• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Twite? (1 Viewer)

SeanKP

Fledgling
My best guess is a twite but can anyone confirm or deny? Many thanks.

Sean

Attachments

• brownjob3.jpg
    brownjob3.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 220
My best guess would be a female Linnet. You don't mention where or when you took the photo, but if local to you and recently, a Twite would also be very unlikely. More a winter bird to coastlines, etc, in your part of the world.

Must admit that Linnet sprung to mind for me as well - it looks just like the ones we have around at present.

Yeah, I'd agree that it's a female linnet.

Twite generally has a variably yellow beak, whereas this bird has the standard issue linnet grey Laughing Tackle.

Last edited:
Keith Reeder said:
Twite generally has a variably yellow beak, whereas this bird has the standard issue linnet grey Laughing Tackle.

I think that twite only have a yellow bill in winter (when I normally see them), but it is grey/brown in breeding plumage.

Thanks guys. Female linnet it is then.

Frustratingly, none of my books mention that I'm most likely to see Twites in winter on the coast and in fact a couple of them say that they are to be found on moorland which is where I saw it (Stanwell Moor). Apart from the size of the bill (see my recent reed bunting thread for why THAT is frustrating) the various pictures of twites in my books resemble (to me, at least) this bird much more closely than the pictures of female linnets.

Attached is a picture of a bird (also taken at Stanwell Moor) which I had identified as a female linnet. Now to me, this has a much more distinctive light patch on the cheek and the stripes along the side of the wing (outer primaries?) are much more pronounced. I've learnt that all birds of the same kind don't look identical (see the aforementioned reed bunting thread) but I am finding all this very frustrating.

Oh well, I guess I just need to keep plugging away...

Sean

Attachments

• linnet.jpg
    linnet.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
The trouble is that when your books say 'moorland' they mean moors in Scotland and the North of England and so on. Down here in the 'soft South' they are Winter visitors to the coast. (Mainly.)

Hi Postcard,

definitely yellowest in the Winter, and that's when I usually see 'em too, but I thought they retained a hint of yellow, albeit darker, throughout the year.

Maybe not, in which case I've learned something too...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back