• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

From my Manhattan Window (3 Viewers)

Good thrushes

Hello all,

This is cross over season, as I am seeing many white throated sparrows, an autumnal bird, yet I am still seeing gray catbirds, a summer bird. The white throated sparrows have become quite numerous Of course, I saw brown thrashers, kinglets, magnolia and black and white warblers,and parulas, today. Near the Maintenace Meadow I saw my first song sparrow of the season. Then I met Êtudiant and we moved weill into the Ramble. He pointed out a swamp sparrow in its richer autumnal brown. While looking for a gray cheeked thrush we sighted a Swainson's thrush , a wood thrush and a hermit thrush. That gray cheeked thrush was a life bird for me!
All images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York, 1914, v.2.
Incidentally, if you let the cursor hover over the image, a title should appear.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :scribe:

Attachments

• Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 49
  • Autumnal swamp sparrow.jpg
    Autumnal swamp sparrow.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Gray cheeked Thrush.jpg
    Gray cheeked Thrush.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 61
  • wood thrush.jpg
    wood thrush.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 60
A full morning

Hello all,

I started of my morning at Strawberry Fields, where I saw kinglets, a common yellowthroat, an immature American redstart, and a black throated blue warbler. I also met a couple from East Lansing, Michigan, who adopted me as their guide. Near Bank Rock Pool, we met Étudiant, who joined us for a while. We were also given advice to go the Azalea pond for a treat.
Along the pool we saw hermit thrushes, a swainson's thrush, wood thrushes and pewees. On the path, a yellow bellied sapsucker appeared, as well as a house wren, a life bird I think. We went to the Azalea Pond, by way of the Maintenance Meadow. After leaving the maintenance meadow an ovenbird crossed our path. At the Azalea Pond, an immature great blue heron was enthralling the bird watchers. More thrushes were seen, in the same place, as yesterday, including a gray cheeked thrush, as well as a northern flicker. I may have my locations off but it was a good walk.
The Michigan visitors headed off to the reservoir, and I left Central Park by way of Triplets bridge,being rewarded by s sighting of a hairy woodpecker and a Louisiana waterthrush.
As usual, all images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from The birds of New York 1914, v.2m except the sapsucker which was painted by him but appeared in Eckstrom's Woodpeckers

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :egghead:

Attachments

• Yellow bellied.jpt.jpg
    Yellow bellied.jpt.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 62
  • house wren.jpg
    house wren.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 58
  • ovenbird.jpg
    ovenbird.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 54
  • Louisiana waterthrush.jpg
    Louisiana waterthrush.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 49
Another life bird

Hello all,

Yesterday was unseasonably warm and humid, with very little to show for my efforts except a northern waterthrush, seen from Triplets bridge. Today, there were white throated sparrows, catbirds, four northern flickers in the maintenance meadow, red bellied woodpeckers, parulas, kinglets, blue headed vireos, American redstarts, black throated blue winged, blackpoll, black and white, and magnolia warblers, a towhee, but neither phoebes nor pewees.
My bird of the day, which was in Strawberry Fields, was a Lincoln sparrow, which had been reported in the Park, for days.

Both images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes from Birds of New York, 1914, v.2.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

Attachments

• northern waterthrush.jpg
    northern waterthrush.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 51
  • Lincoln sparrow.jpg
    Lincoln sparrow.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 43
Cloudy weather

Hello all,

Wednesday, I had an appointment with my physician. At home, a pewee appeared, at my window. Yesterday morning, it started to rain, when I wanted to leave for the Park. Today, I arrived at Strawberry Fields to find a sprinkler working in my favorite area, although an Eastern Towhee crossed my path
I headed for the Maintenance Meadow. En route, i saw both hermit and a Swainson's thrush. The meadow had more song sparrows in one place than I had ever seen. Otherwise, nothing much to report.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Swainson's thrush.jpg
    Swainson's thrush.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 51
  • Song sparrow.jpg
    Song sparrow.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 55
Sunday in the Park

Hello all,

I met another BFer, yesterday, but I did not ask him for his Forum name. We were both at that productive spot north of the Lennon Memorial in Strawberry Fields. He walked off just before a winter wren turned up. I met Étudiant who informed me of gadwalls and wood ducks, which I did not see, on Turtle Pond. Kinglets, song sparrows, a swamp swallow and hermit thrushes also turned up.

