• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D - Official (at last) (1 Viewer)

I'm looking forward to seeing the first posts and BF reviews. Who's going to be first (after Nigel of course - lol). This sounds like a serious step up from the 30D.

EDIT: Oops, that was a bit of a boob. Already 2 or 3 posting pics apparently taken with the 40D.

Last edited:
Got my 40D yesterday, looks good, off on the lincs coast for the weekend all I need is something to shoot at, sold the 1D mk3,

Its arrived.

For those that are interested the shutter noise is much quieter than my 20D & MkIIn. The vertical grip from my 20D fits too...most unlike Canon

i quite like the look of the 40d and may well get one if my mk3 that has now being sent back for ( Ajustment owing to crappy focus ) is still not right.
Rob.

Hi All

Perhaps not the most brilliant test and maybe nothing you haven't seen before in other reviews. Having received my 40d i wanted to test the noise levels at different ISOs for myself. See the below images. Personally i have never been happy shooting at anything above ISO100 with previouse cameras i have owned (350 and 20d) so i was keen to see if this one would be different. The uploaded jpg's images are a bit different to what i can see looking at the RAW files but basically ISO 200 is very clean (ISO 100 brilliant) without direct comparison i would say as good as ISO 100 on the 20D. ISO 400 is exceptable and ISO 800 probably nothing that couldn't be easily cleaned up with software. In short i was pleased and will be happy shooting away around the ISO200-400 area if nessasary without a worry.

Now to find something more interesting to photograph.

Richard :t:

Attachments

• Noise area.jpg
    Noise area.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 79
  • 40diso100.jpg
    40diso100.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 40diso200.jpg
    40diso200.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 40diso400.jpg
    40diso400.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 40diso800.jpg
    40diso800.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Having had my 350D for a couple of years now and living a couple of hundred metres from my local Jessops, i've got severly itchy fingers and feet today........(I was in there yesterday and had a little feel of the new 40D body!) Hmm, I'll see how I'm feeling after the Monza qualifying!

Can anyone who already owns a 40D confirm (or non-owners speculate) if the 40D has any built-in functionality to attract kingfishers, woodpeckers and the like, to actually get them to approach me within 20 feet, still for a couple of minutes to admire the new Canon gear while I get a few shots off? 8-P

Oooh Keith, that is turning the knife a tad, but the AF is great on the 1D MkIII too, well at least on the one I've used!

Popped out before breakfast to try the 40D on some Swallows in the nest. I figured they should be still enough to allow me to fiddle a little and get used to the camera. Here is one shot and a crop from it. I made full use of live view throughout, and excellent and useful feature of this camera.

Canon 40D
Sigma 500 F4.5
1/250sec
F7.1
ISO200
580ex flashgun

Attachments

• swallow nest _MG_0413 lw.jpg
    swallow nest _MG_0413 lw.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 124
  • swallow nest crop.jpg
    swallow nest crop.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 109
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back