• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

Thought I'd add some photos of the Little Egret from Friday when it performed in front of the hide. It took several fish from the lagoon to the left of the hide in a short space of time including the two captured here by Mrs M. I'll leave it to the experts to decide what the 'grainy' orange/red fish is.

I would suggest that the size, shape and colour are consistent with a male Stickleback - please see exhibit A (first pic;)) below:

Sticklebacks have been present in the flashes for as long as I can remember so their presence doesn't necessarily suggest any significant changes in the salinity of the flashes.

However, it may well be true that there have been significant increases in the populations of these fish and this may be why Little egrets and Little Grebes are now able to feed in the first and second flashes.

I would suggest that these changes are more likely due to nutrient-enrichment. This (eutrophication) may be due to agricultural runoff of NPK (Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium) fertilizers or it may be due to the accumulations of droppings from certain birds. Birds which actually feed on the flashes (such as waders) would not cause nutrient levels to increase over time (they simply recycle the nutrients that are already present) but those which feed elsewhere but congregate on the flashes (e.g. Geese and Gulls) may import significant levels of nutrients (guano) over time. This increase in nutrient levels could lead to increases in Stickleback food (which may have previously been limiting their populations in the flashes).

Exhibit B (figure 1) is part of the study I carried out between 2010 and 2012 and shows how the salinity of the first flash varies with dilution (i.e. water level). As you can see, there is significant variation with freshwater (rain) input. I have some data that Arthur Jacobs collected going back to 1970 and all lie within the same range (although these older data do not have any corresponding water-levels which is a shame). I believe that the Trust have collected more data since 2012 so it would be interesting to compare this with the 2010-12 data. If any significant change (p<.05) has occurred, the most recent data would need to consistently lie outside the 95% confidence interval (dashed lines) or show a significantly different gradient /correlation coefficient (much data would be required to prove this).

I hope this makes sense. :t:

Attachments

• MaleStickleback.jpg
    MaleStickleback.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 73
  • Flashes Salinity 1.jpg
    Flashes Salinity 1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 75
With all the chat on the elimination of some of the phragmites on the flashes and not having the time to read all 1097 pages of the forum has weed wiping been consider instead of spraying the areas . You may be thinking now that,s an impossible task, but wiping the weed killer straight onto the new growth can be effective and doesn't harm anything but the plant . The bonus touch 1 new growth and you might kill the 4 around it . I used to weed wipe christmas tree plantations and using Monsanto Roundup was very effective . Phragmites was not the target then, but any type of weed killer should be usable in a wiper.

With all the chat on the elimination of some of the phragmites on the flashes and not having the time to read all 1097 pages of the forum has weed wiping been consider instead of spraying the areas . You may be thinking now that,s an impossible task, but wiping the weed killer straight onto the new growth can be effective and doesn't harm anything but the plant . The bonus touch 1 new growth and you might kill the 4 around it . I used to weed wipe christmas tree plantations and using Monsanto Roundup was very effective . Phragmites was not the target then, but any type of weed killer should be usable in a wiper.

I'd support that very sensible approach and have suggested similar in the past. Unfortunately, the Trust / NE won't go for it.

This photo from Mike T , we should now be able to ID the fish that the Little egrets are feeding on at the Flashes .B :)

Attachments

• fish at Flashes IMG_3288.jpg
    fish at Flashes IMG_3288.jpg
    567.5 KB · Views: 142

As Dave has already indicated the debate around the use of herbicide has not developed beyond 'first base' and certainly not onto methods of deployment - I would concur that wiping would massively reduce collateral damage. John and I would quite happily devote a year's worth of Flashes work parties to undertaking this task if given the green light.

As Dave has already indicated the debate around the use of herbicide has not developed beyond 'first base' and certainly not onto methods of deployment - I would concur that wiping would massively reduce collateral damage. John and I would quite happily devote a year's worth of Flashes work parties to undertaking this task if given the green light.

Without a doubt Phil...At the recent management meeting with the Trust, we were told that trial treatment could be on the cards. :t:

Hi Phil I recall suggesting to AH that we could 'paint' the emerging leaves of the reeds with glyphosate at one meeting - effectively the same as wiping. He wasn't going for it at that time.

Last edited:
Further sightings yesterday p.m.: Common Gull (ad & 1st W high over Hen Pool/Flashes c.16.00, Sand Martin (5 north between 16.30 & 16.45). Med Gull dropped in briefly c.16.30. Two singing Goldcrests - one along Moors causeway late morning and one in ER early afternoon.

