• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Caterpillars ... Oh My! (1 Viewer)

Chickadeedeedee

Hiya! ;)

We have a ~bumper crop~ of caterpillars this year! Spicebush Swallowtails, Tiger Swallowtails, Wooly Bears and some chubby green guys too.

Never saw so many caterpillars!!!! The most likely reason is because we left 2 areas of the back yard to do what nature wanted. Nature wanted an assortment of toads, frogs, weeds and caterpillars. :-O :t:

Some of the Wooly Bears are as long and thick as my index finger! :eek!: Must be some kinda body-builders. LOL!

So far no Praying Mantis have knocked on the door.

The Hummers are gone and the Dark-eyed Juncos are starting to visit.

Put some vanilla wafers out for the squirrels and bunnies yesterday and today. Surely YOU have vanilla wafers growing in the wild where you live. ;)

Until next time ...

~~~~~~> You can wake up now....

With all those 'pillars you're going to have the birds pouring in - so that'll save you some bird seed;)

Put some vanilla wafers out for the squirrels and bunnies yesterday and today. Surely YOU have vanilla wafers growing in the wild where you live

I'm not too sure that vanilla grows in the wild over here - it must small lovely. Are the 'wafers' the leaves?

Hi Lydia
Pleased to here of the success of your wild patch, I will show my wife this post as we have a running battle over my little scruffy patch, shudder to think what will happen to it when I fall off my perch, and as Delia says plenty of food for bird babies.
George

Hiya!

I think the wild patches are too wild. Vanilla wafers are much appreciated by the squirrels and bunnies! No doubt about it. We did have a vanilla orchid vine growing in a willow tree several years ago when a squirrel snatched it and ~planted it~ in her nest high up ! She was a very good gardener and the thing thrived! Had a neighbor with a cherry picker bucket take the plant back in late September. ~SIGH~. Good times then.

Hi again.

Today was the invasion of the Wooly Bear caterpillars. Went out the front door and saw at least 6 of the fuzzy ones on the walls. Not sure if they were asking to come in or they were looking for a place to make their cocoons. Sure were cute though. They seem to have replaced the Praying Mantis guests this year.

Also BRIEFLY had big chunky spiders inside! BRIEFLY!

~~~~~~~~~~~~> Saw an American Bald Eagle flying along the lake shore yesterday. AWESOME!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back