• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Singh need's Flycatcher I.D...please and Thousand Thanks..lol.. (1 Viewer)

Dr Manjeet Singh

Dr.Manjeet Singh
To-day had gone to my patch,Pandamaran-jaya,Port Klang,Selangor. Malaysia..at about 1.15pm saw this bird..at first i thought it was a Ferruginous Flycatcher..but viewing thro the scope..noticed the throat and upper breast rufous not whitish and there appeared to be a suggestion of a white supercilium..seen in the picture..sorry for the bad picture..and have only this one picture..will try to get more in the evening if possible..Thank you all.:t:

Attachments

• tnflycatcher_filtered.jpg
    tnflycatcher_filtered.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 137
To-day had gone to my patch,Pandamaran-jaya,Port Klang,Selangor. Malaysia..at about 1.15pm saw this bird..at first i thought it was a Ferruginous Flycatcher..but viewing thro the scope..noticed the throat and upper breast rufous not whitish and there appeared to be a suggestion of a white supercilium..seen in the picture..sorry for the bad picture..and have only this one picture..will try to get more in the evening if possible..Thank you all.:t:

Hi Manjeet

I really am not sure what this is. It isn't Ferruginous for sure. The most likely possibilities are either a blue (Cyornis sp) or a subadult male Mugimaki.

However, the supercilium in front of the eye, if it isn't an artefact of the light or some 'foreign body' picked up by the bird, is quite odd.

I've taken the liberty of lightening your pic up a bit more.

Hope you can see and get more pics of it!

Cheers

Dave

Attachments

• tnflycatcher_filtered2.jpg
    tnflycatcher_filtered2.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 133
Hi Manjeet

I really am not sure what this is. It isn't Ferruginous for sure. The most likely possibilities are either a blue (Cyornis sp) or a subadult male Mugimaki.

However, the supercilium in front of the eye, if it isn't an artefact of the light or some 'foreign body' picked up by the bird, is quite odd.

Hope you can see and get more pics of it!

Cheers

Dave

Dave the supercilium in front of the eye isnt a artefact..clealy seen thro the scope..there was a lighter coloured similer bird with this but no rufous but plan light brown....which i assume is a female..didnt get it's picture...the breast was totaly rufous of this bird in the picture...hoping to go back now enen tho thunder is rumbling over head..if not to-morrow at my lunch ..will be back there to get some pictures.regards...as for lighting up the picture ..Alway be my guest..:-O.lol..any time ..my friend.Regards.:t:

Hi Manjeet and Dave,

It is worthy of further deliberation, I was hoping Manjeet could grab a few more images!
It's certainly an interesting bird and I agree with Dave that it has a strong element of First winter into first summer male Mugimaki Flycatcher which actually is surprisingly variable at this time of year (I see many odd birds through the coast of China in may) although I've never seen one with such an obvious pale patch in front of the eye - is this feather wear/moult? There is a general reddish tinge to the photo, are those legs really red/pink or is this a digital illusion? (Though I have seen Mugimaki with a hint of this over dark legs), the white outer on the undertail seems a little extensive?
Also, like Dave, I see an element of Cyornis here. especially the shape of that lower mandible, could be the angle...not sure

Manjeet, you'll just have to find it again!

Regards

Mark Andrews
www.smandrews.com

Mark and Dave..i have been trugging thro my patch among my poodles..lol...saw it again yesterday but with company of a pair of Yellow-rumped Flyactcher..(..the idiot Male yellow was just chacing it away..lol.)...and one Asian Brown..the the last bird(pale brown breast with a darker head..?brownish) tend's to stick close to the rufous one..but the weather was bad..in fact pouring.To-day it's still pouring ..hope to see it again if Sun shines to-morrow..will do my best people..i am just wondering what it could be..definately a flycatcher.regards.:t:

Nothing to do with the thread, but am interested in knowing how you lightened up the picture, Dave. I've always ending up in trouble with under-exposure due to backlighting and haven't found a sensible correction routine yet.

Many thanks

John

It has been raining this past few days but to-day was good and so i went to my patch and saw this..it is deffinatly not the same bird or am i wrong..this i believe is a Ferrugnious Flycatcher..Mark and Dave what do you;ll think or am i wrong..Regards.:t:pictures taken at 1.35pm to-day at my patch.B :)

Attachments

• flycatcher F..jpg
    flycatcher F..jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 86
  • flycatcher F-1.jpg
    flycatcher F-1.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 64
  • flycather F-2.jpg
    flycather F-2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 60
It has been raining this past few days but to-day was good and so i went to my patch and saw this..it is deffinatly not the same bird or am i wrong..this i believe is a Ferrugnious Flycatcher..Mark and Dave what do you;ll think or am i wrong..Regards.:t:pictures taken at 1.35pm to-day at my patch.B :)

Brilliant Manjeet!

There was one in Penang too, so maybe a bit of a passage of these birds?

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back