• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falcon sheltering from typhoon (1 Viewer)

That's a pretty bedraggled looking peregrinator! It would have been interesting to know just where that photo was taken (presumably in southern China not too far from the coast?) - I wonder how often they are seen in cities there.

I've seen the photo from a couple of other sources. I heard it's in Hong Kong.

Peregrines are reported in the urban area here from time to time, but not that often and they are probably under-reported to some extent. There's no real reason that they shouldn't do well in urban Hong Kong - the buildings should be OK as breeding habitat and there are potential sources of food (eg pigeons).

Hong Kong was pretty badly hit by Mangkhut, which came very close to the city. Lots of damage to trees that still hasn't been cleared yet, 10 days after the storm. It's going to take a few years for trees to recover. Local birds have probably taken a hit, especially those that rely on forest and those using trees in urban parks (eg bulbuls).

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back