• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon ED50 (1 Viewer)

scampo said:
Very nice shot of the puffin - speaks well of that little scope!

The Nikon adapter will not allow the zoom to operate once fitted - but to be honest, digiscoping beyond 25x is hardly a good idea - too much magnification.

Thanks Steve - so If I set the zoom to say 20x then attach the adapter I can use it as a fixed length lens?

Richard D said:
Thanks Steve - so If I set the zoom to say 20x then attach the adapter I can use it as a fixed length lens?

I've posted a query regarding connecting a Coolpix 4300 in the digiscoping section but have just a few questions before I frighten the bank manager:

Has anyone detected any noticeable difference in image quality between the angled and the straight?

Does the angled work okay on a shoulder pod?

Any other 'hand held' support options besides the Cullman Shoulder pod?

How protective is the supplied case?

Is the green or grey option the coolest looking? ;)

Thanks

Richard

Richard D said:
That's right - no problems at all and a good lens. You will need to zoom in, I expect, to get rid of vignetting.

Richard D said:
I've posted a query regarding connecting a Coolpix 4300 in the digiscoping section but have just a few questions before I frighten the bank manager:

Has anyone detected any noticeable difference in image quality between the angled and the straight?

Does the angled work okay on a shoulder pod?

Any other 'hand held' support options besides the Cullman Shoulder pod?

How protective is the supplied case?

Is the green or grey option the coolest looking? ;)

Thanks

Richard
I can't imagine there being any optical difference between the two types of ED50. I use the angled version with the Cullman shoulder pod - a very easy-to-use combination. The supplied case is not waterproof but does the job during transit - it maybe could do with a proper stay-on case but it's such a compact scope that I suspect it's likely to be less prone to knocks than a larger scope.

Green or grey? Hmm. I didn't know it was available in two colours!

scampo said:
I can't imagine there being any optical difference between the two types of ED50. I use the angled version with the Cullman shoulder pod - a very easy-to-use combination. The supplied case is not waterproof but does the job during transit - it maybe could do with a proper stay-on case but it's such a compact scope that I suspect it's likely to be less prone to knocks than a larger scope.

Green or grey? Hmm. I didn't know it was available in two colours!

Thanks for that. I'm used to a straight scope, but I think the angled might be the better option for outside the hide. It was supposed to be three colours, but I don't think the tempting pink arrived.

Richard D said:
Thanks for that. I'm used to a straight scope, but I think the angled might be the better option for outside the hide. It was supposed to be three colours, but I don't think the tempting pink arrived.
Pink, eh? Wow.

I need the angled as I'm so tall - in a hide a straight-through wouldn't work for me at 6'4"!

Hi All,
I took these yesterday evening, once again Hand Held. I'm sure the "Experts" out there, with a proper adapter, could get some really top quality shots with this scope. I can only take photos of subjects which sit still for 5 minutes. I'll keep practising!!

Attachments

• web1.jpg
    web1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 285
  • web2.jpg
    web2.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 275
  • web3.jpg
    web3.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 262
robsonc said:
Hi All,
I took these yesterday evening, once again Hand Held. I'm sure the "Experts" out there, with a proper adapter, could get some really top quality shots with this scope. I can only take photos of subjects which sit still for 5 minutes. I'll keep practising!!

I'd be very pleased with shots one and three (and not exactly unhappy with two).
|=)|

robsonc said:
Hi All,
Great shots - well done. I find digiscoping too time consuming myself with the adaptes and so forth, so I leave the camera at home and concentrate on looking at our feathered friends. Hand held shots as good as yours are making me think again!

