• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 7D Mk II is announced and available for pre-order (1 Viewer)

Yes it will.

Photo here with 400/5.6 and 1.4 extender.

But it focuses with the centre spot only and the four spots around it.
That's nice BW, I have had some reasonable shots with the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc but the single AF point (+4 assist) can be very restrictive I find.

I rarely use my 1dx the shutter sound is just to loud I often get myself down a ditch, canal or slues in camo gear or make shift hide the 7d mkII on silent 5fps (not silent ) but with care some birds just except the sound and keep coming .
The 1dx will scare them off way before they are close enough even with a 600mm .

Rob.
I wonder why they call it silent Rob as non of them are silent for sure - would be better if they described them as Quite mode I reckon lol.

Ha, ha. It's really not a lot of weight (22 pounds including bins) just a bit awkward.

I do most of my shooting handheld. This is not a style for most but I'm only 46 and I do have a background in strength sports. I carry the 1DX with 2x and 600f4 on a black rapid strap and the 7D2 and 100-400 on a cotton carrier vest. This works well up to about 4 miles. If I want to go longer distances then I would pack the 600f4 on a backpack for more comfort.
Jes :eek!: I doubt if I could even manage 4 yards with that let alone 4 miles. How good are these cotton carriers, would you say they are more comfortable than a Black rapid for something like the 7D2 and 100-400.

That's nice BW, I have had some reasonable shots with the 400/5.6 + 1.4x tc but the single AF point (+4 assist) can be very restrictive I find.

I find that its biggest drawback is the fact that you're limited to focusing at the centre of the frame without, for instance the ability to move the focus point higher to take advantage of the eye as a focus point on a bird that's quite close.

It's a choice of focusing on the centre and hoping for the best or focusing on the centre, then recomposing before pressing the shutter in the often folorn hope that the bird will hold the pose while you faff about.

Here's a more recent one. This one was last week. It was a fine day, so I spent the day wandering around with the 1.4 fixed and managed to get quite a few reasonable shots.

Attachments

• Whitethroat-(2)-web.jpg
    Whitethroat-(2)-web.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 207
I find that its biggest drawback is the fact that you're limited to focusing at the centre of the frame without, for instance the ability to move the focus point higher to take advantage of the eye as a focus point on a bird that's quite close.

It's a choice of focusing on the centre and hoping for the best or focusing on the centre, then recomposing before pressing the shutter in the often folorn hope that the bird will hold the pose while you faff about.

Here's a more recent one. This one was last week. It was a fine day, so I spent the day wandering around with the 1.4 fixed and managed to get quite a few reasonable shots.

Using Back Button for af would solve that restriction I think. Roy can confirm I guess.

Phil

As previous mentioned I too find it restrictive being limited to the centre point only. Centre point is fine when the bird is small in the frame as you can always crop to suit the right composition. But when the bird is large in the frame as you say its a matter of hoping that the birds eye/head is along the same focal plain as as the point that you have focused on OR recomposing after focusing on the eye/head which even if the bird stays absolutely still is not ideal because recomposing can lose the focus point anyway.
The answer is buy a f4 or faster lens or a longer focal length to begin with :eek!:

As previous mentioned I too find it restrictive being limited to the centre point only. Centre point is fine when the bird is small in the frame as you can always crop to suit the right composition. But when the bird is large in the frame as you say its a matter of hoping that the birds eye/head is along the same focal plain as as the point that you have focused on OR recomposing after focusing on the eye/head which even if the bird stays absolutely still is not ideal because recomposing can lose the focus point anyway.
The answer is buy a f4 or faster lens or a longer focal length to begin with :eek!:

My new Sigma seems to fill that slot - at least on the focal length aspect. I can't get it to be happy with the Canon MkIII 1.4x teleconverter though. I think I might have an inherent problem with the telecon.

I had to microadjust the camera to -14 to get shots in focus with the 400/5.6 and when I tried it out the other day with the Sigma it still seemed to be rear-focusing at the maximum adjustment of -20. The body is fine with both bare lenses, with only modest microadjustment with the Sigma and none with the Canon, but putting the extender on sends the focus off the map.

I have just got the Sigma 150-600 'C' and I have only briefly played around with with a tc (canon 1.4x MkII) but was surprised at the AF speed considering it is at f9. I have yet to test out the IQ with it though - it could well need some AFMA. On the 7D2 my 400/5.6 is fine with the bare lens but with the 1.4x tc it has -7 AFMA so it could be a similar case with the Siggy.

It does depend very much on what you are shooting John. I was photographing a Robin taking mealworms from my wife's hand from a distance of about 3 feet with no problem, if the bird will approach a human like that the noise isn't a problem.
If I try to take shots of the Jays that approach my feeders they immediately fly at the sound of the shutter. Some subjects hear the noise and you can get shots as they lift their heads to check the noise before flying. It really does vary but given a chance a silent shutter is my preference without a doubt.

Sorry Dave, but I must disagree with you on the subject of Jays. If I swing my lens onto them then they are gone! If I am well positioned beforehand then they pretty much ignore my very noisy 1 DX at about 7 meters or a little less - even in machine gun mode!
On Jays I have found that any movement is a lost opportunity, a noisy camera is just noisy!
I must agree though that I would prefer it to be quieter - but this is for Human considerations - wildlife couldn't care less. So far!!!!!!!!!!

No it wouldn't. I use back button all the time. The active autofocus is limited to the centre spot and four surrounding spots when using the teleconverter.

Surely you can use your thumb to focus, take your thumb off, recompose and fire the shutter. I thought this was the major benefit of back button focus?

Surely you can use your thumb to focus, take your thumb off, recompose and fire the shutter. I thought this was the major benefit of back button focus?

Surely that's what I described that I had to do in the absence of variable focus points in my post above.

It's a benefit, but sometimes not as good as being able to select a different focus point. As I described in that post, birds move and time is of the essence.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back