Today, my highlight was my first junco of the season.

Last week, I gave some directions to an English tourist, in Central Park. He asked if I lived in New York to which I replied that I did and that I was in the Park to watch birds. He then said, "Oh, you are a twitcher, are you?" To which I replied, "I am not a twitcher, as I have never gone more than 200 metres out of my way to see a bird. I never trespass or behave rudely to people near an unusual bird." Was this tourist trying to upset me or do bird watchers have such a reputation in the UK?

Attachments

• Winter wren II.jpg
    Winter wren II.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 54
  • gadwall, male.jpg
    gadwall, male.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 46
  • gadwall,female.jpg
    gadwall,female.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 59
  • junco.jpg
    junco.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Just what is a "twitcher?"

Bob

Hello Bob,

As I understand the word, in the UK bird watchers obsessed with adding species to their list, who travel long distances to see those birds, who climb over walls, and trespass private property are twitchers. Clearly the word is not too precisely defined, but I do not think that the typical bird watcher who visits parks, nature preserves, and open country without obsessing over his lists would qualify as a "twitcher."

Happy bird watching,

Season is slowing

Hello all,

Things seem to be slowing in the migration. On Tuesday, I saw a beautiful golden crowned kinglet, a common yellow throats, a parula and hermit thrushes. Yesterday, hardly anything except kinglets and hermit thrushes. Today, also very sparse, until I arrived at triplets bridge, to see a female common yellow throat, a kinglet,a swamp sparrow and a winter wren.
Once again, Turtle Pond had a a pair of gadwalls but no wood ducks as promised by a bird watcher.
On Tuesday, I was surprised to hear from a bird watcher that there was a chippy at the Maintenance Meadow. I thought that Central Park had been cleaned up, over the years. Then I realised that he meant a chipping sparrow.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    golden crowned Kinglet.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 57
  • yellow-throat.jpg
    yellow-throat.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Swamp sparrow.jpg
    Swamp sparrow.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Winter wren II.jpg
    Winter wren II.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 51
More autumnal weather

Hello all,

I seemed to have missed reporting a black crowned night heron, which flew over the Lake, on Tuesday. I had not seen one for many weeks.

Today's excursion included the usual gray catbirds, a kinglet, hermit, wood and Swainson's thrushes,a cedar waxwing, on a branch. a junco, a a swamp sparrow, again, at Triplets Bridge, ubiquitous white throated sparrows, song sparrows and a field sparrow, on the Maintenance Meadow.
Bird images are by Louis Agassiz Fuertes fromBirds of New York
I also saw an excellent example of New York's autumnal foliage: a sugar maple tree. Photographed with an iPod.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Swainsons thrush.jpg
    Swainsons thrush.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 49
  • Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    Waxwings, cedar.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 57
  • Field sparrow.jpg
    Field sparrow.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 50
  • Sugar maple.jpg
    Sugar maple.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 49
Hello Bob,

As I understand the word, in the UK bird watchers obsessed with adding species to their list, who travel long distances to see those birds, who climb over walls, and trespass private property are twitchers. Clearly the word is not too precisely defined, but I do not think that the typical bird watcher who visits parks, nature preserves, and open country without obsessing over his lists would qualify as a "twitcher."

Happy bird watching,

Thanks for the definition Arthur. The term seems to carry some different connotations.

That is a fine picture of a Maple Tree's fall foliage colors in thread#169 above. Unfortunately at our higher elevations here in NE PA most of their colors are gone now. The one in my back yard has lost most of it's leaves. They are among the first trees to change colors in the fall and have the most variety in their colors and are also among the first to lose their leaves.

Bob

Last edited:
Ducks. etc.

