• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vietnam in October (1 Viewer)

Sam Woods and I visited Ho Toyen Lam in 2002 and never found any trails or the Nuthatch, one area was recenly burned and we actually got very lost at one point.

2002 was long before I was there, so can't tell.
Yellow-billed Nuthatch were plenty this time, saw at least 6 birds or more. Every flock had a pair, they react strongly to a Collared Owlet immitation...

Cuc Phuong was wet, drizzle and quiet. Eared Pitta was one of my hopes, I have not yet seen this one. Difficult bird. I met Tien there, a local guide, he had a stake out for photographers (feeding stations is new thing in Vietnam, it seems) but they also had no luck in the bad weather.
In the end I saw the two other Pittas better than I previously had in Cat Tien, and even managed to get a good photo (to my standard) of the Bar-bellied.

- One more, it is a nice bird
- Rufous-throated Fulvetta, one of the commoner birds in Cuc Phuong
- Collared Scops Owl
- Olive-backed Pipit
- Grasshopper

Attachments

• P1450225.JPG
    P1450225.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 25
  • P1450130.JPG
    P1450130.JPG
    480.5 KB · Views: 22
  • P1450399.JPG
    P1450399.JPG
    525.2 KB · Views: 20
  • P1450487.JPG
    P1450487.JPG
    745.9 KB · Views: 17
  • P1450122.JPG
    P1450122.JPG
    537.5 KB · Views: 13
No Blue-rumped Florian? We saw one at Cuc Phuong, I've had Eared at Khao Yai.

When we were at Cuc Phong, Bar-bellied was fairly easy but they were everywhere at Cat Tien, we were flushing them off the trail on the way to Crocodile lake.

Good to know that Douc Langurs are doing well at Cat Tien, we saw them in 2002, we also just missed a big herd of Gaur crossing the main road. What's happening with the Rhino proghramme there these days, are they extinct now? We met some researchers from WWF who were studying them (as much as you can when you never see them!) when we were there and they regularly found footprints but nobody ever saw one.

Last edited:
Yes, saw Blue-rumped as well in Cuc Phuong, but very briefly. In Cat Tien got only a glimpse of Bar bellied. Not a single call heared of Blue or Rusty naped in Dalat. Wrong time of the year. When Pittas are not calling spontaneously as they do in spring, they are very hard to see..

Yes, saw Blue-rumped as well in Cuc Phuong, but very briefly. In Cat Tien got only a glimpse of Bar bellied. Not a single call heared of Blue or Rusty naped in Dalat. Wrong time of the year. When Pittas are not calling spontaneously as they do in spring, they are very hard to see..

We had a couple а Grey Phalaropes in the middle of Dalat on a small pond which was a surprise.

Last edited:
Because of familiy, a couple of days were spent in Hanoi downtown. Not as bad, as in migration can be good in Hanoi. I had a couple of morning trips to the Botantical Gardens and to a site called "Vuon Nhan" at the red river. The botantical gardens had more bird photographers than birds, interesting how this little community developed in recent years. These guys use mealworms a lot and so there were some relatively tame birds here (e.g. the first two below).

- Orange-headed Thrush
- Blue Whistling Thrush
- Hainan Blue Flycatcher
- Amur Falcon
- Siberian Rubythroat

Attachments

• P1450071.JPG
    P1450071.JPG
    794.1 KB · Views: 12
  • P1450094.JPG
    P1450094.JPG
    726.3 KB · Views: 13
  • P1460356.JPG
    P1460356.JPG
    559.2 KB · Views: 10
  • P1460170.JPG
    P1460170.JPG
    526.9 KB · Views: 10
  • P1460015.JPG
    P1460015.JPG
    741 KB · Views: 10
So that was it. Attached the full list (267 species). Thanks for watching ;)

Attachments

• report-Vietnam-2018.pdf
    179.8 KB · Views: 10
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back