• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Doubler? (1 Viewer)

If you read or can guess Dutch, Jan Meijerink (www.tvwg.nl) has a very good test report on the doubler. I have tried it, but do not own one. In brief: It works, but it is not super-fast to use, it more or less necessitates the use of a monopod or a tripod, and when you have it set up, the field of view is very narrow and the image can be anything from really quite good to rather poor depending on how your binocular happens to measure up. If you wish to experiment with a booster, the Opticron 2.5x booster is much cheaper alternative, and is really quite decent optically. I use a Zeiss Classic 3x12, which is about half the size of the Swarovski and works very nicely for test purposes, but I have very rarely used it with binoculars in in the field. What I do use it for is added power in my telescope. For viewing planets it nicely and quickly triples the range of my zoom.

Kimmo

I have a Zeiss tripler as well. I've found it works well as a 3x monocular, and as a 5x jeweler's glass it's fantastic. Tripling the effective magnification of my 10x40B Classics? Well, it works. How well is subjective, but not well enough for me to have tried once and pretty much forsaken the idea. If you absolutely need a breif glimpse that far away, it might suffice, but even a economy priced spotting scope will suit you better.

I spoke to Mike McDowell this last week about such a device, his comment was along the lines of "I always take a scope" and I took that to mean that these were poor replacements for long time long distance viewing. Maybe a quick peep, but not more.

Last edited:
When the Swarovski 8.5x42 EL was first released, the company had a rebate on the Swarovski doubler such that it only cost $100. I went ahead and got one at the time, but I wouldn't purchase one now given its high cost and marginal utility. Does mine work? Yes--though the field of view is narrow, it is of high quality, and significantly increases my ability to discern fine details. Over the years, it has allowed me to identify a few birds of very high interest that I otherwise would have had to forfeit. Is it convenient? No, from the standpoint that it takes a while to unscrew the eyecup and thread on the booster, and yes from the standpoint that it can be carried along at times when I have decided against bringing along a scope. It is a tool to be used in the same vein as the best pocket binos--only at times when you wouldn't choose to have more appropriate equipment along. With the doubler attached, the bino is effectively converted into 8.5x and 17x monoculars--it is easy to switch your eye from one view to the other (my dominant/master eye is my left eye, so I screw the doubler onto the left side, which allows me to use my left eye to either view through the doubler or through the unaltered right side of the bino). I find that if I brace against a tree or rest my elbows on my knees while sitting, that the view is quite steady and no tripod is necessary. If I take the trouble to carry a tripod, as I often do, I use my scope (more powerful and comfortable) not the doubler.
--AP

Last edited:
raymondjohn said:
Kimmo

Are you attaching this doubler to a zeiss zoom and how does it attach?

bestwishes

raymondjohn

For attaching the tripler (the Zeiss is 3x) to a range of Zeiss binoculars, Zeiss sells plastic adaptors. For attaching to the Zeiss eyepiece, you need to make your own adaptor. I have made a range of adaptor rings out of closed-cell foam strips which I have bought from a plastics and rubber specialty store. These are intended as gasket material, and come in a variety of widths, thicknesses and profiles. You can make a ring (cutting a length and gluing the ends together with superglue) which you strech over the objective end of the booster and stick inside the extended eyecup of the eyepiece. The ring needs to be at least about half-an-inch wide, and the thickness needed depends on the diameter differential between the outer diameter of the booster and the inner diameter of the eyecup you wish to attach it to. If the ring is a bit loose, you can apply some masking tape between the booster and the ring, whereby the ring stretches out and sits more snugly. All this takes some tinkering, but is not difficult to do.

Be careful with superglue, though. Let it dry thoroughly before you take the glued ring close to either your eye or multicoated lenses.

Kimmo

I coupled my tripler (without adapter) with my Trinovid 12x50 earlier today. The tripler fits perfectly in the extended eyecup which avoids lateral movement, with the only play being from not holding the tripler onto the ocular as tightly as I would wish with slight droop, and holding it there introduced quite a bit of shake on my free-standing Manfrotto monopod.

I was easily able to focus on many distant objects several hours before sunset. It was interesting to use, but the field of view was very narrow and sharpness was reduced. I really don't see what I might use it for other than skygazing. A real spotting scope would be preferrable, but this does lend to quick magnification. I'd suspect the Swarovski 2x would probably be better suited for binocular use.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back