• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (11 Viewers)

To follow up my earlier Red Kite question, the 2007 Norfolk Bird Report states...

"In second half of year far less records, as in previous years.... and 5 in Sept;..."

and

"Interestingly no records Oct and Dec with only 3 in Nov;..."

So definitely more of a spring passage bird I guess. Another was reported from Aylmerton yesterday, perhaps the same bird...

James

Titchwell October 21st

Today's highlights

Eider - 8 offshore
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh
Snow bunting - 26 on beach
Bittern - 1 from Fen Hide

Paul

BBC crew and stars filming today at Snettisham, may seem a face or two from Norfolk on the old gogglebox soon.

Hiya. The Beeb were filming for Autumnwatch - high tide wader roost at Snettisham, starling roost at Titchwell and pink-footed geese wherever they could find them. Suspect the only faces you'll see will be those of the presenters. Probably for the best... Anyway, tune in on Friday night! Rob

a few bits and bobs today at Wells/Holkham Bay today, a Firecrest pished out of the Dell. I big female Peregrine with tatty wings flying over the lifeboat station. A Med Gull on the beach and 8 Eider and a Shag on the sea. A Woodcock presumably just coming in off just East of the Gap. Two Shorelark showing well (this Autumns arrival proving they havent stopped wintering in Norfolk ; - ) and 35 odd Snobs, again East of the Gap. Some new Blackbirds in but no real sign of an arrival and still very few Goldcrests.

At Cley lots of Starlings, another Med, 2 Ruddy Shelduck but didn''t see the Green-winged Teal this evening. Well done to those who have managed to get Snow Goose for the year, can't believe all this time you've been missing the 2 resident, breeding birds at Cley though ;);)

Today - hmmmmm....... not exactly a productive birding day!

Got up at a decent time, but wasted time messing about getting snowgoose pics off camera, choosing best of a bad lot, sorting, emailing etc, then HAD to go into town - no choice even though I really just wanted to go birding, baby sisters' 40th birthday card and pressie to buy, bills to pay, bla bla bla!

Was originally going to walk Blakeney Point but because time just ran away, plan B was Wells and Stiffkey. Pouring with rain ALL day.

Arrived Wells 2pm - took a risk and didn't pay to park (naughty me;))

Not much at all really - walked all through the Dell area up and round paths pishing and squeaking to no avail! Walked to the pond which the last time I went to was dried out, but today it had lots of water in all ready for a RFB for someone lucky this week! Back onto main path had a long tailed tit flock and lots of goldcrests but no firecrests etc with them. Also had a great spotted woodpecker and a treecreeper. Walking back past the brown plastic seat, I veered off to the brambles and maze of paths to my right and spent a good half an hour here - there were TONS of blackbirds and a few mistle thrushes - in fact I have never seen so many blackbirds per square metre!!!!! Absolutely drenched, even though I had waterproofs on, walked back to car and moved on.

Stiffkey Campsite - west.

Walked up to the Whirlygig and back. Again tons of blackbirds and a massive linnet flock zipping about as it got dusk. Also lots of long tailed tits and chaffinches. Drove home in torrential rain and flooded roads.

No year ticks today!!! Back to work tomorrow - roll on the weekend!:t:

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Snowgoose pictures on my previous post 7494 added today or see BF Photo Gallery, Surfbirds, cleybirds.com, Birdguides or RBA!

Last edited:
Today - hmmmmm....... not exactly a productive birding day!

massive flock of TONS of blackbirds per square metre zipping about in torrential rain
]

hope you don't mind a bit of artistic license there Penny ;)

I certainly saw some this morning + a few Redwings and Mistle Thrushes but not the astonomical numbers you are on about - perhaps there was a major arrival this afternoon, can hear them going over the hotel right now as well. will check the Freshes first thing as they usually hold. Can't believe such decent weather conditions will not produce some good stuff so maybe perseverence could pay off.

This afternoon I have been sent a photo of a White Stork, present just into
Norfolk, east of Wisbech at St. Johns Fen End (c.TF537115). It appears unringed, but I cannot see the feet, as it is standing in a ploughed field.

This afternoon I have been sent a photo of a White Stork, present just into
Norfolk, east of Wisbech at St. Johns Fen End (c.TF537115). It appears unringed, but I cannot see the feet, as it is standing in a ploughed field.

The observer of this bird sent me the following this evening:
"The bird was last seen about an hour ago (c.4pm), between st johns post office and the pumping station"

Highlight at Kelling yesterday was a late Osprey heading west at 9.50. Also a very sickly looking barn owl - or maybe it was just knackered after coming in-off - a couple of stonechats, a great northern and four red-throated divers on the sea, a strong passgae of gannets east (a few hundred in 20 mins), c20 blackwits and 60 pinkfeet over and a mixed finch/bunting flock. No sign of any jack snipe (up to three have been reported).

Gordon

Titchwell October 23rd

Today's highlights

Med gull - 1 on fresh marsh
Great Northern diver - 1 offshore
Slavonian grebe - 1 offshore
Jack snipe - 1 on fresh marsh
Little stint - 1 on fresh marsh
Teal - 626 on fresh marsh
Ruff - 43 on fresh marsh
Snow bunting - 20 on beach
Common buzzard - 1 west over carpark
Hen harrier - ringtail hunting over saltmarsh

Paul

Who needs Eastern Crowned Warbler

For a nanosecond I thought of going, and might have had it been at Titchwell or at a push Winterton, or if I owned a helicopter. As it was I had a rather fine late autumn days birds at Holkham. Lots of Tits first thing steady piling through just East of Jordan Hide and eventually we got on a lone bird in a sycamore which revealed itself to be a female Firecrest. Also 2 Treecreepers, 2 Chiffchaffs and a handful of Goldcrests. The only visible migration was of Jays - at least 30 moving East and South also maybe a Great Spotted Woodpecker. A Peregrine passed over the beach at Burnham Overy and on the sea around 30 Common Scoter, a few Red-throated Diver, Razorbills and Great Crested Grebe.
A male Black Redstart had taken up temporary residence on the fence and showed very well. However the real surprise was from Jordan Hide where there were 2 Red Kites knocking about (Frootshoot first birds Ive seen in Autumn in Norfolk). These were also the first i'd ever seen fannying around rather than passing straight through on migration so they were getting mobbed by Jackdaws and drifting about landing on various perches. Also here 3 Buzzards and 3 juv Marsh Harriers.
The Gap was good too, bumped into two blokes who said they had a Water Pipit, bit dubious but the bird was a classic winter plumage and gave good comparison with Scando Rock and Meadow Pipit. There was a very distant commic Tern on the sea and a single Snow Bunting over. The day finished as it so often does in Norfolk with a Barn Owl quartering the marsh.

Also reported today the 2 Shorelark, 2 Lap Bunts, Twite, 11 Crossbill and Sandwich Tern.

Last edited:
Three of us are leaving Coventry at 4am. Might see you there Penny.

John

So did I and I AM!!!!!!!! with 3 other equally mad people for first light!!!!

Leaving Norfolk could be a big mistake but will hope any megas will stay around for Sunday! Someone keep that Pec Sand at Cley for me please!

Best Wishes Penny:girl:

Blakeney resident, you've got to try this out of county birding. It really is good fun! It took me a nano-second to decide to go for it. I have dreamed of finding the first one in yarmouth cemetery but I was beaten to it. Cracking bird. Well worth the trip

Users who are viewing this thread

Back