• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coquette with white neck stripe? the Andes, Venezuela (1 Viewer)

iainp

I may be going too far this time, but can anyone help with this ID?
Rubbish photo I know, but it was the only one I managed to get, and I'm hoping the very clear white neck band will be diagnostic.

It's very small, and my first thought would be Coquette but I don't see one in my book with the stripe. For a while I thought there was also a cheek band but that's a twig!

Taken in lower Andes (2000+m?) in NW Venezuela

EDIT; I just found this image on the card. It was taken 15 minutes later and I assume it's the same bird. Apologies for the ridiculous quality...

Iain

Attachments

• Mystery.jpg
    Mystery.jpg
    316 KB · Views: 450
  • mystery2.jpg
    mystery2.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
Merida Sunangel would be my guess

location and altitude ties in by the sound of it

white breast band, glittering pink throat (2nd photo), tail shape looks pretty good

That would be great; new for my life list. It's weird because there doesn't seem to be any picture or description of the Merida Sunangel in Hilty's Birds of Venezuela. There's a reference in the index for page 428, but I can't see any mention of it.

Do you know if it goes by a different name or something?

ps. Mary Lou Goodwin's Birding in Venezuela says it can be found relatively easily in Sierra Nevada National Park, which is where I took the photo so it's looking good.

Last edited:
taxonomy uncertain

Sibley and Monroe recognise it as full species (Helioangelus Spencei)

others lump it in with Amethyst-throated

try to find some other photos of MS and then see if you're happy with the ID

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back