• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My crazy woodpeckers and the cedar birdhouse they frequent... (1 Viewer)

Variable Potpourri
This started happening after the inexpensive birdhouse I hung long ago (rather low) on a pine tree in the back aged a few years...woodpeckers started visiting the box and pecking away...at first, I thought they were searching for grub, but after a close inspection, I realized that they were trying to enlarge the entrance to the house. This has now been going on for years, and not one has yet succeeded in getting in there, though yet another continues to work on it as I type.
woodpecker_small.jpg

So, my question is, since this is planned to be my last year here in this house, should I assist them in their endeavor and widen the hole, or just leave it alone while hoping the next to move in won't be offended by these birds?

Last edited:
Well, if they are enlarging the hole then just leave them to it but if you want you can do it saves them doing it

i know sombody that had that same thing it was a bluebird box then something came and made the hole bigger!!!! the bird made the nest to it was a downy woodpecker .. i hope it has eggs
, keith

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back