. I believe Maven has them in the 9X45/11X45. Vortex is now including them in some of their new glass. It appears the AK is still around and being used, albeit more common with glass with >45mm objective diameter. The FL was probably the only 7X42 with AK prisms.

Andy W.

Last edited by dries1 : Sunday 21st July 2019 at 15:53.

BF Supporter 2018 2019 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 15:59   #36
GoldenBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollingthunder View Post
My Zeiss West Dialyt 7x42Bs are as much of a pleasure to use today as when i bought them over 35 years ago

Laurie -
The same shop has a two pair of used 7x42 Dialyts... one marked T* and the other T*P*. I looked at the phase-coated model to see what the fuss is about. A few minutes was enough to understand why someone who has one of these wouldn't feel much need to upgrade.
Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 16:40   #37
ceasar

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Thinking about it - specifically with mid size aperture size (~ 42 mm), my FL 8X42 and 10X42, along with the more recent HT 8 and 10X42 were/are the last premium glass made with AK prisms. I believe Maven has them in the 9X45/11X45. Vortex is now including them in some of their new glass. It appears the AK is still around and being used, albeit more common with glass with >45mm objective diameter. The FL was probably the only 7X42 with AK prisms.

Andy W.
You can get a 7x45 B2 with AK prisms from Maven but the FOV is much smaller.

https://mavenbuilt.com/b-series-binoculars/

Bob

Last edited by ceasar : Sunday 21st July 2019 at 16:42.

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 18:31   #38
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Thanks Bob, at least there is an additional offering for a good 7X45 glass (rare these days) for someone looking for a 7X glass.

Andy W.

Old Sunday 21st July 2019, 23:21   #39
GoldenBear

After taking the FL 7x42's out today, some early impression are a surprise to me...

Compared to the 8x42 HT's, I still think the FL's are tick sharper on axis. The colors also pop a little more and seem a touch warmer, but still very neutral. Reds, oranges, etc. do not seem subdued. They appear much more natural than the early gray Victory SF I used to have - those muddied bright colors to the point that the more I used it the less I liked it. Iridescent colors (Starling / Grackles) were almost invisible with SF. HT's are much better in this regard, and the FL's are at least as good to me eye. Overall, the HT's have an ever so slight more washed out image, which I assume is due to slightly less contrast than the FL's.

I can see very little if any difference in low light between the FL, HT, or SLC's.

Against the SLC WB 8x42's, the FL seems as sharp on axis, although the sweet spot is smaller. My SLC's have the highest degree of acutance of any bin I've ever looked through - sometimes they seem over-sharp like a digital photo with too much post processing. On very bright days they can almost overwhelm the eye. My wife has said they're "too much" or "too bright". The FL's seem equal to the SLC, yet I do not get the sense of them being over-sharp or "too much".

No doubt more time in the field will better define the characteristics of each bin, but so far I'm liking the FL's great deal.
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 19:55   #40
Alexis Powell

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
...The FL was probably the only 7X42 with AK prisms...
Well, of course there was the Zeiss 7x42 ClassiC and its predecessors.

Also, I think Optolyth had a 7x42 with AK prisms that looked a lot like the Zeiss.

--AP
Old Monday 22nd July 2019, 20:28   #41
dries1
BF Supporter 2019

Thanks Alexis, I should have said glass made after 2005. On a similar topic there is a 7X42 FL for sale on the that cloudy astro site.

Andy W.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: