• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaned out House Sparrow Birdhouse Hole To put up Smaller Hole Birdhouse (1 Viewer)

Abbygirl

Cleaning Out BirdHouse

Cleaned out House Sparrow Birdhouse Hole To put up Smaller Hole Birdhouse.

The other night we cleaned out 2 bird houses that the House Sparrows used, that our in the backyard. We were told that they are not native to the United States and so we should discourage them. And so that is what we are doing. We were told by our local audobon society and our local bird stores.

The hole was a 1/4 inch (we were told that other birds would come thru the 1/4 inch hole (can't wait!) and so I had bought a 1/8 inch hole to put over the 1/4 hole and were told that the House Sparrow would not be able to get inside the bird house hole Is this true? I guess i'm just worried about the house sparrow's trying to get into the bird house and actually getting thru the smaller 1/8 hole. when i was told they would not. I guess i'm just worried about nothing. Let me know your thoughts. Thank you.

And has anybody else done this. where they've replaced the holes to make it smaller so the House sparrow's could not get inside any more? THanks

Last edited:
We have and have gotten gotten other beautiful birds. we have gotten tree swallow's and violet green swallow's they are so beautiful to watch fly!!!

Abbygirl said:
the 1/4 hole and were told that the House Sparrow would not be able to get inside the bird house hole Is this true? I guess i'm just worried about the house sparrow's trying to get into the bird house and actually getting thru the smaller 1/8 hole.

Over here in the UK where the house sparrow is a well loved, and declining native species, the hole size for a sparrow box is recommended at 32mm (=1 and a quarter inches) and for blue tits etc is 28mm (= 1 and one eighth) for a Great Tit and 25mm (=1 inch) for a blue tit)

so assuming you have made you box hole one and an eighth inch wide, you should be okay.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back