• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Today's Visitors (1 Viewer)

Really counts as yesterday's visitors but...

We noticed that the local Rooks were going mad yesterday and dive-bombing our pond, which is quite a big one. As I went out to investigate, a Sparrowhawk flew off. In the pond, quite close to the edge but in the water, there was a headless Woodpigeon with feathers plucked from its breast.

I went back in doors. The Sparrowhawk made two more passes, one right down to where the WP was. This morning, the WP has gone and there are just a few floating feathers.

Questions: Did the Sparrowhawk come down and carry it off? It was quite waterlogged and probably heavy. Has a fox come along in the night and managed to drag it out. It would have needed front feet well into the water at least. Did the Sparrowhawk drown the WP or was that just where it was dropped? There were a few feathers in a different bit of the garden.

Pat

Intriguing puzzle, Pat.

Can you see any paw prints around the edge of the pond?

As the pigeon was headless, I think it likely a fox got to it first & possibly took it after as well. Foxes can swim.
I don't think a Sparrowhawk could carry a pigeon.

Another thought, a bigger bird killed & partly ate it, but got disturbed, carried it off from where it was killed, but for some reason dropped it over your garden & into the pond. Sparrowhawk saw it & swooped, Rooks saw Sparrowhawk & mobbed it. Then later a fox took it.

Intriguing puzzle, Pat.

Can you see any paw prints around the edge of the pond?

As the pigeon was headless, I think it likely a fox got to it first & possibly took it after as well. Foxes can swim.
I don't think a Sparrowhawk could carry a pigeon.

Another thought, a bigger bird killed & partly ate it, but got disturbed, carried it off from where it was killed, but for some reason dropped it over your garden & into the pond. Sparrowhawk saw it & swooped, Rooks saw Sparrowhawk & mobbed it. Then later a fox took it.

No paw prints Val. I believe that female Sparrowhawks do catch Woodpiegons, but they are at the top of the range. Do Sparrowhawks eat what other birds have killed? We do get Buzzards hereabouts but I've never seen one in the garden, only fairly high up.

The largest bird that I have seen a Spawk manage to fly off with was a Collared Dove and it made heavy work of that! It just about managed to fly over a very low wall before it dropped it. I think that the fox idea is the best one, both for taking it in the first place and removing it. I remember what the foxes used to do to our chickens, it's not nice, and often was the head removed first.

I wouldn't put anything past next door's cat. I've seen it attack WPs before. Also wondered whether the WP had been drinking at the water's edge and the Spawk pounced. It was on its back, having been partially plucked. Feathers elsewhere in the garden may have been from another bird.

Pat

No sign of the male Blackcap this morning, but the moment I'd put the food on the bird table & got to the back door, he was there. How do they know?
Then a very belligerent Starling shooed him off & every other bird, until that one had had it's fill & flown, then the others came..

Last edited:
Garden birding for about 1/4 of an hour just now, I saw..
Blackbids 3
Goldfinches 10
Chaffinches 8
Robin 1
Dunnock 2
Blue tit 1
Starlings 5
Rooks 2
Blackcap 1
Song Thrush 1
Sparrows 6

I bet for the Big Garden Bird Watch weekend of the 28th, there will be, if any, very few.
Sod's law that!:-C

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back