Last edited:
I've just popped into my local camera shop, and as they agreed to price match the best internet prices I could find (and seemed a lot more interested in my order than one of the on-line shops) I've ordered an angled ED50, 13-40 zoom, the hideously overpriced FSA1,2,3 and F-CP885 adapters for my 4300 and a Cullmann Shoulder-pod. Should arrive early next week. :bounce:

BTW Gentlemen if you get an angry phone call from either my wife or my bank manager, I'm sorry, but as it was your advice and Chris's shot of the puffin that convinced me to place an order they may blame you. ;)

Richard D said:
I've just popped into my local camera shop, and as they agreed to price match the best internet prices I could find (and seemed a lot more interested in my order than one of the on-line shops) I've ordered an angled ED50, 13-40 zoom, the hideously overpriced FSA1,2,3 and F-CP885 adapters for my 4300 and a Cullmann Shoulder-pod. Should arrive early next week. :bounce:

BTW Gentlemen if you get an angry phone call from either my wife or my bank manager, I'm sorry, but as it was your advice and Chris's shot of the puffin that convinced me to place an order they may blame you. ;)
You're in for some fun! And no shoulder ache, either!

scampo said:
Great shots - well done. I find digiscoping too time consuming myself with the adaptes and so forth, so I leave the camera at home and concentrate on looking at our feathered friends. Hand held shots as good as yours are making me think again!
I was of the same opinion but as I nearly always have my camera in my pocket I thought I'd give it a go when the opportunity arose. Although the results are not perfect I think they're good enough to "Stick in the Album".

robsonc said:
I was of the same opinion but as I nearly always have my camera in my pocket I thought I'd give it a go when the opportunity arose. Although the results are not perfect I think they're good enough to "Stick in the Album".
I have the Nikon CP4500 which is a bit too big for the pocket, I reckon (and a bit slow in reacting by modern standards).

I should think the middle shot lost a touch of contrast because some stray light might have got in with it being hand held? The other two are fine shots with plenty of contrast and sharpness.

Richard D said:

Richard

I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I've been with this scope. I'm looking forward to seeing what shots you achieve with it.

Richard D said:

Brilliant choice and overall package - enjoy immensely.

robsonc said:
Richard

I'm sure you'll be as pleased as I've been with this scope. I'm looking forward to seeing what shots you achieve with it.

Thanks - If I get anything like approaching your's I'll be pleased.

PYRTLE said:
Brilliant choice and overall package - enjoy immensely.

More than I wanted to spend, but I'm looking forward to something quick to use, and hopefully reasonable to take on general walks 'just in case'. I've been making do with a late 80's Mirador Optolyth draw tube clone for far too long. It doesn't give a bad view and for a 75mm scope it's compact, but weighs a ton, takes a while to set up, and hopeless for even basic digiscoping. Thanks for the pointers on adapters.

there is an offer on w/express

Nikon ED50 Ang. Grey c/w 20xW MC, F/S-CP9XX & FSA
Coolpix 4500 with
FREE Battery,
FREE Case

£759

not sure how much of a reduction that is.

I've been using the ED50 with a Canon A70 to digiscope - maybe not the best combination but it does have the advantage of the A70 lens fitting really snuggly into the Nikon MCII zoom eyepiece making it easier to get a steady shot off.

However the A70 CCD's packed up so I'm interested in getting a newer model. Is anyone aware of any other compact cameras whose lens fit similarly snuggly into the Nikon MCII eyepiece? Ideally I'd be looking for a really light compact camera to make it easier to keep things steady - the A70 is quite heavy.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dom

dombates said:
I've been using the ED50 with a Canon A70 to digiscope - maybe not the best combination but it does have the advantage of the A70 lens fitting really snuggly into the Nikon MCII zoom eyepiece making it easier to get a steady shot off.

However the A70 CCD's packed up so I'm interested in getting a newer model. Is anyone aware of any other compact cameras whose lens fit similarly snuggly into the Nikon MCII eyepiece? Ideally I'd be looking for a really light compact camera to make it easier to keep things steady - the A70 is quite heavy.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dom

I think it might be a case of taking the eyepiece along to the local camer shops. Off the top of my head the Coolpix P2 looks about right - might be worth a look.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back