• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cleaning inside of of tube feeder's tube (1 Viewer)

MrBJones

Is it usually necessary to fully sanitize the inside of the tube? I'm thinking a good wipe with water/vinegar solution would be enough, since birds never touch the inside or the holes (it has metal perches etc around the holes).

What do you think?

Last edited:
Is it usually necessary to fully sanitize the inside of the tube? I'm thinking a good wipe with water/vinegar solution would be enough, since birds never touch the inside or the holes (it has metal perches etc around the holes).

What do you think?

Some sort of internal cleaning wouldn't be amiss as long as the metal perches are fully sanitized. If you're making a solution in a bucket to do the perches then why not give the inside a quick sloosh around?

Some sort of internal cleaning wouldn't be amiss as long as the metal perches are fully sanitized. If you're making a solution in a bucket to do the perches then why not give the inside a quick sloosh around?

I don't really use a bucket...more of a pan that smaller and medium-sized parts fit in for an hour soak. A long tube won't fit more than 5 or 6 inches on each end.

Thanks for your reply!

I bought a round brush intended for cleaning toilets at a dollar store. Since mold is the concern I identify inside feeders, I find vinegar works very well. There is no need to sterilize the inside of the tubes etc as if they were surgical instruments. Concerns will of course depend on what the feeder is dispensing. Sunflower seed in hulls for instance is very spoil resistant, nyger seed not at all so.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back