Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Nikon 100 Years Binoculars at Nikon Museum

Old Monday 13th August 2018, 00:35   #1
AltaVista

Nikon 100 Years Binoculars at Nikon Museum

Nikon celebrates 100 years of binoculars with a rather impressive exhibit at the Nikon Museum in Tokyo:

https://www.nikon.com/about/corporat...htm#binoculars

There are some good photos of the exhibit posted on a Japanese website:

https://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/...t/1131953.html

As a long time binocular collector and user I do wish I had the time to pop over to Tokyo for a visit but it is not good timing for my work schedule or budget. What I wish more is that Nikon keeps innovating with new high performance binoculars in the future!

Stephanie S
Tucson AZ USA

BTW: Thanks for this great forum, my first post but have been a reader for some time.
Old Monday 13th August 2018, 03:34   #2
ceasar

Welcome to Bird Forum Stephanie S.!

Thank you for posting those interesting photos.

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 13th August 2018, 07:58   #3
Troubador

Thanks from me too Stephanie. Very, very interesting.

I wonder if Nikon will do anything special at the British Bird Fair later this week to celebrate this important anniversary. I will be sure to report on it if they do.

And welcome to Birdforum Stephanie.

Lee
Old Monday 13th August 2018, 08:41   #4
AltaVista

I for one am certainly hoping that Nikon will return to the alpha class for handheld binoculars in the near future now that the impressive (but somewhat flawed) EDG series is discontinued. I have not been able to use any of the Monarch HG glasses yet but they seem to fit competitively in the mid range class. Nikon has proven their extraordinary capability over the years and lately with the WX binoculars. I had a chance to use a friend's 7X50 WX for a while and never have I seen such a magnificent image. Totally impractical except for tripod use (or with other suitable support) . Absolute heavenly for astronomy!

My guess is that it may be a while before we see new Nikon alphas but one can hope.

Stephanie

Last edited by AltaVista : Monday 13th August 2018 at 08:43.
Old Monday 13th August 2018, 09:37   #5
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaVista View Post
I for one am certainly hoping that Nikon will return to the alpha class for handheld binoculars in the near future now that the impressive (but somewhat flawed) EDG series is discontinued. I have not been able to use any of the Monarch HG glasses yet but they seem to fit competitively in the mid range class. Nikon has proven their extraordinary capability over the years and lately with the WX binoculars. I had a chance to use a friend's 7X50 WX for a while and never have I seen such a magnificent image. Totally impractical except for tripod use (or with other suitable support) . Absolute heavenly for astronomy!

My guess is that it may be a while before we see new Nikon alphas but one can hope.

Stephanie
Stephanie I will ask about an EDG replacement at the Bird Fair but unless launch is imminent companies are often secretive about new product.

Lee
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: