• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Spotting Scope 82 RAIII WP (1 Viewer)

spurven

I am new in birding and want to buy a "cheap" spotting scope that I can use for both birdwatching and later on also later on digiscoping.

I considere buying nikon Spotting Scope 82 RAIII WP.

But I can't find any test or other indepentent reviews of this scope. Does anybody have any experience with this one or have a good advice for a better scope for the same amount of money apr. 1000$ / 750 euro.

many thanks in advance for your replies!:t:

spurven
Hedmark
Norway

I dont think you will find a better scope in the $1000 range or even higher.
Another very good scope in the under $1000 is the pentax pf ed.
Brian.

Opticron scopes have decent optics at affordable prices and have their own dedicated digiscoping accesories + a complete kit (camera, adapter etc.). The ES 80 GA ED is a very popular scope over here, angled only though if that's a problem. I think they'd be your best bet if you can get them in Norway.

The RA III does not have ED glass which is quite important for digiscoping.

Hope I'm helping!
Adam

Last edited:
opticron

Thanks for replies.

I haven't found any pentax scopes over here. Can se if I can find a dealer and get some information about those.

I have looked also at the opticron scopes. But the ES GAS 80 ED with eye-piece goes a bit over my budget (costs apr. 1000 euro). But on the other side the scope I want to buy have to be at my comrade in many years to come. So if extending my budget a little will give me a much better scope I will consider this seriously.
I understand that ED glass is superior over normal lenses but how much better is it in practice. Will pictures in good light conditions be good with both types off lenses and the difference be visible in poor light conditions or will you find differnce in all conditions?

spurven

Last edited:
A non-ED scope can digiscope with good results, I should know as I've done it and ohers have to. However there are times when ED glass really does help, like in poor light when it can allow enough light to pass through the scope to give you a better shutter speed.
It also helps in strong light when glare off some objects and white plumage produce colour fringing, like the metal in the photo below. ED glass may not get rid of it completely but it would help.

With regards the ES 80, a friend of mine is lucky enough to own both the older model ES 80 ED and a Swarovski ATS 80 HD and he told me today that at 20x (he has 20-60x zooms for both of them) there is very little difference between them. At 60x though, he said the Swaro does perform quite a bit better, however, as digiscoping is always best at 20x on zooms then the ES 80 will be very good for digiscoping.

In my opinion (for the love of god don't think that what I am telling you is your only option) saving up and getting the ES 80 ED would be worthwile and I'm sure you wouldn't regret owning one. As always though have a look through some scopes if there are any optics shops near you before you commit to buying anything.

Second-hand ES 80 ED's are frequently sold on here, maybe someone will be willing to ship one to Norway. Best of luck. :t:
Adam

Attachments

• DSCN6308.jpg
    DSCN6308.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 924
I have the Nikon 82mm Scope RAIII WP and use it for digiscoping its OK upto
say 40M but beyond this you do get less sharp so if you want to digiscope
beyond this to get better results go for the ED82 i will upgrade to it next year

Haven't decided yet.

I am seriously considering the opticron ES GA 80 ED, but haven't totaly giving up on the RAIII WP as well. Have to try to find enough money or find a good used scope (rather rare to find good used scopes in Norway). I see the importance of the ED glass especially if I wan't to use the scope for digiscoping and birding in poor condions. Anyway both are much better and the 25 year old 7X binoculars I use now!

Spurven

The deciding factor for me was the FS III ED & ED 50 both use the same EP's meaning I can but just the body (80) when funds allow :)

I bought the Spotting Scope 82 RAIII WP

Finally I was able to make a desicion.

I bought the Nikon Spotting Scope 82 RAIII WP.

Just haven't got the funds for more right now. Spoke to another person who had testet both the Spotting Scope 82 RAIII WP and the opticron ES 80 ED and he told me that although the Nikon scope didn't have ED glass it was still brighter (and cheaper) and was his choice among those 2. He didn't knew any other scope that could match this one for the same price. Wasn't able to do this testing myself.
I have been looking through both swarovski and nikon ed82 scopes and fully recognise that those are far superior over the one I have bought. But the birds we watch are still the same.

Nikon kid,
The picture of the snipe was really good and sharp (so this scope can't be all that bad), what was the distance the snipe at the picture?

greetings
spurven

Nikon kid,
The picture of the snipe was really good and sharp (so this scope can't be all that bad), what was the distance the snipe at the picture?

greetings
spurven

The Snipe was taken at a distance of 20-25m, also with all digiscoping
you do need to make small adjustment in picture software, such as
Adobe Photoshop. I adjust Brightness & Contrast levels if needed and
always give it one Sharpen.

The Snipe Picture is in this Months Bird Forum Competition I like it as well

I have used the scope now in some weeks. Used it during heavy clouded weather, during sunny weather, looked birds on a big lake and used it in the forest.
Must admit that the scope is infact better then I imagined. For low budget scope it is bright and it is very clear on both short and long distance. Up to 50X it is really good. Above 50X, the view isn't perfect but still better then I had hoped.
The body feels solid and no problems getting the view in focus.

So in other words to all who reads this and can't affort a 82ED or a Swarovski the RAIII 82 WP should be a scope to considder.

Greetings
spurven

Do you still like the Nikon?

hello Spurven!

I'm in the same situation as you were a few years ago, namely I'm interested in the Nikon scope.
What do you think of it today?
Still worth the money?
Do you still have it?

Sincerely,

Peter

I think you could pick this type scope up second hand now for a bargain price.

I have now moved onto DSLR camera.

Hi Terry, Spurven hasn't replied to anything on here since post #12, try an email if no reply to this for a while. My brother-in-law has the 65 RAIII WP [Prostaff here in N.A.] and let me try it for a while, I found it a very nice scope, tested resolution and was close to diffraction limited, but it did have some CA. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_limit
Regards,Steve

You know Frank when I still had the 20x60mm Sky & Earth I got off you I would of liked to compare the 60mm S&E to the 65 Prostaff of my brother-in-law. The 60mm Sky & Earth seems to be put together more like the Fieldscope and the Prostaff seems more made of plasitc to me. The Prostaff grew on me after a while. I guess I am not answering your question very well. I will say the 20x60mmSky & Earth did not equal the resolution of my non ED 20-45x60mm Fieldscope. This was using my 2 1/2 x extender in the Sky&Earth- about 50X and 45x in the Fieldscope.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back