Hello all,
Back to autumnal weather, as it was 9ºC, this morning.
Bob, even in New York, the sugar maples are the first to change colour, however most of the maples on the streets of the city are Norway maples, which were planted because they are more resistant to pollution.
Monday, I saw a pair of cedar waxwings, on a branch. That's how it goes: I do not see a bird for months, then I see them, two days in a row. With the waxwings, that is peculiar because they nest in Central Park. I have been seeing a lot of hermit thrushes, of late, and some Swainson's thrushes, and I still see kinglets and even yellow dumped warblers. Song sparrows are still common but I did see a chipping sparrow in the Maintenance Meadow, today. From there I walked to the Belvedere and then around Turtle Pond.
At the statue of the Polish King Jagiello, I looked over the Pond to see three pairs of gadwalls. Another bird watcher agreed that the number was unusual. I kept on walking around the pond to the observation dock, where I managed to see a male wood duck in the reeds across the water. As I looked, it walked onshore and under cover of some bushes.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Attachments

• Hermit thrush.jpg
    Hermit thrush.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Yellow rumped or myrtle warbler.jpg
    Yellow rumped or myrtle warbler.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 52
  • Chipping sparrow.jpg
    Chipping sparrow.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Wood duck.jpg
    Wood duck.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 52
More waterfowl

Hello,

Not much new to report on passerines, although I did see a house finch, yesterday. I have gotten the measure of wood ducks: they like to keep to the shoreline. Yesterday, I visited Turtle Pond to see gadwalls. From the dock, I carefully observed the shoreline across the pond, to see three male wood ducks leaving the pond for some cover.
Today, there were two male wood ducks, on the Lake, also keeping close to the shoreline. This has been a very good time for wood ducks. Near them was a white breasted duck, which must have been a northern pintail. If anyone can suggest a different species, let me know, as the lighting and distance were not ideal. However, I cannot think of another another duck with a white breast and neck.
I also include a photo of the same sugar maple, a few days later than the first photograph.
I neglected to mention that I am still seeing phoebes.[/i]
Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Pintail.jpg
    Pintail.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Sugar Maple II.jpg
    Sugar Maple II.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 49
  • phoebe.jpg
    phoebe.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Waterfowl, again

Hello,

There is hardly anything new to report. I am still seeing kinglets and hermit thrushes, as well as grackles. My report of a northern pintail was confirmed by others, who told me that it has moved to the Mere. Today, I saw a gadwall on Turtle Pond, as well as three male wood ducks, which makes the best season for woodies in Central Park.

I attach another photo of that same sugar maple.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Sugar Maple III.jpg
    Sugar Maple III.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 59
I just read the whole last page in one go. You had quite an impressive autumn with all those migrants. I guess I would spend whole evenings going over field guides in anticipation of new warblers and flycatchers (and thrushes!) I could see tomorrow. It seems Central Park is in level with our best birdwatching sites (which are tucked somewhere far in the countryside). Are your local birdwatchers a cohesive group or more like "everyone goes their own way and sometimes you happen to be together at the same place"?

I just read the whole last page in one go. You had quite an impressive autumn with all those migrants. I guess I would spend whole evenings going over field guides in anticipation of new warblers and flycatchers (and thrushes!) I could see tomorrow. It seems Central Park is in level with our best birdwatching sites (which are tucked somewhere far in the countryside). Are your local birdwatchers a cohesive group or more like "everyone goes their own way and sometimes you happen to be together at the same place"?

Hello Zheljko,
Thank you for the kind words.
I never pursue the field guide before leaving. Rather I appreciate whatever I see, in the time I allow. Central Park is on the migratory flyway, so a huge number of species pass through: more than 200, perhaps. As a retired person, I am out, as many mornings as possible an hour or more. Patience and persistence make up for my lack of experience.
There are organized groups: the Linnaens, Birding Bob and others. The Linnaens are free, so I sometimes pause among them. The other guides expect fees and do not appreciate "freeloaders." On the other hand, the Park is open to all. Some bird watchers are helpful and share information. There is a clique, whom I call "The Ladies Who Bird," all armed with Austrian binoculars. By their demeanor, it is clear that they want to keep their own company. Otherwise, it is rather friendly. So we are not cohesive but we do meet, share a few minutes together and some information, and then we go on our way.
I must write that I visit only a small fraction of Central Park, which is 320 hectares in extent, of which a quarter is covered by water.
Here is a map of the Park:
http://www.centralparknyc.org/assets/pdfs/maps/cpc_central_park_map.pdf

