• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What geese would these be? (1 Viewer)

David L Falcon

I was bike-riding with friends along the Georges River at Lansvale, NSW. Across the river was a large flock of geese on the water. I would guess well over a hundred. From my distance they appeared to be all white, which I think would rule out Magpie Geese and Cape Barren Geese. It is hard to believe they were domestic birds gone wild in such numbers but I may be wrong, Next time I will take a photo for sure.
Can anyone suggest what they might be?

I was bike-riding with friends along the Georges River at Lansvale, NSW. Across the river was a large flock of geese on the water. I would guess well over a hundred. From my distance they appeared to be all white, which I think would rule out Magpie Geese and Cape Barren Geese. It is hard to believe they were domestic birds gone wild in such numbers but I may be wrong, Next time I will take a photo for sure.
Can anyone suggest what they might be?

The only commercial goose farm I can find on line for NSW is U Goose at Guyra; they purchased the entire commercial goose stock from a farm on Kangaroo Island, which is now no longer farming geese. Guyra is about 440km almost due north of your sighting. It also has a Nature Reserve called 'Mother of Ducks'...

However, the Roman goose, a breed of domestic goose originally from Italy, is kept as a show bird and is bred for meat in small numbers in Australia.

Almost certainly the birds you saw were some variety of domestic goose. They may have escaped whn Oz had that heavy rain at the end of the recent drought...
MJB

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back