• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID (1 Viewer)

jimmmer

Hi I would like you assistance in identifying this bird. It was photographed on June 27, on the West Coast of Barbados after a week of strong easterly winds. This is the only photograph that was sent by a none birder who just noticed a strange bird. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 5.29.19 PM.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 5.29.19 PM.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Looks like either Hermit or Black throated green warbler? If you are able to crop the original its possible there may be some more detail visible.

Last edited:
Looks like either Hermit or Black throated green warbler? If you are able to crop the original its possible there may be some more detail visible.

Here is it crop and sharpen does this help any?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 5.29.19 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-06-28 at 5.29.19 PM.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 55
I agree that it does look like Hermit Warbler. But, eBird has no records of Hermit Warbler for the entire West Indies.

What do they have for Black-throated Green Warbler?

Black-throated Green Warbler has numerous records from Dominica north and west into Cuba and the Bahamas. There is a single record from Barbados, from April 30, 1993. There is only one June-July record for the West Indies, from Saint Barthélemy on June 2, 2019.

The timing is interesting, perhaps a 2cy bird not quite making the full journey or alternatively moving (out of sync) across the Caribbean rather than up through Central America? Quite surprising that there are relatively few extralimital records for some NA passerines from the West Indies, the whole archipelago looks like one continuous vagrant trap!

My initial impression was Hermit, but looking closely I think I can see stronger black striping on the flanks, which pushes me to say Black-throated Green.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back