• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk birding (26 Viewers)

Here's the map link Dave suggested:

http://binged.it/URFSgR

Garden Drove is the one that goes out from the A149 at the 4m spot height, and bisects the "Warham Greens" text at the northern end. That's where the copse is. When I saw the bird with John F et al on Saturday, not long after it had been found, it wasn't much more than half way down the track, favouring a particularly tall sycamore on the left-hand side. It was initially calling quite a bit, but went quiet with more people arriving later.

Good luck - it's a cracking little bird.

Seems like it has been spending the last few days in the small copse at the north end of Garden Drove (I think) - the western most track down to Warham Greens. You can carefully take a car down the track to a concrete pad and continue to walk north to the end. It should be reasonably easy with a pushchair, although you might need to leave it outside the copse (or you might encounter the Flycatcher on the way down!) Hopefully someone more computer literate than me might post a map link for you!

It really is a cracking bird!
PS love your pics of the Holme one

The enhancement was merely: 1) Enlarge 2) Auto adjust colours 3) sharpen twice in Irfanview.
Like you, I'm really not worried either way: I didn't post the observation as some kind of ego-massaging big-up, just as a passing reference. I have hours of video I've taken of Sabs from the Scillonian, including groups of four & five.
As to the Honey: I posted a bunch of pictures in a hurry: so sue me: it's still one of the better Honey images taken in Norfolk this year....
And Stuart: Ring Ouzel

Thanks for the info gents, just need to work out if I can sneak out there in the morning. I was pleased with the one at Holme today but this one looks to be even better!

The enhancement was merely: 1) Enlarge 2) Auto adjust colours 3) sharpen twice in Irfanview.
Like you, I'm really not worried either way: I didn't post the observation as some kind of ego-massaging big-up, just as a passing reference. I have hours of video I've taken of Sabs from the Scillonian, including groups of four & five. As to the Honey: I posted a bunch of pictures in a hurry: so sue me: it's still one of the better Honey images taken in Norfolk this year....
And Stuart: Ring Ouzel

Why doesn't the enhanced 2nd picture show any black on the tail tip?
300 m through a scope is not distant (people would be able to id LtSs with ease at that range!!) It is obviously important to you that people like your pictures and I remember you videos from your Norfolk ones you did - I used to own a few, they've been lost now.

As to the Honey: I posted a bunch of pictures in a hurry: so sue me: it's still one of the better Honey images taken in Norfolk this year....

I have decided I need to get a life!
This, David is what you posted at the time:

I did the weak-willed bit! I told the wife I'd seen a Honey: she looked at the photos and agreed... So, like a real wimp, I posted the pic on here hoping for confirmation! LOL!

Not backing up the 'posted a bunch of pictures in a hurry' comment above... oh, well!

Honestly: I have no idea how the filters in Irfanview alter things: it seems that 'colour enhance' is quite a crude tool that affects the image in lots of ways. David: I really don't mind whether people like my pictures or not: I've never submitted any for publication or anything, and have only put them on here for information. I do find it ironic that some posters never commented about the good, clear and significant pics I put on here of birds like 'our' Turtles and Redstarts or interesting images of the flora & fauna on my blog (many of which are really quite unusual) Incidentally: if you enlarge the 'enhanced' image, you can see a dark tail tip....

Attachments

• Redwing confrontation.jpg
    Redwing confrontation.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 178
I doesn't look like a Sab .. Sorry
If it was a juv (and the black tail indicates that it is) then you would see a brown back , not a grey one.
Tail also looks very square
Looks like a Common Gull 1cy to me!

Hi Penny, sorry to hear about said camera, hope its insured.

Hi Tony, the camera is insured, BUT they won't pay out! Think the camera might be ok now, but the lens isn't (see my latest update on blog)

Hi Penny,

Your 7D could dry out OK - I saw 2 fully recover after a drenching and I had a Pentax that recovered after dying in a rainstorm.

All my gear was soaked after Gun Hill so I need to reconsider what camera bag I take out in the next deluge.

Good luck with the drying.
Hi Dave, camera is ok I think now, but lens isn't! It is currently being professionally dried out!

Thanks to you both
Penny:girl:

Red-breasted Flycatcher yesterday at Burnham Overy Dunes, shortly before the camera packed up!

More pictures on my blog.

Penny:girl:

Attachments

• IMG_3377 crop.jpg
    IMG_3377 crop.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 157
Anyway, as has been said .. This should be about constructive criticism .. And I am always keen to know when I have made a mistake. And then I learn from it!

Talking of mistakes.. I think I mean 2cy Common. But someone please correct me if wrong!

A four mile trudge along the back of the dunes produced nothing of note apart from a huge passage of hirundines. The sea was better, with close-in Guillies and Red-throated Divers and a distant Sabines....
Continual streams of Pinkfeet were coming in off the sea all day: very atmospheric!

Well I don't think if the photos were submitted on their own they could be accepted as anything else other than a distant Gull but the features available shouldn't completely eliminate Sabs either. The black wedge seems extremely solid (unblemished by white mirrors) and contrasts with the rest of the wing, black tip is evident on the first photo and bright sunlight might be creating a bleaching effect on the rest of the upperwing. Clearly not a juv Sabs but adults are observed far less frequently + if it was with Kittiwakes and was smaller there is a direct size comparison. Perhaps looks a bit odd because Sabs have disproportionate body size to wing shape.

Stu its a Black Redstart

Last edited:
see if you can tell what this bird is

Stuart: it’s one of the special traffic cones that undertakers put outside churches and such places before, during and after funerals (see below), taken through an old, distorted glass bottle. But why you should want to do this, I’ve no idea. Perhaps you went on a creative photography course (?) and then bottled out without telling us.

I’m sure you’ve posted this here, before.

Trying to work out if I will be able to get to the bird with the pushchair.

Peter: you may find that the pushing is easier just to the east of the trees bordering the westernmost track (I refuse to call it by any other name) at Warham Greens. I’ve seen someone go down there on a scooter- he said it was more on the level. (Unlike the Luscinia excuses!).

Do try and make the effort: it’s the nicest one I’ve seen, with the throat colour reminiscent of several of the ingredients of a Mediterranean fruit salad. Good luck to you and ‘gnome’ (I so enjoy writing that word).

Before this attracts another barrage of comments, I hasten to add that this should in no way be construed as a comment on any photos of gulls recently posted here. I personally find these attempts to Sabotage someone else’s records distasteful- unlike most fruit salads.

(In any case, the 3rd shot from the left in #17531 clearly shows the bird to have hybridised with either terns or gannets.)

Attachments

• cone.jpg
    cone.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 66
Well I don't think if the photos were submitted on their own they could be accepted as anything else other than a distant Gull but the features available shouldn't completely eliminate Sabs either. The black wedge seems extremely solid (unblemished by white mirrors) and contrasts with the rest of the wing, black tip is evident on the first photo and bright sunlight might be creating a bleaching effect on the rest of the upperwing. Clearly not a juv Sabs but adults are observed far less frequently + if

Agree... Just goes to show you can't go on photos alone.

I know images can look distorted especially on distant shots such as this.
So could be Sab's. Although black tail would eliminate Adult. So when record is submitted it should be clear that it is being submitted as an juv/1st w bird?

Stu... Your photo is much easier to ID. Ring Ouzel? :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back