• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowloading music (1 Viewer)

P

peter hayes

Hi All

Please could someone give me some advice s to how to download music? Ages ago i used Napster, but that's defunct. green Fields suggested Kazaalite, but that site is down. All I want to do is download some tunes, but I assume I need to download some software first.

Peter

Hello Peter

I'm using WinMX (found at http://www.winmx.com). It doesn't incorporate 'Spyware' unlike Kazaa, so it's perfectly safe to use. There are many thousands of MP3s on there, so it's well-worth having a look at.

Current version is 3.31, so that's the one to go for. Good luck!

Having trouble

Hi Both

I successfully downloaded WinMX, but when I tried to get it going it asked where I wanted to save the incoming files? I tried all three drives I have, C, D and E but in each case it said it couldn't detect where to save things. Any ideas?

Peter

Hm.

I think it wants a destination directory - somewhere you can import all those files you download. The usual one is:

C:\My Documents\My Music

or something similar to that. Another one you can set up is:

C:\Downloads

I've created a 'Downloads' directory where I stick everything, until I dispense it around one of four hard drives.

I think you need to tell it to locate a specfic directory, Peter, as opposed to a specfic drive letter.

Let us know how it goes!

Ralph

Thanks, I found the right directory and thought I had successfully finished the installation. But I failed to download any music. A box came up saying 'couldn't finish initialising application because of unknown error' (number 5688). Any ideas?

Peter

Ralph/IanF

Thanks again for your help. I'm be in Devon later this week where I have a modern machine with Windows XP so I think I'll abandon things here in London on the downloading music front until the New Year, when I intend to get this model fully cleaned out and zapped up!

Best wishes.

Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back