• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Change of Seasons (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

Here we *know* summer is ending when the Monarch Butterflies appear in numbers. They will migrate south to Florida, Cuba or South America!

The Common Grackles are gone. Chimney Swifts and Purple Martins are gone. Humming Birds ... gone.

Many Gold Crowned Kinglets are here. Praying Mantis galore! One has already moved into the house. Lady bugs are moving in too! Funny ... I don't remember seeing a VACANCY sign on the top of our home!

Who tells you the seasons change?

We still have the same birds here, some with young. We don't get many birds that change with the seasons in our garden. Sometimes we have different birds in Winter that don't stay all year round. Like Bramblings, Black Caps & Siskins, though the two latter are native.
Autumn season change here is leaves turning & temperatures dropping.

We get the birds who drift through on their migrations to warmer climes. We get some birds and insects who stay for the long haul too.

Need to get the tropical fishes from the ponds too! Have tried for three days but they remain aloof!

I don't know how, seeing as the pond leaks & I'm always having to top it up, that our gold fish have survived for nigh on 20 years out doors.

Definitely fall here. The Starlings are flocking up and can be seen wheeling over the fields. Geese are flying in fair numbers. Someone was hunting them at the back of our property on Saturday. I hope that they were on the other side of the river rather than on our property.
Our goldfinch seem to survive quite well from year to year. The only real problem is if the pond becomes overcrowded.

Geese flying south

Change in the light

Lots and lots of daddy long legs flying

Big (and I mean big!) spiders appearing in the house

Definitely fall here. The Starlings are flocking up and can be seen wheeling over the fields. Geese are flying in fair numbers. Someone was hunting them at the back of our property on Saturday. I hope that they were on the other side of the river rather than on our property.
Our goldfinch seem to survive quite well from year to year. The only real problem is if the pond becomes overcrowded.

Should have read "goldfish" not goldfinch. Too much birding, I guess!:-C

Oh yes! The mega-poopy Canada Geese are flying! Great Blue Herons as well in groups of 10-30!

Spiders galore! I don't know the species ... I just call them Chunky. Chubby round spiders abound. I was awake most of the night last night because I saw two spiders suspended on their website over our bed. YIKES!!!!

Guess everyone wants to stay kinda warm. Black Mollies and Bettas still evade my net.!

Oh yes! The mega-poopy Canada Geese are flying! Great Blue Herons as well in groups of 10-30!

Spiders galore! I don't know the species ... I just call them Chunky. Chubby round spiders abound. I was awake most of the night last night because I saw two spiders suspended on their website over our bed. YIKES!!!!

Guess everyone wants to stay kinda warm. Black Mollies and Bettas still evade my net.!

No way would I have stayed in that bed.:eek!: I would have had to remove them.:eek!:
I heard an owl, Tawny, last night in the oak tree. Never had one land before though they often fly overhead.

Not much activity in my garden at all, despite my Teasels doing rather well this time, I have only seen Goldfinches once since early spring. The birds I have are for the most part Sparrows and pigeons one of which sits on the chimney calling much to my annoyance when watching telly, even the Blackbirds and Starlings seem to have deserted us. Two large white butterflies doing battle at the moment.
We do get a lot of night flying moths but I have only seen bats once in the last month or so, we are visited by a large dog fox every night who seems to likes to use our garden as a latrine.

George

Lydia! Those spiders would have had to be moved had they been over my bed! :eek!:

Nice that you heard a Tawny, Val. We hear them most nights here. Lovely sound.

We heard Screech Owls. and maybe Great Horned Owls the other night. Spooky and nice at the same time.

Truth be told ... I moved to a big comfy chair in the bedroom ... away from the looming spiders. Still was paranoid enough to sleep with one eye opened. !

Had to laugh though when Mike woke up and screamed like a little girl when a tiny ... TINY ... spider was on his arm.

MY HERO!

Years ago we went to bed and there was the tiniest spider on the ceiling, we decide to leave him there and call him fred, however at that time I used to wear a gold chain round my neck, this must have moved during the night which woke me and my first thought was spider, I must have been about a foot above the bed scrabbling like something out of a cartoon. much to my wife's amusement.

Yes, there is a chill in the air at the moment. Autumn has bestowed herself on us once more

Just got back from Spain a week ago, after 8 days of fabulous birding, (met 4 BF members, at various times so that was nice - great to put a name to a face in real life) and the temperature there was really hot.

Hot weather is is good but to be honest I prefer the British weather as it is cooler and more comfortable to live with

Oh dear, George the scream of fear of those beasties sitting on the bathroom ceiling - do not have that problam her thank goodness - we love our spiders.

Dan nice to see you here.

Lydia: Just to say hello, and i hope all is well with yourself. I hope to be posting a little more here as life has been a little on the busy side.

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
Should have read "goldfish" not goldfinch. Too much birding, I guess!:-C

I knew what you meant 3:)

Leaves starting to change colour up here in Northumberland and already, in a couple of places on horse chestnuts, some gorgeous golds and reds :t: I've recharged the camera's batteries so I can keep it on me and at the ready at all times in the coming weeks. Still a few swallows swirling up above but noticeably fewer than last week. The multitude of wasps seemed to have eased thankfully....and sadly so have the butterflies :-C A few winter migrants starting to arrive this past week ~ Pink-footed Geese, Snow Buntings and Redwings.
Lots of fruit around on trees and hedges too :t:

Over the coming weeks I want to spend a fair bit of time whenever possible in nearby Hulne Park as I'm determined to FINALLY catch my first ever sight and sound of the deer rut. Quite a few Fallow present and also small numbers of Red.

To be honest...I'm just pleased the season is finally changing as this summer has been TOO hot for me :smoke: It's 13c today and just a nice temperature for me :t:

We seem to have a lot of Yellow-rumped Warblers passing through this week. As far as colour goes, the Virginia Creeper is in full flush. Some of it climbs 10 -15 m up the trees giving a gorgeous red colour contrasting dramatically with the green of the spruce needles. Between the creeper and the brilliant orange of the Mountain Ash berries it is getting quite colourful out there.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back