• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to see Leach's Petrel (1 Viewer)

Bird guides reporting six Leach's Petrels past New Brighton by 10:35, also Sooty Shearwater, 10 Manx Shearwaters and 2 Great Skuas. Also Sabine's Gull past Wallasey at 10:55. It's starting to look good :t:

Are they within shooting (camera) distance?

Getting pretty excited here!!

Dunno yet. Hopefully I'll have a better idea by the end of tomorrow ;)

Usually it's a scope job, but they can be very close. A few years back, I had one fly so close it's wing touched my leg! Usually a bit further out than that though. Many people get good photos of Leach's Petrel, but I don't know how many days and hours they put in to achieve these pictures.

Getting pretty excited here as well!!

Still quite quiet at my end - the big stuff is moving about a mile out (Fulmars, Gannets, Kitts and Manxies) Had one bad view of a large Shearwater that was probably a Sooty, but it only came up twice.

Lunchtime shipping forecast - next 24 hrs Sole Lundy Fastnet Irish Sea Shannon Rockall Malin west or northwest 5 to 7, occasionally gale 8 at first in Irish Sea. Moderate or rough in Irish Sea, otherwise rough or very rough. Squally showers. Good.

Not many birds out there - but the quality is high.

Marcus,
I think the only bird that was photographable today was a Sab's Gull which I didn't get. Most of the other birds were about half a mile out at least. I have done 8hrs today and have nothing exciting to show for it, the shots I took last year of the Leach's took four and a half days to get and I was almost waist deep in the surf when I took them, so it is not easy, a lot of luck is needed.

Cheers, Steve

As Jane said,not many birds in the Mersey today but very high quality.The main highlights being a Balearic Shearwater seen on several occasions down to 80m.Only 3 previous Lancashire records.A Sooty Shearwater was seen at 50m range from the seawall at Crosby.Only 34 previous records for Lancashire.
Low numbers of Leach`s Petrels seen with 7 maximum.All of these were 150m range.
An adult Sabine`s Gull showed several times during the day.
A juv Long-tailed and a Pomarine Skua and 6+ Bonxies also noted.
If it remains North-westerly 6-7 and we get rain squalls,then tomorrow could be good.

the shots I took last year of the Leach's took four and a half days to get and I was almost waist deep in the surf when I took them, so it is not easy, a lot of luck is needed.

Cheers, Steve

Not only that but a great deal of knowledge about how the birds exit the Mersey, the route they take and timing are key. My cover shot for BB last year was taken 3/4 of a mile out from the sea wall. As Steve says there is a lot of work to be done to get decent images

Cheshire & Wirral lifer in form of Sooty and stunning views of adult Sabs in Mersey mouth. Bonxie munching on something mid water. Missed Long-tailed Skua bombing past Gunsites though. Doesn't get much better. Not many birds but some quality..................

Attachments

• Sabines11 40909.jpg
    Sabines11 40909.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 215
WILSON'S PETREL reported today at 11.46am from seaforth lwt and may be viewable fron new brighton

sabine's ad past leasowe at 9.36am
sabine's juv hoylake lifeboat station at 11.05am

The Wilson`s Petrel was seen four times over a two hour period.Initially it was showing at close range just off the seawall at Seaforth.It then appeared further out and was last seen at 2pm heading back into the river.Many congrats to the finders,all those days spent staring out to sea have been worth it!!
Very little else seen from Seaforth,with most of the seabirds seen off the Wirral heading back out into the Irish Sea.

We had a better than expected seawatch from Hilbre today, with 12 Leach's Petrels, including one which came past very close, seven Bonxies, probably about 25 Arctic Skuas and a single Sabine's Gull (which I didn't see). I did however see the Sabine's Gull at Meols later in the day.

I had similar Nos... 5 Bonxies and a Bonxie/pom... presumed former. 20+ Arctic and in the end 6-8 Leach's (they were back tracking a lot). An Adult Sabs on the sea most of the tide and a juv - though I think not the one that was on the beach - since it was off HE4 at about the same time. That bird back tracked too.

Still sulking that you lot on Hilbre couldn't see my Pterodroma - with a little detail we could have nailed it

We started at New Brighton and after two hours of just an Arctic Skua we headed to Leasow, another blank we decided to go and look for some waders at Hoylake.

On arriving we looked over the sea wall and immediately jammed onto a juv Sabine's Gull at about 10 yards. A couple of others at the life boat station were on the bird and we put the news out.

It took over an hour for someone to turn up at which point we put them onto the bird and left. It showed well at times, and hopefully a consolation for anyone who missed other stuff. We didn't try for the Wilson's as the news was no one had connected from the Wirral side.

See there was plenty of East Yorks too, but not sure if it showed this well or would have made it onto our self found lists :t:

One of the first off the camera :king:

Attachments

• sab pro 800.jpg
    sab pro 800.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 201

Still sulking that you lot on Hilbre couldn't see my Pterodroma - with a little detail we could have nailed it

Believe me we tried..... I've almost lost the ability to focus in my right eye after so long straining through the scope on 60x! ;) Unfortunately it wasn't to be.

To be fair i don't think your sighting is much different to any number of other reports of Feas-types or "presumed Feas". There's little hope of nailing it to taxon from land (tho not impossible perhaps). I vaguely remember reading Brett Richards honest account of an early Flamborough sighting about 15+ years ago in Yorkshire Birding, he estimated the bird to be about a mile out. I've had distant but "tickable" views as have many others. What to tick them as is an entirely different matter... (and i'd need some sort of list..)
Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back