• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help With Otter (Borneo) Determination Needed (1 Viewer)

Semiramis

Hi,

These two photos were taken at Borneo Rainforest Lodge in Danum valley around 2 pm in MArch 2007. Distance was about 150m.

Is this a Small-clawed Otter or Smooth(-coated) Otter ?

Sizewise, it seemed more a Smooth Otter to me and the tail appeared to be raher long and flat, but several reference works claim this species is not found this far inland in Borneo.

Thanks for any help !

Best,

Sjef

Attachments

• otter crop DSC_0431.jpg
    otter crop DSC_0431.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 99
  • otter  crop DSC_0432.jpg
    otter crop DSC_0432.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 97
It's difficult to tell from the photographs either way. The long tail and neck look good for Smooth, although I am not convinced this is the species.

Size appears to be much more reliable in separating Small-clawed from Smooth, as the later is much larger. I guess you already know this, as you state the otter in the photo appeared to be nearer Smooth in size.

A quick search suggests that Small-clawed are relatively common in the area, with no mention of Smooth. Of course this doesn’t mean Smooth definitely doesn’t occur in this part of Borneo.

Some trip reports can be found here. Sorry I can’t be more help.

Thanks for your posts so far. The fact that most reference works only mention small-clawed otter for Danummade me doubt too. But the animal was really quite large. I had already checked a few trip reports on mammalwatching.com, but not all the older ones and now found two reports where both otter species are listed for Danum. So I will stick with Smooth Otter.
Sjef

Thanks for your posts so far. The fact that most reference works only mention small-clawed otter for Danummade me doubt too. But the animal was really quite large. I had already checked a few trip reports on mammalwatching.com, but not all the older ones and now found two reports where both otter species are listed for Danum. So I will stick with Smooth Otter.
Sjef

Looking at some more photos I think I would go for Smooth, especially if it apeared large. (SC is one of the smallest otter species in the world). The fact it occurs in Danum would be the clincher for me.

It does look big and powerful to me as well, so I think you are right. Here are a couple of comparison photos of Smooth from the Kinabatangon River not a million miles away.

Cheers

Attachments

• Smoothreduced1.jpg
    Smoothreduced1.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 63
  • Smoothreduced2.jpg
    Smoothreduced2.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 62
Thanks Mike and Gareth for additional comments and nice photos !
Yes, I am convinced, I am definitely going to stick with Smooh otter.

I am writing up a trip report for mammalwatching.com and travellingbirder.com. Will be up in a couple of weeks.
Cheers,

Sjef

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back