LRP numbers increased to 3 at the Flashes.

Med Gull (2s) still at the Moors Pool & 3 Little Egret

Last edited:
Tuesday 7th April 1000-1730

SAILING POOL
12 GC Grebe, 4 Canada Geese, 18 Mallard, 2 Mute Swan, 11 Tufted Duck, 10 Coot, 3 Moorhen, 2 Oystercatcher on raft, Meadow Pipit north, 2 Chiffchaff singing.

EDUCATION RESERVE
2 Chiffchaff and 1 Cetti's Warbler singing.

FLASHES
25 Avocet, 2 Oystercatcher, 3 LR Plover (only 2 later), 8 Lapwing (extensive display activity), 1 Snipe, 2 Curlew, 1 Little Egret, 18 Tufted Duck, 4 Shelduck, 14 Mallard, 21 Teal, 2 Shoveler (pair), 5 Gadwall (2 pairs and a male), 22 Moorhen, 21 Coot, 4 Canada Geese, 2 Greylag Geese, 1 LBB Gull, c400 BH Gull, Green Woodpecker, 1 Swallow, 3 Sand Martin, 2 Chiffchaff and 1 Cetti's Warbler singing, Sparrowhawk, 5 Buzzard, 2 Peregrine Falcon, 2 Raven (nest still occupied), Nuthatch opposite Hen Pool Hide.
White Wagtail reported early afternoon.

MOORS POOL
4 Oystercatcher, 2 Avocet, 2 Lapwing, 3 LBB Gull, c400 BH Gull, Med Gull (2s), 3 Shelduck, 33 Shoveler, c20 Mallard, 4 Teal, 57 Tufted Duck, 4 GC Grebe, 5 Little Grebe, c50 Coot, 10 Moorhen (brood on 4 near West Hide), 2 Mute Swan, 5 Greylag Geese, 25 Canada Geese, 12 Cormorant, 3 Little Egret, Grey Heron over, 5 Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, 1 Swallow, 1 Sand Martin, 2 + Blackcap + 5 Chiffchaff + 4 Cetti's Warblers singing, Kingfisher, White Wagtail on East Island for 5 mins around 1pm

NORTH MOORS
2 Gadwall, 5 Teal, 2 Mallard, 2 Tufted Duck, 4 Canada Geese, 2 Coot, 5 Moorhen

Last edited:
Work Party

Charles delivered a splendid new tern raft. It is currently below the East Hide and will be launched when the terns arrive on the scene.

Paul M, John C, Bob R and I cut willows on the North Moors and repaired the viewing screen. We enjoyed plenty of cake as our colleagues had gone off on a jolly.

Peter

Work Party

Charles delivered a splendid new tern raft. It is currently below the East Hide and will be launched when the terns arrive on the scene.

Paul M, John C, Bob R and I cut willows on the North Moors and repaired the viewing screen. We enjoyed plenty of cake as our colleagues had gone off on a jolly.

Peter

well done the 5 of you, we'll be back next weekB :)
did you mention cake, I will be back early Thursday if you have any left over:eat:8-P

Don't know if it's already been reported but a ringed Avocet at Flashes. Metal ring right leg, white ring left leg both above knee. Looks like 64.

A colour-ringed bird – white 64 on its left leg, gold? on its right leg – was part of a pair at the Moors Pool on the 7th May 2014. The same bird had previously been noted at Clifton Pits on the 18th, 19th and 22nd April 2014 and again in early May 2014 as well as Lower Moor during the same period; it could potentially also be the colour-ringed bird observed at Middleton Lakes on the 30th March and 9th April 2014. The bird was originally ringed on the 4th September 2008 in Zwarte Hann, Netherlands and was subsequently recorded at Blacktoft Sands RSPB, East Yorkshire on the 8th May 2009 and at Halsham, East Yorkshire on the 3rd June 2013. There have been no further sightings until yesterday.

Last edited:
Photo's from today

Attachments

• Little Grebe A 2J4A1990.jpg
    Little Grebe A 2J4A1990.jpg
    304 KB · Views: 80
  • Moorhen A 2J4A1908.jpg
    Moorhen A 2J4A1908.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 74
  • Water Rail A 2J4A2000.jpg
    Water Rail A 2J4A2000.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 84
Forgot to mention that a strange sighting from yesterday was this dead mole on the path to the Flashes, just after the Feeding Station Hide. Cant think of any mole hills nearby; perhaps it was dropped by a predator?

Attachments

• 20150407_101011.jpg
    20150407_101011.jpg
    467.7 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back