• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Offshore 15 (1 Viewer)

Thanks David,

Not sure if I've asked this before, but have you got yourself a "resident" Jackdaw there?

Birdman,
Yes , its been out there since at least November, last year we had a few Starlings, and the winter before that it was a Rook.
They usually leave in the spring when other migrants start to pass.
Regds Dave

david r said:
Birdman,
Yes , its been out there since at least November, last year we had a few Starlings, and the winter before that it was a Rook.
They usually leave in the spring when other migrants start to pass.
Regds Dave

I guess we're talking about an oil platform here ...what does this Jackdaw survive on? Handouts from workers?

Jos,
Its an F.P.S.O. here is a pix of it, and yes, some of the lads must be feeding it.
Dave

Attachments

• UisgeGorm-RoughWeather.jpg
    UisgeGorm-RoughWeather.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 178
david r said:
Jos,
Its an F.P.S.O. here is a pix of it, and yes, some of the lads must be feeding it.
Dave

Er, pretty dumb here, but what is F.P.S.O. ? That picture looks like some kind of moving gas drill or something? Is it in a stationary position or moving about the sea? Presumably it's not coming to shore or the Jackdaw would jump ship

Jos
F= Floating p = Production S = Storage & O = Offloading ,the unit is a converted tanker and is permanently moored in this location
Dave

Reading the North Sea Bird Club reports you've had some good stuff on the Ugly Gorm. Do you find spring or autumn best?

TWM / Tim
There are always a lot more birds in autumn though I think May is best for the rarer birds.
The Jackdaw is away now, but yes he stayed all winter, at the moment we have a Carrion crow, 1 Wren, 1 Blackcap, 20 Starlings, 4 Chaffinches, 1 Blackbird and a Song thrush aboard, I will see if any new birds have arrived during the night shortly when I get out on deck. Dave

Bluewater Name???

David,

I've been some 30 years removed from the Gulf of Mexico drilling and production rigs as a communications tech. I wonder if thats the same company that runs your boat that used to run some drill rigs over here called Bluewater. Can not remember their exact names because I only visited them a very few times and I called on a great many rigs, simis, jackups, well you get the idea there. Most were only 15 to 45 minute stops and fly to next.

Jeeper, Uisge Gorm is Gaelic for Blue Water. They also have the Bleo Holm in the North Sea which is Welsh I believe for Blue Water.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back