• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id please - continental Malaysia (1 Viewer)

abizid

Hi, I saw this bird in very thick forest in Panti forest in May. Unfortunately, unable to take a decent shot through the leafs, but it was deep blue with red nape and darker crown. Jumped up from the ground onto a branch about 1m high and stood still, then went back down to the ground.
Unfortunately, did not call. When trying to approach, it again went down before flying off, quite low, to a not-accessible location. It didn't answer calls when trying the Garnet Pitta's call (which seemed to be as the most likely candidate.
Only available hint is this very blurry picture through leaves:
DSC_1132.jpg

Thanks for your help

Looks like a Garnet Pitta to me alright, blurred as the photo is. No other ground-dwelling bird at Panti has a dark blue body with a bright red crown. Good catch!

Thank you Hor Kee,

I heard from my Singapore friend who came with me, that Garnet was now very rare at Panti, and no sightings were made in recent years. That's why we were not sure. Have you heard of other sightings in the last few years.

Abdel

Hi, I saw this bird in very thick forest in Panti forest in May. Unfortunately, unable to take a decent shot through the leafs, but it was deep blue with red nape and darker crown. Jumped up from the ground onto a branch about 1m high and stood still, then went back down to the ground.
Unfortunately, did not call. When trying to approach, it again went down before flying off, quite low, to a not-accessible location. It didn't answer calls when trying the Garnet Pitta's call (which seemed to be as the most likely candidate.
Only available hint is this very blurry picture through leaves:
DSC_1132.jpg

Thanks for your help

This looks more like a Banded Pitta to me. I think I see a hint of a pale throat, as well as a dark crown (which you mention and which doesn't really fit Garnet) and orange rather than red on the nape. Banded Pitta does occur at Panti and is reasonably regularly seen. It might explain why the bird didn't respond to Garnet call playback.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back