• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

San Francisco, CA. Hawk? (1 Viewer)

mrtn

This fellow was sitting outside my window for a while, it was quite large and I'm curious to find out what bird it is. Anyone?

Attachments

• bird2.jpg
    bird2.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 96
Seems like about 95 percent of the hawks I see are usually Red-tailed Hawks. They are so variable that sometimes they might appear to be something else! However, your picture has a few things that indicate to me that this might be something a little bit different. The apparent large size, the feathered legs, the large bill and long gape got me to thinking that this might be a Ferruginous Hawk. I will watching this thread to see what others have to say about the ID of this bird.

It's a Red-tailed Hawk. There are lots of reasons it's not a Ferruginous but one point is that only the tibia is feathered. The tarsus is unfeathered and yellow.

Yeah, probably a RTHA ... the bill looked a bit large to me, and the gape seemed to extend farther back on this bird than it does on most RTHAs that I see. * Also, some of the FEHA photos I "googled" did not show the feathering tarsus. Could the tarsus be "lightly feathered" with compact, whitish feathers (the toes appear yellow, but the tarsus seems whitish (perhaps "photographic artifact")).

* Given the urban location though, a RTHA would be the most likely candidate!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back