• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

which code? (1 Viewer)

Binocularface

You've all got one...............!
Hi,

I have used html code on my current website, but was wondering what the benefits of php, asp or coldfusion would be?
Any info on the pro's and cons would be helpful!

Regards
Tristan

Tristan,

the thing with "script" languages like php and asp is that they introduce an entirely different way of creating and updating a website.

Instead of having to create a new page of HTML for every page of your website, a php script allows you to a create of "instructions" which will then automatically generate new pages as and when required, which you populate with content: and thanks to the addition of WYSIWYG text editors like TinyMCE (for example) you need only go to the admin area of your website, tell it to create a new page, and then type into your browser (uploading and adding images as required), just like you do here.

In fact, this website is a perfect example of "why php" (though it applies equally to any script-driven site, it's just that you usually have to pay for asp): how could you do this with hard coding?

It also means that you can keep on top of your site when away from your home PC: I can log onto my websites from any browser if I get the urge to update them.

The ability to "skin" php-generated sites using built-in template functionality means that you can completely change the look and feel of your site in a few seconds if you want to.

Another advantage of scripts - depending on the script used and your inclination - is that multiple users can update them and add/amend content without knowing anything about HTML.

TinyMCE and the rest are just like using a word processor (everyone can do that), but when you'e finished, you've instantly got new web content - all without the contributor having to do a single thing about the "markup" - the formatting that makes the site look the way you want it.

That's what you need to do with HTML - as you know, you need add HTML tags around the content to get the browser to display it the way you want it to look - but the script approach completely removes that need.

"Separating presentation from content", as it's called, ably assisted by CSS templating.

You can of course use CSS with "normal" HTML pages and get many of the advantages of separating presentation and content, but a scripted approach is much easier, learning curve notwithstanding.

Scripted sites are generally more "dynamic" and can - if you want - provide far more user interactivity (guestbooks, forums, comments etc).

Some reading...

http://www.greycobra.com/articles/php-vs-html-beginners-guide/page-1.html
http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~jfulton/php1/static-dynamic.html

The best thing is that once you've sorted out some hosting that supports php (and - maybe - a database, though not all php websites need a database backend), there are a plethora of php website/forum/blog scripts, and the vast majority are free.

Most generate Standards Compliant HTML too, which might be important to you.

Just something to get you thinking...

Last edited:
Hi Keith,

Thanks very much for your response to my enquiry. It certainly seems to be the direction I would like to go with my website, once I have got my head around the concepts and processes involved! The dynamics of script certainly sounds like running my website would be alot easier, one I have worked out how to do it!

Regards
Tristan

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back