• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

50D or 40D? (1 Viewer)

I have just bought the 50d today, despite the noise issues. I started having focussing problems with my 40d, as experienced by quite a few bf members, and decided to swop before it became any worse!! The light has been poor since the change over but without a doubt the focussing issue is no more! Will comment later on the "noise." Glad you are enjoying yours Christine!! Did you have any problem with the 40 on focus?

Kim, I had no problems with the focus when I was using the 40D. Mario has it now but it only gets used occasionally maybe two photos a week, what a waste.:-O I could make use of it for my macroso:instead of his old 30DD but I am being a good girl and not taking it back;)

I am still loving the 50D and I know you will despite the little noise at very high ISO, if you use the software carefully the noise isn't an issue. Its great to have the option of shooting even in very low light and having usable images for our own personal records. I'm loving it.

Seeing this thread started me thinking again. My 20D is getting a bit long in the tooth and the 50D prices are starting to look very attractive - but then, so the 40D prices are even better!

How easy is the lens focus adjustment to use? I have a sneaky feeling if I had it I'd forever be tweaking it and never being quite happy!

There seem to be so many conflicting views re: IQ too. A lot of the 50D samples I've seen look a little flat and I can't work out if that is poor light or the camera. Maybe I just need to hire one for a week to get a feel!

I am absolutely delighted with the rapid focussing on the 50d, I was having real problems with the 40d! Ir also works really well with the tele-converter 1.4 too. Sorry cannot put any pictures up at the moment - up to my eyes with Christmas visitors!! I think with the weather the way is at the moment, it is not the best time to show the best results, but I have been really pleased with the few I have taken in the garden!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back