• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

40D died today! (1 Viewer)

Adrian, fretting over possibly getting a malfunctioning camera is silly.

It ain't if I get a duff camera;) Seriously though , with any mass produced item, especially those with a lot of electronics, you are going to get duff batches. Rolls Royce even had them:smoke:

I think one can become paranoid over the 40d and possible problems. I have the 40d and am, using it with the 400 f5.6 prime lens. Generally I have been delighted with the pairing. However I have been reading the forums on some poor experiences. Yesterday I had installed the camera indoors overlooking a feeding station, but the camera wouod not focus. I checked settings etc, switched it on and off, removed the battery etc.,and nothing worked. That's it I thought, mine has gone as well.! Just before the despair was complete I noticed that the black guard thaT I put the camera through had obscured part of the lens!!!
As Keith has said - let's keep it all in perpective - and not anticipate the worst!! It's a great camera! (Touch wood);)

An interesting thread... my first 40D had fairly shocking front foocusing issues, this was instantly obvious and the camera was replaced by the retailer. The replacement is spot on, it nails focus everytime (though sometimes I fail to get the focus on the right point...) Earlier in the year I got a second one which spends most of the time on my 400 f5.6, again the focus is spot on, it's the best flight shot set up I've owned. Clearly there are problems with some 40Ds (as there will be with any such item), but the vast majority work very well. If you are worried about the focusing issue then buy from a reputable retailer, give it a good testing and get it replaced if need be.

Dang! I sure hate hearing about the 40D problems! I just purchased one a month ago and I'm new to digital SLR photography and was hoping this was a superb purchase. Now, I'm paranoid! I already got screwed by the place I purchased it from, I sure hope I don't have issues with it! Ugh! Sorry about yours, Ian!

Julie

I have been out this week with my second 40D, I gave it a thorough work out & every thing is absolutely spot on.
Like postcardcv says, buy one from a good retailer, check it out, & if you are not happy get a refund or replacement. that's what I did, and now I'm a happy bunny!

Last edited:
My 40D I bought a month ago and worked well in Namibia has also gone kaput. I press shutter button and autofocus works but when continue to press nothing happens. I changed lenses, battery, switched off camera and got a few shots before it happened again. Bummer

Just to try and clear this up once and for all what kind of settings do those whose cameras work use and which specifically affects the AF performance.

Otherwise, I'll see about getting a replacement.

Just to try and clear this up once and for all what kind of settings do those whose cameras work use and which specifically affects the AF performance.

Otherwise, I'll see about getting a replacement.
For a start you need to make sure that C.Fn III is set to Focus search on ( option 0).

My 40D I bought a month ago and worked well in Namibia has also gone kaput. I press shutter button and autofocus works but when continue to press nothing happens. I changed lenses, battery, switched off camera and got a few shots before it happened again. Bummer

Hate to say this - but that's just how mine went. Everything appeared to work but the shutter refused to fire. Switching off and removing the battery for 20secs cleared it a few times (advice from Canon) but it then refused to work at all. I was getting Err 99 message on the LCD.

The odd duff camera from the factory happens but a Camera that is working fine and then dies is disturbing.

Just a update - still no camera after six weeks of waiting.

I telephoned A.J.Johnstone again this morning. Still no parts received from Canon so they were good enough to chase it up with Canon and then recontact me. Canon say they'll have the parts delivered by Friday and that the camera will be back with me by the end of next week - which would be 25th April!

We'll see!!!

Camera not bag after six weeks

Hello,

it sounds awful.
My camera was out of order after 3 months ( Canon Powershot 620 ).
I did not spent so much money like You, because it is only a small camera.
There guarranty does not count really, especially in situation where You want to take pictures, but the camera does not works.
I had the same poor Canon service ( I was already 4 x in the shop ).

best regards
Dieter

Canon Repairs

Just a update - still no camera after six weeks of waiting.

I telephoned A.J.Johnstone again this morning. Still no parts received from Canon so they were good enough to chase it up with Canon and then recontact me. Canon say they'll have the parts delivered by Friday and that the camera will be back with me by the end of next week - which would be 25th April!

We'll see!!!

Ian

Its a bit disappointing that you are still waiting for your repairs:-C

On a similar note I have an EFS 60 mm lens at A.J.Johnstone which they have had for weeks and they tell me they are awaiting spares with no ETA. It makes you wonder who is to blame for the delays:C

Brian

Ian

Its a bit disappointing that you are still waiting for your repairs:-C

On a similar note I have an EFS 60 mm lens at A.J.Johnstone which they have had for weeks and they tell me they are awaiting spares with no ETA. It makes you wonder who is to blame for the delays:C

Brian

It's more than a little annoying that I telephoned them before sending off the camera and they reckoned it would take two weeks!

After three weeks I rang and they said it would be back with me the next day!

Another phone call four days later and they said they'd had to order a part for it and could offer no explanation why I'd been told it was repaired and on it's way back to me.

Then when I rang them for an update today - now six weeks - they said they'd requested the part from Canon on 1st April and hadn't received it yet. By my reckoning they'd had the camera 3 weeks before even ordering the part!!!

It doesn't exactly inspire confidence for using them again ;)

I believe Fixation are a specified Canon repairer and I have heard nothing but good reports about them.

I know how you feel Ian. The good news is that Canon turned my camera round in a couple of days when the shutter went AWOL so I'm sure you'll soon be reunited!

Paul

Kinda wish I hadn't posted this now.

I can only guess that the prompt service was because I sent the camera to elstree and rang each day for progress checks, which was what my dealer told me to do!

Lol! Maybe that's where I went wrong. I've only been ringing weekly! I used A.J.Johnstone once before albeit a few years ago and was reasonably pleased with their service albiet in hindsight even that took four weeks for what was a very simple repair.

In future I'll definitely be using an alternate firm. I chose them as they're closest to me and of course one of the Canon recommended repairers but really when mailing an item distance away in the UK doesn't really matter.

40D reliability

I know a bunch of people with 40Ds in India. They get to see some challenging environments in terms of heat, dust, humidity and just generally being knocked about in the pursuit of natural history pictures and not one has had the slightest problem. I do know one person who had a mirror problem with a 5D and funnily enough that has led quite a few people who know him to label the 5D as 'dodgy'.
On the much discussed focusing issues, I am more convinced than ever that with the 456, my 30D is consistently more accurate than my 40D, I suspect its probably just a minor issue with my particular camera but I'm not complaining because its still excellent in term of keepers. I'm not really sure about the relative focus speeds cos they're both Bl**din' fast!
Yes of course the 40D is massively better than a 350D BUT, the 350D can still produce absolutely first class results with some good glass, in fact at 8x10 I can't really see any consistent differences.

Lol! Maybe that's where I went wrong. I've only been ringing weekly! I used A.J.Johnstone once before albeit a few years ago and was reasonably pleased with their service albiet in hindsight even that took four weeks for what was a very simple repair.

In future I'll definitely be using an alternate firm. I chose them as they're closest to me and of course one of the Canon recommended repairers but really when mailing an item distance away in the UK doesn't really matter.

Its my first experience with A.J.Johnstone and Canon repairs but like yourself (and after reading your similar experience) I will think twice - slow repairs and very poor communication.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back