Happy bird watching,

Hello all,

First of all, let me record the background birds: white throated sparrows, grackles, house sparrows, mallards and blue jays. The last few days hermit thrushes were so numerous as almost to qualify as background birds. There are plenty of song sparrows, as well. I am still seeing kinglets,towhees and even a phoebe, yesterday. On Turtle Ponds, there are still gadwalls and wood ducks.
Today's best birds were a downy woodpecker and red bellied woodpecker, but I did see a hairy woodpecker, as well. Both images by Louis Agassiz Fuertes.
I am attaching two views from Oak Bridge: the first looking south over the Lake and the second, looking north across Bank Rock Pool, aka the Northern Lobe, early in the morning. Both photos taken with an iPod.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Downy.JPG
    Downy.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 67
  • Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    Red bellied woodpecker.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 116
  • From Oak Bridge .jpg
    From Oak Bridge .jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 71
  • Bank Rock Pool.jpg
    Bank Rock Pool.jpg
    420 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Another duck

Hello all,

Aside from seeing another phoebe and kinglet, I can report that I saw my first northern shove(l)lers of the season. They were on Turtle Pond, along with the gadwalls, but, alas, no sign of any wood ducks.

To quote Chico Marx, in the film, Coconuts, "Why a duck, why not a chicken?" I have seen ducks, and even a wild turkey in Central Park, but never a chicken.

The other thrill of the day was seeing a red-tailed hawk, rather close up.
Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• shovellers.jpg
    shovellers.jpg
    239.1 KB · Views: 69
A four duck day on Turtle Pond

Hello,

Today, no kinglets but I am still seeing gray catbirds and plenty of song sparrows, as well as white throated sparrows and a couple of hermit thrushes. A visit to the Lake turned up four wood ducks. However, a visit to revealed three pairs of wood ducks, a pair of gadwalls, northern shovel(l)lers, as well as mallards. Those wood ducks have an amazing ability to disappear in plain sight.

I attach full plates of Louis Agassiz Fuertes illustrations, from the Birds of New York, v.1, 1912, which show some other waterfowl, but the full plates have some interest.

My usual round in Central Park includes much of the area used for Sunday's marathon. Already, fences are going up. Sunday will be impossible for me to look for birds, in my usual places.

Happy bird watching,

Attachments

• Shovelers and Wood ducks.jpg
    Shovelers and Wood ducks.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 116
  • mallards, gadwalls, black duck.jpg
    mallards, gadwalls, black duck.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 89
Oddly poor morning

Hello all,

Today was extremely poor. I saw only one American robin all morning and a couple of grackles, some blue jays and many white throated sparrows. There was an abundance of song sparrows on the maintenance meadow but I saw but one hermit thrush.
A glance at the Lake revealed two northern shovel(l)ers but none on Turtle Pond, although there was still one wood duck, on the shore, under some branches. I had to carefully observe the shore to spot it and the 10x glass helped in identifying it. There was no sign of a gadwall, there. A glimpse aloft did show red tailed hawks.
Tomorrow may be a better day.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• red-tailed hawk, aloft.jpg
    red-tailed hawk, aloft.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 77
Today, I travelled

Hello all,

I arranged to meet a friend at the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refute, today. I chose my 7x42 and a 12x50 on a monopod for the outing. It was more than hour by Metro to Beach Channel, then a fifteen minute walk to the Refuge. A park ranger informed me that West Pond had been breached by Superstorm Sandy, last year, and has widened, in the last year.
This has turned the West Pond into a tidal body. East Pond had received salt water but was "sweetening" with rain, which has been in short supply.
West Pond had a 4.8 kilometre circumferential walk, but doubling back on the longer leg discouraged my friend doing that. As is, I saw brant, which I never see in Central Park, an egret, a greater black backed gull, as well as a double crested cormorant. Compared to other visits, I was disappointed.
We went to the eastern side of Cross Bay Blvd to look at East Pond, for the first time. There we saw another cormorant, ring billed gulls, snow geese, including immature ones, and ruddy ducks.
After a bite to eat, my friend drove me to the Howard Beach-JFK Metro station, where I just missed a train. While waiting on the platform, for fifteen minutes, I looked at a bit of tidal marshland, just to the east. To my delight, I spotted hooded mergansers.
The breach was photographed with an iPod; the bird illustrations, by Lois Agassiz Fuertes, are from The Birds of New York, v. 1,1912

Happy bird watching,
Arthur

Attachments

• West Pond.jpg
    West Pond.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Snow goose.jpg
    Snow goose.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 72
  • Ruddy duck.jpg
    Ruddy duck.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 70