• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID books for Kazakhstan (1 Viewer)

Dale Forbes

Swarovski Optik, Austria
Austria
Hi All,

I will be joining a group going to Kazakhstan for some birding in May.

Help: what ID books should I take?

I know little about the region and at the moment only have western european bird ID books, but I am going to need something that covers that region a little more extensively.
so, I am looking for some concrete recommendations of good books for the middle east, russia, china or whatever regions I should consider in order to have something of an idea of what i am looking at.

I am feeling rather daunted (but exhilarated).

Thanks in advance,

On Askars site it does reecommend some books
http://www.birds.kz/shop/indexe.html

Found this site and put Kazakhstan in search and this is what it came back with [they do worldwide delivery as well]
http://www.nhbs.com/catalogue/quicksearch

There is also Subbuteo which BF has a link to at top of page [worldwide delivery]
http://www.wildlifebooks.com/search.php?srch=Kazakhstan&SBSESSID=6fad5134dc6c9b57dd2057d3a86d2f96

Hi Marmot,
I did look at Askar's site and have looked in to the Birds of Kazakhstan book but the word on the street (or, should that be, in the woods) is that the Kazakhstani book is more about info about the birds there, and not necessarily very helpful for ID.

I was seriously thinking about getting the two Collins Field Guides to the birds of the Palearctic (by Norman Arlott) as these would also be useful for other trips in to Asia and would complement my European books.

Am I being silly?

books for Kazakhstan

Hello Dale,

The book 'the Birds of Kazakhstan' covers mainly the distribution of the species and is not really an id book but really helpfull to have laying next to you as it describes all habitats of the species.

A combination of a European book as the Collins together with the in last January published book 'The birds of East Asia' by Mark Brazil should get you there concerning id.

The Kazakh publications are not really handy is they are typical 'Soviet Style' so would not go for this as well.

Warm regards from Kazakhstan!

Machiel Valkenburg
www.centralasiabirding.com

Hello Dale,

The book 'the Birds of Kazakhstan' covers mainly the distribution of the species and is not really an id book but really helpfull to have laying next to you as it describes all habitats of the species.

A combination of a European book as the Collins together with the in last January published book 'The birds of East Asia' by Mark Brazil should get you there concerning id.

The Kazakh publications are not really handy is they are typical 'Soviet Style' so would not go for this as well.

Warm regards from Kazakhstan!

Machiel Valkenburg
www.centralasiabirding.com

Hi Machiel, thanks for the info.
I have had a look in to Brazil's Birds of East Asia and it looks interesting (and not that pricey either). But, would I be missing anything because - as far as I can tell - it only covers eastern China, eastern Russia, and the islands of the far east.
Would you recommend this book over the two Collins birds of the Palearctic books? (provided I take my Collins of Europe with)

Thanks again

Hi Machiel, thanks for the info.
I have had a look in to Brazil's Birds of East Asia and it looks interesting (and not that pricey either). But, would I be missing anything because - as far as I can tell - it only covers eastern China, eastern Russia, and the islands of the far east.
Would you recommend this book over the two Collins birds of the Palearctic books? (provided I take my Collins of Europe with)

Thanks again

Dale,

I do not have the books of Arlot myself so I can not give a comment on this but the book by Mark Brazil covers all eastern Palearctic species occuring in southeast Kazakhstan also the many subspecies are discribed. Next to this it might be wise to bring a small pocketguide handling the Himalayan species as I do as well. I use the birds of Nepal for this by Inskipp. Very small and light and handling all Rosefiches etc. occuring.

When you go to Kazakhstan? I will be travelling also quite some time in Kazakhstan during the month of May myself.

Cheers Machiel

Last edited:
FG Birds of Central Asia

By the way there is a thread about the Arlot books here in Birdforum

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=85728

Cheers Machiel

Just to make sure the occasional browser of these threads does not get mislead: Meanwhile there is an excellent FG for the region:

http://britishbirds.co.uk/book-revi...-raffael-aye-manuel-schweizer-and-tobias-roth

It is also available in an identical (but cheaper) Princeton FG Version, only comes with a different cover.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back