• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which Seals, Scotland (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Oh I'm useless at these, can never work out which is which.

Can you help me out on these two please. Both taken near Ormsary, Knapdale, West Coast of Scotland in May.

Attachments

• Seal for ID.jpg
    Seal for ID.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 80
  • Seal 2 for ID.jpg
    Seal 2 for ID.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 84
Both Common, indeed. Common Seals are quite variable in coat but facial structure will always give them away: short broad muzzle with a very distinct forehead and vertical nostrils. Grey Seal has a "Roman-nosed" look with a low or no forehead running onto a longer narrow muzzle and nostrils tilted top ends outwards.

A Common Seal is also a short fat thing compared to a Grey.

John

Thank you too, Lee.

I've been asked if the 'white' one is actually a fat youngster that has now been left to fend for itself?

Not a clue of course.

Thank you too, Lee.

I've been asked if the 'white' one is actually a fat youngster that has now been left to fend for itself?

Not a clue of course.

I'd say not because you can see that where the fur is wet, it is darker: I rather think the whole thing is patterned as you can see on its head and shoulders but a bit bleached out.

Common Seals can swim immediately (unlike Greys) so although obviously they eventually become independent, they aren't abandoned in the same way as young Greys.

John

OK thanks John. I'll pass that on.

While we're talking .... which are the ones that pretend they're bananas LOL? Or do they both do that?

OK thanks John. I'll pass that on.

While we're talking .... which are the ones that pretend they're bananas LOL? Or do they both do that?

They both do that. It makes me laugh at the same time as it baffles me. They're seals, why do they hate getting their tails wet?

John

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back