• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spring visit (1 Viewer)

Nigel Davies

My wife and myself are coming to Somerset at the end of April and will be based at Sutton Mallet, any recommendation on local birding sites will be very helpful.

Many thanks for your help

Nigel.

Don't know where Sutton Mallet is but Ham Wall RSPB must be worth a visit. Bitterns should be very active at that time of year plus if its late in the month the first Hobbies may be starting to arrive though this is better in May.

Hi Luke,

Ham wall is very close to where we will be staying, so that's one day sorted.

my wife and myself have spent many happy holidays in or near Weymouth so we enjoyed looking at your blog, great photos.

all the best Nigel

Agree entirely, Ham Wall RSPB and the surrounding wetlands are a must.

Also, at that time of year, the Quantocks must be worth a visit and should be a contrast to Norfolk. If you like a good walk, try setting out from Holford; if not then try driving up Cockercombe and to Triscombe Stone.

Keep an eye on the Somerset Bird News forum, hope this link works.

Would thoroughly recommend Greylake too, only a few miles from Ham Wall, which is marvellous, hope you see a bittern! The hobbies are wonderful and I've also seen ospreys from Noah's hide.

Steve

Hello and thank you,

thank you every one for your help and it has made planning our trip at lot easier.

Dave, I found your link very interesting.

All the best

Nigel

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back