• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Jakarta airport (4 Viewers)

Steve Keen

Have a couple of stopovers at Jakarta, in June and July, and I was wondering what are the practicalities of birding (safety, timing, etc) the decent looking (on Google Earth) area of greenery with some water just to the east of the airport.

Both times I arrive around 1300hrs, first time from the UK (so I'd have to negotiate immigration I presume), second time on an internal flight. First time I fly onwards at about midnight, so would need to store my luggage in the meantime, second time my flight is the following morning, so I'll book a hotel nearby and use their shuttle service (and I'll have plenty of time for departure formalities),and will hopefully get a little longer.

I realise I'm not going to be looking at bumping into loads of goodies, it's more a case of making the most of necessary stopovers, but there are maybe half a dozen tarty lifers available so I figure it would be rude not to.

Cheers
Steve

Have a couple of stopovers at Jakarta, in June and July, and I was wondering what are the practicalities of birding (safety, timing, etc) the decent looking (on Google Earth) area of greenery with some water just to the east of the airport.

Both times I arrive around 1300hrs, first time from the UK (so I'd have to negotiate immigration I presume), second time on an internal flight. First time I fly onwards at about midnight, so would need to store my luggage in the meantime, second time my flight is the following morning, so I'll book a hotel nearby and use their shuttle service (and I'll have plenty of time for departure formalities),and will hopefully get a little longer.

I realise I'm not going to be looking at bumping into loads of goodies, it's more a case of making the most of necessary stopovers, but there are maybe half a dozen tarty lifers available so I figure it would be rude not to.

Cheers
Steve

Try and get to Muara Angke, if you can get there early, you have a good chance of Sunda Coucal, nothing tarty about that. Check out the tops of the bushes, they like to sunbathe in the early morning.

http://burung-nusantara.org/birding-sites/java-and-bali/muara-angke/

A

Last edited:
Cheers Andy

Like I say, I have two afternoons only, on both of which I arrive at 1-ish, and no mornings. I wouldn't anticipate getting into the field, such as it is, much before 3pm, probably later than that on the first occasion. Have looked at Muara Angke as an option, but figured it probably wouldn't be worth it by the time I took the minimum half hour taxi ride there, and especially at that time of day, especially as whatever I did it would be nice to think i might get back to do Java properly one day. Happy to be told that's not the case though, there are a few more possibilities there for me and it's no doubt a much nicer place to bird!!

Steve

Hi Steve

Try to visit the national statue's park or Taman Monas in Indonesian (Monas = Monumen Nasional). It is located in the heart of Jakarta. You might get chance for some interesting birds there, such as Coppersmith Barbet, Red-breasted Parakeet, Scarlet-headed Flowerpecker, Small Minivet, Common Iora, etc.

Imam

Hi Imam

I doubt I will have time to get into the middle of the city. Of those species you list, the flowerpecker is the one I am missing, and I think I will have a chance of it around the airport.

Many thanks though

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back