• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (2 Viewers)

Great day spent with Kevin the highlight being several Golden Oriole including 2 male at Son Real. Cheers mate.
Steve.

Great day spent with Kevin the highlight being several Golden Oriole including 2 male at Son Real. Cheers mate.
Steve.

Yes, great day Steve. Thanks for your company.
As well as the Orioles we also saw at least seven Woodchat shrikes, 2 Tawny pipits, Booted eagle and Marsh harrier as well as the usual birds.
We later called in to Depuradura where it was nice to bump into Clive but pretty quiet bird wise. Steve saw a Pied flycatcher and we saw a flight of 7 flamingoes flying into the reserve.

As soon as I put the phone down, it rings again.
Reports of huge groups of Barn Swallows and Swifts.
Philip phoned to say he had just seen a White-rumped Swift in Santa Ponça.
Phil thoroughly deserves this record. I have been birding with him from dawn until dusk and returned to his apartment exhausted but he still goes out onto the balcony in the dark to look for owls and Stone curlews. He is probably the most dedicated birder I know so there is no mistaking this record. There are I believe reports of Common Swift with partial leucism but Phil knows this is not the case with this bird so many congratulations to him.
He also saw a pair of Montagu’s Harrier (a male and female) in the fields around Santa Ponça and a Little Bittern at Golf II.
More reports to follow soon!
Mike

Mike, can you give me any more info. Quite a Mega....:eek!:

Lost / had phone stolen on Monday so not been able to access the forum as easily as usual. Few birds from S’Albufera yesterday were Whiskered, gull billed and common tern, golden eagle ( escapee) , ospreys, glossy ibis ,red kite, collared pratincole, Garganey , flock of approx 15 night herons, whinchat, spotted flycatcher, redstart , wood warbler, plenty of very loud greAt reed warblers and again a good selection of the usuals present.

Quite surprised that not seen any of the avocet chicks being taken by the marsh harriers. As although a feisty bird and seen chase raptors off they let their chicks wander a fair distance away from any adults.

At Albufera yesterday, additional to species reported by ggshrike, there were a couple of Curlew Sandpipers, 4 or 5 Little Stint and at least 9 Ringed Plovers at Cibollar I and a few Purple Herons at Sa Roca, nice to see 4 Gargany there and the Collared Pratincole.

Clive, I think there are only 3 or 4 accepted records of Motacilla flava feldegg in the Balearics, but I have not exact numbers now with me. Anyway, quite a rare bird!

Today I could hear at least 2 Red throated Pipits passing in fly in 2 different places in Albufereta, so there must be some other birds migrating elsewhere. Others nice migrants too there, as Redstarts, Wheatear, Tree Pipit, Whinchats, Garden Warbler, Whitethroats, Sedge Warblers, Wood Warbler, S-T Larks, etc.

Maties

Thanks Maties, I didn't realise the feldegg was such a rarity!

A very nice morning spent at Cap de Ses Salines. We were entertained by both Balearic and Scopoli’s shearwaters until the Whiskered terns appeared, first a group of 4, then 72 and finally 17. All flew strongly to the east. Two Lesser black backed gulls were on rocks nearby and Swallows were all around, some rather oddly going south out to sea.
A large lark flew over but it will always be a mystery. Certainly none of the normal species.
Later at Salobrar another 19 Whiskered tern, a Sanderling in summer plumage, Redstart, Whinchat and Short-toed Larks.
Philip stayed and will report later from Eddie’s track but it was still a great time and nice to meet Peter and see Martin and Mara again.
Mike

Lesser Kestrel along Torrent de Sant Jordi this afternoon, plus flyover Beeeater and 2 Osprey. Also a Golden Oriole in Boquer valley.

Attachments

• 20190424_152728-599x799.jpg
    20190424_152728-599x799.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 81
Depuradura this morning. 4 Garganey, 3 Whiskered terns and a Golden oriole flying over the Son Bosc track.
At S’albufera Collared pratincole, 3 Curlew sandpipers in summer plumage were the stand out birds.
Later at Can Curassa I heard Bonellis warbler call but couldn’t locate it . Also there lots of Winchats, Corn buntings, Yellow wagtails, Osprey and a Lesser kestrel on a distant pylon kindly pointed out by Pep.

Great to be Back

Great to be back.
Even on this blustery day.
Bumped into Kevin and Pep on Can Cullerassa road; a very nice welcome back.
Short visit to S’Albuferata and Llenaire as well.
Birds seen/heard included Nightingales, Pied Flycatcher, Lesser Kestrel, Whinchats (so many), Spotless Starlings, Yellow wagtail, Common Sandpiper, Little and Ringed Plovers, Greenshank and Redshank.
Two Thekla larks also seen at Llenaire (I have never seen them so far north)
Mike

Sorry forgot the Turtle dove at S’ albafereta

Last edited:
The Sanderling at Salobrar today had a yellow ring on the left leg and a metal one too I believe.
Mike

Attachments

• BE3A423B-20AC-414F-9C01-17B8A7ED5566.jpeg
    BE3A423B-20AC-414F-9C01-17B8A7ED5566.jpeg
    449 KB · Views: 41
Can Curassa track this morning 1 Turtle dove 1 Black vulture and 1 Egyptian vulture. The Pines Avenue 2 Turtle dove feeding

Attachments

• DSCN8550.JPG
    DSCN8550.JPG
    674.6 KB · Views: 78
Also saw the Egyptian Vulture at Can Cuarassa and 11 Glossy Ibis over towards Salbafereta.
At Salbafereta Wood Warbler 2 Pied Flys Water Rail.
Salbufera, 2 Whiskered Terns 3 Curlew Sands, Glossy Ibis.
Steve.

In the bay opposite the entrance to S'albufera approx 50 Scopolis / Cory's shearwaters at 15.45 are these more likely to be Scopolis ?

Attachments

• DSCN8711.JPG
    DSCN8711.JPG
    826.1 KB · Views: 71
  • DSCN8707.JPG
    DSCN8707.JPG
    778.7 KB · Views: 52
Some late news from yesterday.
When I left Salobrar, Phil went down Eddies track. He met a British birder who was on his way back. He showed Phil photographs of two Caspian terns which had only just departed. Nice birds, they do sometimes grace the salt pans but can also be seen out to sea flying past the lighthouse. I have seen them a few times doing just that. Always two though!
Also seen 31 Whiskered terns (making our day total 141) , 1 Black tern, 44 Greater Flamingoes, 63 Little stints, 10 Pallid Swift, 17 Ringed Plovers, 1 Ruff, 1 Curlew and a Meadow pipit.
Mike

Sadly writing this in the comfort of my living room back home in Leicestershire :( Thanks Mike for your help and to anyone else we might have bumped into at Albufera. My lad tells me we saw around 60 species during our stay and some lifers for us both. We all agreed the Pratincole was our star bird. Hope to be back in a year or two. Thanks and all the best, Tom

Some late news from yesterday.
When I left Salobrar, Phil went down Eddies track. He met a British birder who was on his way back. He showed Phil photographs of two Caspian terns which had only just departed. Nice birds, they do sometimes grace the salt pans but can also be seen out to sea flying past the lighthouse. I have seen them a few times doing just that. Always two though!
Also seen 31 Whiskered terns (making our day total 141) , 1 Black tern, 44 Greater Flamingoes, 63 Little stints, 10 Pallid Swift, 17 Ringed Plovers, 1 Ruff, 1 Curlew and a Meadow pipit.
Mike

This afternoon at Can Guidet pool, around 100 black terns, seen by Adolfo

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back