• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help re info on British double metal ringed Common Terns (1 Viewer)

Lee C

Hi all

I found a juvenile Common Tern recently at Dawlish Warren NNR, Devon with metal rings on both legs.

I couldn't read the BTO ring, but managed a read the other ring, four digits, two above, two below (similar/ same to Rosy Specials).

BTO drew a blank, as did RSPB and Irish who deal with Rosy Terns also looked into it and wasn't one of their's.

Can anybody with knowledge on double metal ringed Common Terns shed any light on somebody I can contact regards finding out information on the birds history, somebody out there must know after all?

Could it have come from Coquet/ Farne Islands?

Curious to find out, especially as it drew a blank with the BTO

Hi Jamie

I've read hundreds of rings at Dawlish Warren, seen countless Darvics and Colour ringed birds.

This bird did have two metal rings, one on each leg, just hoping somebody can shed some light on where it came from

Lee

Didn't mean to imply you didn't know a faded colour ring when you saw one, that's something I've fallen for.
I can't really see a situation in that anyone would be permitted to use two metal rings, may be worth contacting the ringers around Dawlish?

Interesting thought Micheal but I promise you Lee can identify terns.

And he does refer to the Rockabill Roseates ...
I couldn't read the BTO ring, but managed a read the other ring, four digits, two above, two below (similar/ same to Rosy Specials).
BTO drew a blank, as did RSPB and Irish who deal with Rosy Terns also looked into it and wasn't one of their's.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back