• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Bulbuls from Sepilok - Sabah. (1 Viewer)

stuartvine

(Actually make that three)...

Attachments

• 1Q1A0087.jpg
    1Q1A0087.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1Q1A0245.jpg
    1Q1A0245.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 1Q1A0221.jpg
    1Q1A0221.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Chestnut-vented (a split from Ochraceous) is supposed to be a montane species. Did you see this one at Sepilok, Stuart? Any more images of that one?

Chestnut-vented (a split from Ochraceous) is supposed to be a montane species. Did you see this one at Sepilok, Stuart? Any more images of that one?

Yes, on the boardwalk in the Orangutan Sanctuary... Just the one extra pic attached...

Attachments

• 1Q1A0219.jpg
    1Q1A0219.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
An innocent question as I have no field experience with these birds but will be in Sabah later this year - why would that be a Chestnut-vented Bulbul instead of Gray-cheeked or Puff-backed, especially given location?

Yes, Josh, the 3rd bird is a Puff-backed. I overlooked it on the Avibase checklist for Sepilok. I first looked at the images on my phone and my first impression was Ochraceous, which was why I got sidetracked. A view of the underparts would have resolved this one very quickly (clean white on Puff-backed, ochre - hence the name - on Ochreaceous). Ochraceous has a warm brown crest and nape, not dull grey-brown as in Puff-backed. If you look closely at the OP bird, you can see the trousers are whitish, not yellow-brown as they would be on Ochreaceous.

Grey-cheeked does occur here too and is superficially similar to both species but differs in its flatter crest, less puffy throat, greenish mantle and breast and yellow belly - it has much more varied plumage.

Yes, Josh, the 3rd bird is a Puff-backed. I overlooked it on the Avibase checklist for Sepilok. I first looked at the images on my phone and my first impression was Ochraceous, which was why I got sidetracked. A view of the underparts would have resolved this one very quickly (clean white on Puff-backed, ochre - hence the name - on Ochreaceous). Ochraceous has a warm brown crest and nape, not dull grey-brown as in Puff-backed. If you look closely at the OP bird, you can see the trousers are whitish, not yellow-brown as they would be on Ochreaceous.

Grey-cheeked does occur here too and is superficially similar to both species but differs in its flatter crest, less puffy throat, greenish mantle and breast and yellow belly - it has much more varied plumage.

Thanks much for the explanation!

Thanks for sorting that one out! I definitely need to spend more time there looking at Bulbuls (chance would be a fine thing). ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back